South East Asia

Bisque

Did 11 months in SE Asia last year, loved it. Done India briefly, Nepal, Myanmar, S Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and N Thailand. HERE is the route we took

Thailand was my least fav, Myanmar my fav.

Did a blog of all of it, HERE is a link to the Myanmar pages. I'd recommend Inle Lake and Bagan.

Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are cheap, if you do Laos then go to Don Det if you go south, its cool.

N Thailand is better than the south, Pai is lovely as is Chiang Mai. 

Vietnam is awesome. Head to the south if you want some decent beach weather at this time of year. Phu Quoc (island) is v nice. Most people work their from south to north or vice versa. You could head from PQ to Ho Chi Minh City through the Mekong Delta. In the north, Hanoi is worth a couple of days, plus you can get tours from there to Sappa to go trekking and get a cruise or go partying in Ha Long Bay.

I'm afraid I missed the middle bit as there was a monsoon at the time!

As you are only going for a few weeks, pick one country and do as much there as you can, I wouldn't rush it.

We missed Philippines last year as it was typhoon season, so going back next month for 5 weeks to do a chunk of that 

On 11/25/2019 at 7:58 PM, Bisque said:

Just on my way to LHR. Booked a cheap flight to Bangkok. Would anyone recommend easy places to visit that aren’t in Thailand?

I have a return flight from Vientiane in Laos in a few weeks.

Myanmar/Burma is apparently nice.

Halong Bay in Vietnam is cosmic. Truly cosmic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, Paul ™ said:

Thanks Paul, really appreciate your help, I read your info on the buses.

Lot’s of people I met said Pai is amazing but it hasn’t been on my radar at all! Maybe in the future.

I was invited to met a friend in Pattaya but decided to give that a swerve.

I have also been very fortunate to receive a lovely email from Thai Airways thanking me for my customer comments on my two flights.

My A380 flight (luckily I managed to sit upstairs!) was superb! Incredible crew looking after our small cabin, 3 inflight meals & no quibbles about alcohol consumption.

My return 777 flight was not so good, I was lucky enough to be provided 2 lunch meals but my requested evening meal had run out, despite being sat by the galley. My 2nd option was inedible, it was rank. The crew were a bit rude too, especially senior crew so left a letter of complaint.

Update: £400 Thai Airways voucher to be used within 6 months!

C4E7DBC7-6B00-4523-B2A7-48F30EFB5714.jpeg

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Will you be able to go back within 6 months? Bit of a result if you are.

Depends if my girlfriend lets me

edit: maybe I could just go for a week. Lot’s of people say Pai is awesome.

Edited by Bisque