Tourist - Everyday

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow 

LDR - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Little Simz - Grey Area

Friendly Fires - Inflorescent 

Bon Iver - i,i

Dave - Pyschodrama

Elbow - Giants of All Sizes

I’m as surprised as anybody to have Elbow in my top 10 list in 2019, but there you go. 

All in all a solid year.

Here’s my singles if anybody wants a new playlist....

Edited by nikkic

2 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

12 things I liked, off the top of my head:

SVBKVLT - Cache 01

Angel Bat Dawid - The Oracle

Yugen Blakrok - Anima Mysterium

Lingua Ignota - Caligula

Meiti - Komachi 

Brighde Chaimbeul - The Reeling

Omar Souleyman - Shlon

FKA Twigs - Magdalene

Caroline Polachek - Pang

Damon Locks & the Black Monument Ensemble - Where Future Unfolds 

Just realised that's 10, not 12...

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

She has some UK shows already plotted for next year. I like her on record but I can never get into that sort of thing live.

What’s your top-left album, by the way? I don’t recognise it.

Sorry for jumping in but it’s the Boy Harsher record. It’s great - if you’re into quite dark synthpop that is. Album artwork has pretty high meme potential as well. 

• Upvote 1

Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 1
Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 2
Yonaka - Don't Wait 'Til Tomorrow
Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes - End of Suffering
Blaenavon - Everything That Makes You Happy
Liam Gallagher - Why Me? Why Not.
Bring Me The Horizon - amo
Drenge - Strange Creatures
Fontaines DC - Dogrel

Honourable mentions to The S.L.P, Billie Eilish, Harry Styles, Ten Tonnes and whenyoung who all released great albums too.

Great year for albums

Anyone who says that 2019 wasn’t a good year for albums hasn’t been looking hard enough.

1 - Tool

2- Opeth

3 - Fever 333

4- la dispute 

5- Refused 

Honourable mentions to Black Midi, Black Futures, Wildhearts, Fontaine’s, Frank Carter, Korn, etc etc etc

Edited by rivalschools.price

My favourite would be the Chemical Brothers but after that they are in no particular order.

1 - The Chemical Brothers - No Geography

2 - Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles

3 - The National - I Am Easy To Find

4 - Bilie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go

5 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen

6 - Bring Me The Horizon - AMO

7 - The Twilight Sad - It Wont Be Like This All The Time

8 - Liam Gallagher - Why Me? Why Not

On 11/25/2019 at 6:42 PM, Gnomicide said:
  1. Red Rum Club - Matador
  2. Craig Finn - I Need A New War
  3. Elbow - Giants of All Sizes
  4. The Hold Steady - Thrashing Through The Passion
  5. Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars 
  6. Wilco - Ode To Joy
  7. Jesse Malin - Sunset Kids
  8. Little Steven & The Diciples of Soul - Summer of Sorcery 
  9. Frank Turner - No Man's Land
  10. Jeff Tweedy - Warmer

Too early for Leonard Cohen and Jeff Goldblum. 

I used to be a big Frank Turner fan, but only gave No Man's Land a couple of listens as I found it a bit twee. That was despite listening to all the podcasts he made about the people that inspired the songs. Is it worth giving another shot?

If nothing else I'm glad the album at least made me aware of Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

The only album I've absolutely loved this year is Lizzo - Cuz I love you. And generally I can't be bothered with pop music so that's pretty left field for me.

Quite liked Mattiel, Deerhunter and Brittany Howard's albums.

Enjoyed the singles from the Specials, Comet is Coming, Sharon Van Etten, Fontaines DC, Kishi Bashi, Anna Meredith and the Who's new albums, but never really got into the albums as a whole.

Enjoying Michael Kiwanuka's album, but it still feels a bit to fresh for me to be able to evaluate it properly. And still not sure what to make of the Vampire Weekend album, at the very least would have to say it's interesting.

As a fan of Frank Turner and Weezer I was pretty underwhelmed by both their albums.

Also fail to understand why Charli XCX and Lana del Rey are so critically acclaimed. Listened to them after seeing them in lots of album of the year lists and for me they seem very bland.

Edited by found home in 2009

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

I used to be a big Frank Turner fan, but only gave No Man's Land a couple of listens as I found it a bit twee. That was despite listening to all the podcasts he made about the people that inspired the songs. Is it worth giving another shot?

If nothing else I'm glad the album at least made me aware of Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

I always enjoy it when I put it on but best just thought of as what it is really, a side project. Far from his best work, I wasn't much of a fan of his last one either so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

34 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I always enjoy it when I put it on but best just thought of as what it is really, a side project. Far from his best work, I wasn't much of a fan of his last one either so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

I loved a lot of the lyrics in Be More Kind album. Felt like he summed up how I felt about what was going on in politics at the moment. Particularly loved the line "Don't go mistaking your house burning down for the dawn"

But yeah definitely think his earlier albums are his best work.

