Jump to content

Kendrick Lamar


JoeyT
 Share

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

620 members have voted

  1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

    • Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
      151
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
      140
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
      117
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere
      212


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Was it? Dang, never got to that. My daughter selfishly decided to be born over the weekend he was playing the O2.

One of the greatest gigs I've ever been to and I was stood in the seat in the heavens at the back. Anyone who's doubting this man's ability to put on the greatest rap headline slot Glastonbury has ever seen needs to seriously consider themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, leath02 said:

One of the greatest gigs I've ever been to and I was stood in the seat in the heavens at the back. Anyone who's doubting this man's ability to put on the greatest rap headline slot Glastonbury has ever seen needs to seriously consider themselves. 

Dunno I’m a huge fan and seen him twice, but the R+L dead set plus various bad US sets over the years does worry me.

Hip-Hop live generally is the most bit and miss genre I think, just based on the practicalities of it largely being one person rapping (see Little Simz and earlier Kanye for how it can and should be done). 
 

I hope it’ll be sick, I’ll be there and I like @Matt42’s logic that he won’t be burnt out due to lack of touring, but inversely I do worry he wont bring much production because he isnt touring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always feel strange hearing people talk about the Reading set as if it was something tragic. I went there barely knowing any songs and came out completely sold on him as an act with him going on to become one of my favourite artists! 

Admittedly, the replay online makes it seem tame but there at the front, with a great view of the backing band it really felt like a moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Haan said:

biggie only has one.

That’s often said, but Life After Death is a classic to my ears. Almost every track is brilliant, and Big’s best story telling is on that album. He could have released each half separately and he’s have had three classics. 

I know it’s subjective but I’d add Jay’s The Black Album (and possibly even 4:44) and Warren G’s G Funk Era to the list of all time great hip hop albums. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s absolutely no way he’s going to come in with a sub-par set (no live band, no production, backing tape etc.)

This is one of only a very small handful of sets he’s doing on the back of his first album for five years. It’s an amazingly rare thing to have such a celebrated artist drop a major album and then turn up at a festival. We’re incredibly lucky. 

Imagine wanting to go and see the Pet Shop Boys over this.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm amazed how little we know about what he's dropping considering it's around 12 hours until it releases worldwide; such a successful rollout, the hype's through the roof. To echo what everyone's saying above, the cover really does look like that of an instant classic - can't fucking wait to hear it, and I'm struggling to comprehend how lucky we are to be able to see it live so soon after release, on the world's greatest stage... he's gonna send it to the stratosphere.

Closing with 'Sing About Me' would be transcendent, we can only hope so hard 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, copperbottom said:

I'm amazed how little we know about what he's dropping considering it's around 12 hours until it releases worldwide; such a successful rollout, the hype's through the roof.

Completely agree, so so happy there have been no leaks or really any sort of information at all, definitely builds the hype even more than it already was, cannot wait to hear it, and potentially see if there are any hidden features etc, a very successful rollout indeed, the way Kendrick intended it to be - I don't doubt at all that this will be another classic in his discography

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

That’s often said, but Life After Death is a classic to my ears. Almost every track is brilliant, and Big’s best story telling is on that album. He could have released each half separately and he’s have had three classics. 

I know it’s subjective but I’d add Jay’s The Black Album (and possibly even 4:44) and Warren G’s G Funk Era to the list of all time great hip hop albums. 

I think Biggie is an incredible storyteller, and "I got a story to tell" and "notorious thugs" are perfect songs, but there is a bit of fluff. Diddy whispering all over it is so annoying.

Completely agree with the Jay Z picks, I'd put Reasonable Doubt there too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Seemss gonna have to wait ti like everyones gonna have to wait 5am BST. Since it didnt pop up in NZ a couple hours ago and  thats usually the norm.

Yeah had a feeling that would be the case - no way was it gonna come out early somewhere and leak all over the net. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Seemss gonna have to wait ti like everyones gonna have to wait 5am BST. Since it didnt pop up in NZ a couple hours ago and  thats usually the norm.

Moments I’m glad to live in Australia. That’s my Friday afternoon sorted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah had a feeling that would be the case - no way was it gonna come out early somewhere and leak all over the net. 

Like it wouldve mattered. Thats gonna happen regardless. You could build up hype for all the casuals with some people listening to it beforehand. and how many people even try to download stuff anyway. 99% of people are mobile based now so unless yuo had an android phone, downloading to your apple device is not really happening. At least the Florence album is out in the meantime. Also the NFL schedule is out this afternoon, hehe.

Edited by Suprefan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

5am? as in 5am friday morning right ? so it will be up and ready to listen to first thing in the morning tommorow in the uk?

yeah, it's a global release, so it'll release everywhere at once, when it's midnight in NYC, and 5am in the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm proper hyped to see him again;

Bit of a weird one, and I certainly don't want to derail the set on the topic, but do we think the Glastonbury crowd is classy/ grown up enough to not sing along with the N-word for m.A.A.d city? When i've been at previous shows of his and i've always been proper shocked by the amount of white people openly singing the word - it even once let to a small confrontation between a lady of colour who (quite rightly imo) took offense to a group all using the word.

On the other hand, I was quite impressed recently when I was at another gig recently and while we were all waiting they were playing a song with the N word in the chorus and the audience was proper belting it out but they (largely Gen Z it must be said) noticeably stopped singing for that word and it went proper silent.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I'm proper hyped to see him again;

Bit of a weird one, and I certainly don't want to derail the set on the topic, but do we think the Glastonbury crowd is classy/ grown up enough to not sing along with the N-word for m.A.A.d city? When i've been at previous shows of his and i've always been proper shocked by the amount of white people openly singing the word - it even once let to a small confrontation between a lady of colour who (quite rightly imo) took offense to a group all using the word.

On the other hand, I was quite impressed recently when I was at another gig recently and while we were all waiting they were playing a song with the N word in the chorus and the audience was proper belting it out but they (largely Gen Z it must be said) noticeably stopped singing for that word and it went proper silent.    

I was too off my head to remember, but wonder if anybody can recall what the vibe re: this was for when Kanye did Gold Digger?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I'm proper hyped to see him again;

Bit of a weird one, and I certainly don't want to derail the set on the topic, but do we think the Glastonbury crowd is classy/ grown up enough to not sing along with the N-word for m.A.A.d city? When i've been at previous shows of his and i've always been proper shocked by the amount of white people openly singing the word - it even once let to a small confrontation between a lady of colour who (quite rightly imo) took offense to a group all using the word.

On the other hand, I was quite impressed recently when I was at another gig recently and while we were all waiting they were playing a song with the N word in the chorus and the audience was proper belting it out but they (largely Gen Z it must be said) noticeably stopped singing for that word and it went proper silent.    

People will sing it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...