Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

I’ve never been in a crowd like that so far back. Was sort of on the right side of the field back from the tree. ( my pit bravado fell away quickly) 

Everyone entranced  in the performance and bouncing. Maybe not quite diehards who knew every word but they were there to see the King. No chatting, just full engagement with what was happening. 

Im close to making the call that it was my favorite ever set. 

18 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Wasn't half-bad that, was it? 

Always been more ambivalent about Kendrick than perhaps his reputation deserves - an emotion that stems from a disappointing Leeds Festival 2015 set where the energy really didn't translate and the sound felt particularly reedy. 

That was an excellent spot of theatre though, positively electric in parts. Interesting that the two most thrilling Pyramid headliners of the past dozen or so have been him and Stormzy. Rap and its associated genres might be fixed for a headliner per year now, if they keep finding jackpot performers like them. 

They’ve ticked off all the obvious ones who aren’t money-grabbing bellends now though. Next in line is probably Aitch (🤢), Dave or AJ Tracey, but all three of those are at least one album off it at present. Unless of course we get a repeat of Jay-Z, which would be cracking. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They’ve ticked off all the obvious ones who aren’t money-grabbing bellends now though. Next in line is probably Aitch (🤢), Dave or AJ Tracey, but all three of those are at least one album off it at present. Unless of course we get a repeat of Jay-Z, which would be cracking. 

No chance for Aitch in my opinion.  He could draw a decent crowd at the pyramid or high up on the other but I can't see that he will ever headline. AJ Tracey's rise is a bit baffling to me, always seemed weaker than his contemporaries but I guess he's an easy sell to the "I don't even like hip hop, but..." crowd. 

The big question is, will this performance finally put to bed the constant annual complaining that a hip hop / grime / associated genres act can't draw a big crowd / shouldn't be headlining nonsense that, quite obviously, has troubling undertones which shouldn't be associated with the so called enlightened inclusive glastonbury crowd? Some comments earlier in this thread look utterly stupid and ignorant after that Kendrick show. The GOAT for my money.

Edited by Nobby's Old Boots
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

By all accounts AJ Tracey delivered, though yet to catch up on his set - we've got the ol' Covid-19 in the NorthernSoul52 chateau this weekend...

If his trajectory continues, could he be big enough? Aitch, meanwhile, would be a pass from me, but the world works in mysterious, and often dispiriting ways... 

I need a little time to process the weekend properly, but that might just be the best set I’ve ever seen at Glasto. 

Phenomenal stuff.

Perfect set list, beautiful stage craft with every word delivered with relentless energy. 

Feels like we got to see a legend at the peak of his powers. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

By all accounts AJ Tracey delivered, though yet to catch up on his set - we've got the ol' Covid-19 in the NorthernSoul52 chateau this weekend...

If his trajectory continues, could he be big enough? Aitch, meanwhile, would be a pass from me, but the world works in mysterious, and often dispiriting ways... 

I don't think so. I'm a fan, but lyrically compared to his peers like Dave he is a lot weaker. Don't think he will ever get there

4 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

I don't think so. I'm a fan, but lyrically compared to his peers like Dave he is a lot weaker. Don't think he will ever get there

Fair enough! I think I was caught a little bit by surprise when they announced Dave as a bill-topper at R+L this year - though less so given the dual main stage approach allows them to theoretically throw curveballs and beef up candidates to headline status.

But by all accounts, his arena tour was a knockout success and that does feel like the nominal bar, if these things need to be judged?

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Fair enough! I think I was caught a little bit by surprise when they announced Dave as a bill-topper at R+L this year - though less so given the dual main stage approach allows them to theoretically throw curveballs and beef up candidates to headline status.

But by all accounts, his arena tour was a knockout success and that does feel like the nominal bar, if these things need to be judged?

Dave is without a doubt the biggest rapper with teenagers rn (i'm 19), he's bigger in my age group than Stormzy who headlined last year. Yeah his arena tour sold out so quickly too - he will have the biggest crowd of the weekend maybe bar AM I think 

• Upvote 1

I mean I’m 99% sure there was a live band (surely no backing track can sound that alive) but I’d be a little pissed playing in that band and not seeing the crowd reaction 😂

There was a slightly weird moment where some people came on stage after he finished for a selfie. Maybe the band getting a moment?

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agree Dave will be next. I’m wondering when Glastonbury is going to push the Drake button.

He’s now the biggest rapper not to do it. Feels a bit like an Ed Sheeran booking, I have my thoughts about him but after seeing that pit for Kendrick, Drake would be a huge draw.

