Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

On 6/27/2022 at 7:47 AM, Johndenis said:

I thought some of them sounded like they had - less drums? I didn't know if that was to help make him easier to hear. Don't know. 

I think the band were just off stage, a group of 4/5 blokes came on to the stage after his sit and had a photo hugging together, think that was them.

greatness. just insanely good beginning to end.

the ending when in the crowd felt a bit like, is it over? is he coming back? but looking back the ending was perfect. delighted he went for this type of performence, artistic and iconic. sensational stuff. 10/10

just watching back on iplayer... what a set. theres things on the tv that you miss sometimes when you are jumping around like a maniac with your friends! Also the crowd was so loud in the front but sounds like on tv everyone was involved. brilliant.

I’m so upset to say that I didn’t enjoy Kendrick’s set. Not because of the set itself - from what I saw of it, it looked masterful - but because the exit strategy from the festival that I agreed with the only companion I’ve ever taken, destroyed my enjoyment of it. I had to leave half way through and couldn’t get into the crowd or it would be a nightmare leaving so I was kind of at the side towards the back. Still a decent reaction but not the experience I wanted. I can’t wait to have complete control over my own festival experience again. 

As much as I enjoyed it and think he chose pretty much the perfect set list, there was just something about the set that didn’t connect with me. Maybe it was the crowd, maybe it was because it was Sunday and I was running out of energy, but I just felt a little disconnected with the performance. The night before at McCartney was one of, if not, the best headline set I’ve seen at Glastonbury as it felt personal, but the Kendrick set to me just felt like any other show of his that I’ve seen before. I appreciate the artistic show he puts on, and it is incredible and a level above his contemporaries in terms of what he’s providing the audience, but I was just waiting for the added something in terms of what I was seeing that I didn’t seem to get. Everyone in this forum seems to think different so maybe it just wasn’t other factors getting in the way on Sunday, but regardless I thoroughly enjoyed the set. Maad city was unbelievable, and I really liked the ending of LOVE into Saviour as they’re two of my favourite songs of his.

I do think that encourages future rap and hip hop artists closer to that spot as the reaction to Kendrick compared to Kanye is so much more positive in the aftermath of all of this. I can see Drake now wanting to enter the frame, purely because he now knows Jay Z, Kanye and Kendrick have taken that spot, and I believe he will want it now too. I think if he does want it then he needs to put on a greatest hits set list as opposed to the newer material he choose to tour at that time for his newest album cycle, otherwise it was fall flat. Outside of Drake, I’d say Dave is probably the next most worthy choice for a Friday night headline slot to start the festival, but think he needs another solid album with 1/2 radio friendly songs before he does so.

11 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

There was definitely a band. Loads of additional drum fills and bass/guitar parts over the beats. Putting the band out there would have taken away from the show. Feel like if you need to physically see a band to realise there is one you’re a dope.

Some amended performances to accompany the show doesn't prove there was a live band. There were Kendrick backing vocals, but you'd be a dope to assume there was a second Kendrick behind the screen.

9 hours ago, TiZuff said:

greatness. just insanely good beginning to end.

the ending when in the crowd felt a bit like, is it over? is he coming back? but looking back the ending was perfect. delighted he went for this type of performence, artistic and iconic. sensational stuff. 10/10

I didn't realise it had ended! He played a song, then a woman in the crowd had a bit of an emotional moment with me, saying how proud she was that Kendrick was standing up for women's right, etc, and suddenly the next thing I noticed, the lights were on and the show was over! I couldn't believe it! I'm gonna have to watch it on tv to see what I missed, but it must have been quick! 😅

Cracking show though.

On 6/27/2022 at 3:03 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

By all accounts AJ Tracey delivered, though yet to catch up on his set - we've got the ol' Covid-19 in the NorthernSoul52 chateau this weekend...

If his trajectory continues, could he be big enough? Aitch, meanwhile, would be a pass from me, but the world works in mysterious, and often dispiriting ways... 

Couple more albums and id say Little Simz would be in the running as well 

12 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m so upset to say that I didn’t enjoy Kendrick’s set. Not because of the set itself - from what I saw of it, it looked masterful - but because the exit strategy from the festival that I agreed with the only companion I’ve ever taken, destroyed my enjoyment of it. I had to leave half way through and couldn’t get into the crowd or it would be a nightmare leaving so I was kind of at the side towards the back. Still a decent reaction but not the experience I wanted. I can’t wait to have complete control over my own festival experience again. 

Same really. We were at the back by the toilet and sounded like the crowd weren’t into it at all. Strange how different it can be from a different area. Enjoyed what I saw though

8 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Some amended performances to accompany the show doesn't prove there was a live band. There were Kendrick backing vocals, but you'd be a dope to assume there was a second Kendrick behind the screen.

There was a band. I saw  them move a drum kit from one side of the stage and take it back behind the screens well after Lorde's stage was cleared off. And you could hear them soundchecking instruments. The benefits of practically being on the barrier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Same really. We were at the back by the toilet and sounded like the crowd weren’t into it at all. Strange how different it can be from a different area. Enjoyed what I saw though

If you watch it back on iPlayer you can hear the crowd are louder than Kendrick at some points - in the verses too, not just the choruses.

The crowd were so into it. I was surprised how loud they were!

13 hours ago, Beet said:

I had a really great view of Kendrick, until this really tall guy stood in my way.   He was neither sitting down, nor being humble.   

Meanwhile I was stood in front of Verity from Made in Chelsea who was unapologetically and loudly rapping the n word in every single song.

Took all my self control to not record it as it was fucking disgusting.

2 hours ago, swede said:

Couple more albums and id say Little Simz would be in the running as well 

How actually big is Little Simz? Not that you can always call trajectory, but not sure how much more room she necessarily has before a theoretical ceiling, but I will admit I'm not as familiar with her material too.

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

How actually big is Little Simz? Not that you can always call trajectory, but not sure how much more room she necessarily has before a theoretical ceiling, but I will admit I'm not as familiar with her material too.

Top Boy on Netflix raised her profile a ton but I think she needs some more party / danceable tunes to really break through the big time.

More stuff like Point and Kill on her latest album, for example.