1 Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell
2 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Ghosteen
3 Michael Kiwanuka – Kiwanuka
4 Tyler, The Creator – IGOR
5 Thom Yorke – ANIMA
6 Purple Mountains – Purple Mountains
7 Big Thief – U.F.O.F.
8 FKA Twigs – Magdalene
9 Steve Lacy – Apollo XXI
10 Aldous Harding – Designer
11 Daniel Norgren – Woo Dang
12 Bon Iver – i,i
13 Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals – Ventura
14 The National – I Am Easy To Find
15 Brittany Howard – Jaime
16 Elbow – Giants Of All Sizes
17 Tim Hecker – Anoyo
18 Angel Olsen – All Mirrors
19 Solange – When I Get Home
20 Zwangere Guy – Wie Is Guy?
21 Bill Calahan – Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest
22 Dead Man Ray – Over
23 Freddie Gibs & Madlib – Bandana
24 Vampire Weekend – Father Of The Bride
25 Injury Reserve – Injury Reserve
26 Sharon Van Etten – Remind Me Tomorrow
27 Flying Lotus – Flamagra
28 Big Thief – Two Hands
29 Better Oblivion Community Center – Better Oblivion Community Center
30 Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go
31 Fontaines DC – Dogrel
32 Leonard Cohen – Thanks For The Dance
33 Sleater-Kinney – The Center Won’t Hold
34 Lizzo – Cuz I Love You
35 The Comet Is Coming – Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

Top 10:

1. Bon Iver – i,i

2. Big Thief – Two Hands

3. Richard Dawson – 2020

4. Aldous Harding –Designer

5. Sunn O))) – Life Metal

6. Weyes Blood – Titanic Rising

7. FKA Twigs - Magdalene

8. Slowthai – Nothing Great About Britain

9. Neil Young and Crazy Horse – Colorado

10. Floating Points – Crush

Honourable mentions: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Ghosteen; Clairo – Immunity; The Mountain Goats – In League with Dragons; Thom Yorke - Anima

Edited by fantomas

Still got a fair few that I want to get around to listening to after the next couple weeks, we'll see if we get around to them (Weyes Blood, Julia Jacklin, Doja Cat, Otoboke Beaver, Angel Olsen, Tourist and JPEGAMFIA in particular based on other AOTY lists I've seen).

However, for now this is my top 20 list (in order, tho IGOR/NFR! change positions regularly):

851439242_topsters2(3).thumb.png.7c387d6e1a39fdb7eb5adb84214fe8dc.png

1. Taylor Swift - Lover
2. Caroline Polachek - Pang
3. Charli XCX - Charli
4. Self Esteem - Compliments Please
5. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
6. Kim Petras - Clarity
7. Leonard Cohen - Thanks For The Dance
8. Julia Jacklin - Crushing
9. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
10. FKA Twigs - Magdalene

On 12/24/2019 at 9:36 PM, dentalplan said:

She has some UK shows already plotted for next year. I like her on record but I can never get into that sort of thing live.

What’s your top-left album, by the way? I don’t recognise it.

Oh fantastic, I'll take a look! I know what you mean about that stuff live. I can have a really good time, but it's not the same as a gig of course. Sadly, it's much more enjoyable for me when I'll a little pissed at 3am in the morning.

Top left is Boy Harsher. Really worth checking out if you get a chance!

(Apologies for the late reply, Christmas/relocating to Bangkok temporarily has kept me offline for a bit).

Edited by fat_man_joe
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Superunknown said:

The more I listen to it, the more I feel that Norman Fucking Rockwell is not only one of the albums of the year but of the decade, absolute masterpiece from Lana. 

I have to agree - it has been the biggest surprise of the year for me. LDR would not usually be my area at all - I bought it after hearing Venice Bitch on the radio and it just grows and grows. The recording quality is epic and there isn't a duff track on the album IMO. It's her masterpiece - sad, nostalgic Americana with a hint of knowing sarcasm. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Superunknown said:

The more I listen to it, the more I feel that Norman Fucking Rockwell is not only one of the albums of the year but of the decade, absolute masterpiece from Lana. 

22 minutes ago, scrippit said:

I have to agree - it has been the biggest surprise of the year for me. LDR would not usually be my area at all - I bought it after hearing Venice Bitch on the radio and it just grows and grows. The recording quality is epic and there isn't a duff track on the album IMO. It's her masterpiece - sad, nostalgic Americana with a hint of knowing sarcasm. 

Guessing it's worth persisting with? I've listened to it twice through and whilst I've enjoyed it I'm not quite getting it as potential AOTY material.

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Guessing it's worth persisting with? I've listened to it twice through and whilst I've enjoyed it I'm not quite getting it as potential AOTY material.

I would. Think it was about the fourth listen for me it really clicked. Really enjoyed the opening 3-4 songs initially but thought the rest was ok. A few more listens and the hour or so run time absolutely flies by with banger after banger. 

But it may just not be for you but I'd give it another listen or two.

7 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Yes - it needs a good 4 or 5 listens and, like @Superunknown, the later tracks turn out to be gems. So many layers. 

I have recommended it too so many who would normally bat it away with suggestions of pop kitsch... they all love it now.

The other two in my top three were The Murder Capital and Richard Dawson, closer to my usual musical tastes - NFR is way out of my normal listening!