Edited by Matt42

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Agree Dave will be next. I’m wondering when Glastonbury is going to push the Drake button.

He’s now the biggest rapper not to do it. Feels a bit like an Ed Sheeran booking, I have my thoughts about him but after seeing that pit for Kendrick, Drake would be a huge draw.

Except Ed was a huge British success story who started out on the BBC Introducing stage etc. Drake has literally nothing going for him except being a huge name, and they haven’t started booking headliners like that (yet). Also, as I said yesterday, he hasn’t even headlined R&L or Coachella yet which he’d surely do first if festivals were of interest to him. 

19 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Except Ed was a huge British success story who started out on the BBC Introducing stage etc. Drake has literally nothing going for him except being a huge name, and they haven’t started booking headliners like that (yet). Also, as I said yesterday, he hasn’t even headlined R&L or Coachella yet which he’d surely do first if festivals were of interest to him. 

Drake has headlined Coachella. Reading would want him in a heartbeat but I have a feeling they’ve lost out due to his relationship with Wireless.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Drake has headlined Coachella. Reading would want him in a heartbeat but I have a feeling they’ve lost out due to his relationship with Wireless.

Oh my bad, it was so long ago I totally forgot. Rest of my post still stands though, I may well end up being wrong but even with the increase in Camilla Cabello/Dodgy Cat-type bookings I just can’t see Drake happening. 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Oh my bad, it was so long ago I totally forgot. Rest of my post still stands though, I may well end up being wrong but even with the increase in Camilla Cabello/Dodgy Cat-type bookings I just can’t see Drake happening. 

I don’t think it’s imminent but his management have to be in the same circles as some of the recent headliners. If he approached the festival asking to do it I can imagine it happening.

Drake is all about clout. A gig which gives him exactly that is exactly what he’d want.

Have to put my hands up on Kendrick and admit I was wrong. I like his records a lot, especially TPAB which is top tier stuff, but because I'm an old muso I listen to his albums and stroke my beard and admire them. I had him down as this highly regarded serious album artist without those big songs to keep casuals interested, and the crowd on the last night just wouldn't go with it. 

Couldn't have been more wrong. Turned out the kids around me in the crowd had been listening to him completely differently. Admittedly some of the Mr Morale stuff didn't quite go over, but that was bound to happen, that's not exactly a banger-a-minute record.

Obviously that's going to be the production he's touring everywhere this year, it's not a Glastonbury specific thing, but sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief and pretend it's all a one off, don't you?

Was it ever in doubt? 

Lyrically & sonically note perfect, wonderfully choreographed, a powerful message throughout, a charged up, engaged crowd hanging on every word and all wrapped up inside that monster setlist.

As a long time fan this is said with all the bias in the world, but I genuinely felt like I was watching my generation's Bowie 00' headline show.

Had high expectations for what he was gonna do with that performance, but wow. The best live performance I've seen in my 400+ attended gigs.

The run of 7 Good Kid songs so early on had the crowd around me absolutely losing their shit, and the setlist overall was just brilliant. The complete opposite of the possibly phoned in performance that some were worrying about in the lead up. Looking forward to watching this one back as I feel like I must’ve missed so many details due to going ape and shouting along throughout. 

Anybody know if he did the same theatrical performance at his Milan show on Thursday?

Personally for me that was up their with one of the best festival sets I have ever seen and I’ve seen a fair few legendary acts, Springsteen, pearl jam, Fleetwood Mac, blur, arctic monkeys, cure etc. absolutely flawless performance, had the crowd at the palm of his hand. Just absolutely unreal. Not for everyone I know but that’s my personal opinion. Felt like I’ve watched a artist at the peak of their greatness 

• Upvote 1

Never heard anyone spit so clearly live. He didn’t miss a word and it was crystal clear. Outrageous levels of MCing. Best live Hip Hop show/performance I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen a lot. Such a powerful performance, I felt like I was witnessing something legendary. Miles ahead out on his own in the rap game. Nothing is coming close to him around today and not much before him either. Think he slides into my top5 dead or alive after the last record and that performance. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The run of 7 Good Kid songs so early on had the crowd around me absolutely losing their shit, and the setlist overall was just brilliant. The complete opposite of the possibly phoned in performance that some were worrying about in the lead up. Looking forward to watching this one back as I feel like I must’ve missed so many details due to going ape and shouting along throughout. 

Anybody know if he did the same theatrical performance at his Milan show on Thursday?

Looks like it