Mrs C

MrsSee

This depends on so many factors, which site you're booked on to, what the weather is like, where in the field you end up parking.  Even someone else's breakdown on the way out.  

To be safe, you might be better booking your ferry for Tuesday. 

It’s what 4 hours to Holyhead? Add 2 for fuckups and a break, unless you are going to leave Sunday night or very very early Monday morning I’d say the earliest  you want the ferry is Monday evening. It all goes to shit if it’s another ‘16 though.

that said in 2016 we left at lunchtime on the Monday and it only took 40 mins to get off site.

We usually book the ferry (not from Hollyhead) for the Tuesday, East cv can take time to clear and its horrible leaving on Sunday night .... unless you want to queue in the dark etc. Other option is to leave super super early on the Monday - and then queus die down around 1-2pm - we usually get off at lunchtime and book stauy down by the ferry and then get an early tuesday ferry - it just feels better if you can do it

You have read my mind - just about to ask the same question.

Got my Glasto tickets, got my CV east Quiet ticket, just booked campervan today, and next job is to work out the logistics of getting to and from Belfast.

Belfast-Dublin-Holyhead-Glasto looking best at the moment.

How long is the drive - can you do it in 4 -5 hrs?  Ferry at Holyhead is 17:35 - is that possible if you leave at 11:00 or is that the worst time to be leaving?

22 hours ago, MrsSee said:

Exiting site with Camper van

can anyone advise how long it takes to get off site either on last night or following morning. We have over 5 hours to drive to Holyhead for ferry and trying to estimate what time I should book for, thanks

@MrsSee

ive had 10 years in CV East.

1 year we left on Sunday evening after the headliners.. probably about an hour to get onto the road and a horrendous drive home... just so tired. Never again.

8 years spent aiming to drive off the pitch by 7am... Means having a dry sunday (but given we have been on it since tuesday, not such a problem for an old bloke..)... never more than 30 minutes to get on the A37.

This year was enjoying it so much that decided to keep on the cider all sunday (Janelle Monae party at the end of the night.!) and have a lie in on Monday morning... Probably fired up the engine by 09:30 and took over 2 hours to get off site...

My advice... enjoy Sunday (but not too much)... get off site as eary as you can on Monday. Stop for breakfast and maybe 40 winks... take your time and drive carefully..

Have the best of festivals.! Do everything you can to get there on Tuesday, it is SO SO worth it.. Sit up on the Hill of Death with the masses on Tuesday night taking in the spectacle below...(still gives me shivers of anticipation..)

If the resale gods smile nicely on me, i may be the bloke standing next to you...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Have the best of festivals.! Do everything you can to get there on Tuesday, it is SO SO worth it.. Sit up on the Hill of Death with the masses on Tuesday night taking in the spectacle below...(still gives me shivers of anticipation..)

If the resale gods smile nicely on me, i may be the bloke standing next to you...

Cheers - really helpful advice ?

Can you elaborate on the bit above?  I have been trying to figure my timings for ferry home, but haven't given much thought to arrival yet - you have now got me wondering if Wed / Thurs  arrival is too late.  I didn't think gates opened until Wed am?

1 hour ago, circus92 said:

Can you elaborate on the bit above?  I have been trying to figure my timings for ferry home, but haven't given much thought to arrival yet - you have now got me wondering if Wed / Thurs  arrival is too late.  I didn't think gates opened until Wed am?

Campervan fields open Tuesday 12 noon ( although people do arrive earlier  and get in). Worth getting there early definitely on Tuesday pm or Weds morning. Thursday much too late!! 

Google maps gives the fastest route to Holyhead Port from the fest as 5hr 26mins. Add to this a check-in time allowance, potential delays, stops on-route, a campervan travelling potentially at a lower speed etc .....and you're looking at a goodly travel time allowance.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:11 PM, circus92 said:

hey @circus92

per @sedra the CV fields open on Tuesday lunchtime.. They then go about filling the fields in order of arrival (logical right..) and there will be a lot of campers and caravans set up by Tuesday night.. advantages :

- miss a deal of the regular camping traffic (hence why the festival promote it) which doesnt start arriving until Tuesday night/wednesday day

- Get settled in. Say hello to the neighbors. Have a couple of days of a camping holiday (drink, eat and be merry)

- If you were really keen to get into festival site on Wednesday, you could always queue at the gate entrance (Hill of Death) BEFORE the regular camping punters are let through from the car parks...  alternately, enter the festival at your leisure when the queue has died down.. get your wristbands done and have a mooch and a drink

We have in previous years had a small camp of 3 camervans/caravans and some tents (18 of us), seating and tables set-up and the BBQ(s) on the go for Tuesday evening.. Sadly, no tickets at all for 2020 ☹️

There is a tremendous sense of anticipation on Tuesday evening in the CV fields.. and standing on the hill overlooking the site and seeing the vastness of it is a bit spine tingling...

Do it.! and enjoy it.!

9 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

hey @circus92

per @sedra the CV fields open on Tuesday lunchtime.. They then go about filling the fields in order of arrival (logical right..) and there will be a lot of campers and caravans set up by Tuesday night.. advantages :

- miss a deal of the regular camping traffic (hence why the festival promote it) which doesnt start arriving until Tuesday night/wednesday day

- Get settled in. Say hello to the neighbors. Have a couple of days of a camping holiday (drink, eat and be merry)

- If you were really keen to get into festival site on Wednesday, you could always queue at the gate entrance (Hill of Death) BEFORE the regular camping punters are let through from the car parks...  alternately, enter the festival at your leisure when the queue has died down.. get your wristbands done and have a mooch and a drink

We have in previous years had a small camp of 3 camervans/caravans and some tents (18 of us), seating and tables set-up and the BBQ(s) on the go for Tuesday evening.. Sadly, no tickets at all for 2020 ☹️

There is a tremendous sense of anticipation on Tuesday evening in the CV fields.. and standing on the hill overlooking the site and seeing the vastness of it is a bit spine tingling...

Do it.! and enjoy it.!

Thanks so much for the fantastic pearls of wisdom ?  It really is very helpful hearing stuff like this - you have pretty much made me determined to get there on Tuesday.  I have just added a day to the front of our campervan booking and am going to leave Belfast on Monday to ensure we arrive on Tuesday based on your advice ?

The way you describe it has already got me excited ?

On 11/26/2019 at 11:04 PM, BlueDaze said:

Here's hoping - good luck ???

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Thanks so much for the fantastic pearls of wisdom ?  It really is very helpful hearing stuff like this - you have pretty much made me determined to get there on Tuesday.  I have just added a day to the front of our campervan booking and am going to leave Belfast on Monday to ensure we arrive on Tuesday based on your advice ?

The way you describe it has already got me excited ?

Here's hoping - good luck ???

dont listen to my pearls of wisdom... create your own.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, circus92 said:

You have read my mind - just about to ask the same question.

Got my Glasto tickets, got my CV east Quiet ticket, just booked campervan today, and next job is to work out the logistics of getting to and from Belfast.

Belfast-Dublin-Holyhead-Glasto looking best at the moment.

How long is the drive - can you do it in 4 -5 hrs?  Ferry at Holyhead is 17:35 - is that possible if you leave at 11:00 or is that the worst time to be leaving?

Pushing it I’m afraid , can take some time to ge out of cv fields at that time, best before 8am / after 2pm from memory 

On 11/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, MrsSee said:

Many thanks for advice especially as I didn’t even get the question in the title ? newbies! Going to try and make the last ferry back to Dublin at 20.15 on Monday evening.

I think you're pushing it going for that time. When I used to fly over I'd even get the flight home from Bristol on the Tuesday. Couldn't be dealing with the stress of trying to make the check in time. 

Get off site and mooch up to Anglesey and do a stop on the way. Have a shower, some good food and some rest. Remember it's not just the drive to the ferry but the hours crossing and drive on the other side after 5 days on the lash.