Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

On 5/27/2022 at 11:26 PM, Spindles said:

I'd slept on Kendrick thus far, knowing a few of the bigger tracks and guest spots with other artists I'm more familiar with but I listened to the new record tonight for the first time and fuck me, it's something special.  Will definitely be hitting his full catalogue heavily over the coming days.

I am so so so so excited for his set

On 5/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Starting to think that The Heart Pt  5 is better than anything on the album proper.

He’s added this on the US version of the album on Spotify, onto ‘Disc 3’. Not sure if this means there is a deluxe on its way with more music, or if his label are just trying to bump up the album streams. 

13 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

What Kendrick stuff should I listen to, to get familiar with his likely set? New album plus biggest hits?

Yeah probably your best bet. Obviously we’ve no idea what setlist he’s gonna do as he only has one show before Glastonbury and it’s when we’ll all be at the festival, but new album + DNA, Humble, Element, Loyalty, Love, King Kunta, Alright, Blacker the Berry, Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe, Backstreet Freestyle, mAAd City,  Swimming Pools will largely have you covered.

17 hours ago, Little Andy said:

What Kendrick stuff should I listen to, to get familiar with his likely set? New album plus biggest hits?

I’m not convinced this headline show at Glastonbury is going to be mega heavy on the new album myself. He’ll play some of it sure.

If ya wanna get into him listen to Good Kidd Madd City. That’s his best record.

The record before that Section 80 has some real high points on it but to me is a record of potential/promise of further to come. As much as I like it if you’re just starting to get into him I’d consider it an after thought. 

To Pimp a Butterfly I’d say is his most accessible if you aren’t necessarily a hip hop head. There’s a record of unused ideas/unfinished songs from this era with a similar sound called Untitled Unmasteted. If you find you connect with To Pimp a Butterfly more than Good Kidd I’d recommend that next. 

DAMN has the bangers but is of a certain style that maybe if modern hip hop isn’t your thing you won’t connect with as easily.

He’s had some big features on tunes over the years. Easiest way to shuffle though this is probably “This is Kendrick Lamar” on Spotify or whatever.

This man is an all timer for me so I wouldn’t do yourself the disservice of just listening to new record + hits. You’ll miss out on some incredible music if so.

@FloorFiller and @Tommy Dickfingers, thanks for your advice.

For context, in regards to what I wanna listen to, it's simply what Kendrick is likely to play.

In regards to what I've liked in the past in the genre, I've not heard a lot, but I do love XXXTentacion, and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy By Kanye West. I also somehow love the song Humble already, but in the past I've tried To Pimp A Butterfly and struggled to get into it. But I'll try some other Kendrick stuff now, seeing as I'm struggling for a headliner on Sunday (if only Jamie T had been Sunday, not clashing with McCartney on Saturday! 😆)

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:01 AM, MaxPower said:

Tiny fraction of people tweeting angrily about it, almost entirely gen Z people.

All of the queer people I have on socials who would pay attention to that kind of thing either emotionally love the song and what Kendrick is trying to do, or are making ironic jokes about it. 

Oh Gen Z we really are doomed.
Imagine when they have to grow up and the realise the difference between manufactured outrage & something genuinely enraging. 

You cannot sensor art, don’t like it look away, especially if it isn’t directed at you. 

The whole track addresses sex changing & sexuality. The whole point of the over use of F****t is to set up the “we didn’t know better” line. 

the very last line of the song totally give the context of the song. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, kalifire said:

Kenny slipped to page 13! Can’t be having that. 

Got a feeling the pit is going to be where it’s at for this set. There’ll be plenty of ‘on the fencers’ further back in the crowd but the Kendrick heads will be down the front. 

Yep I wouldn’t be anywhere else other than right up front - definitely where you want to be if you want the proper fan experience.

Had the new album on a fair bit the past couple of days after giving it a bit of a break since release and I’m really excited to hear some of this stuff live - it’s grown on me a fair bit after the initial ‘whoa best album ever… oh no wait it’s just okay’ first few days of it being out. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep I wouldn’t be anywhere else other than right up front - definitely where you want to be if you want the proper fan experience.

I wouldn’t say that for someone like Macca or an act with widespread excitement but I anticipate a lot of movement further back in the crowd for Kenny. I want to be surrounded by people loving it and committed to the set, not chin stroking arm folders. That’s only going to happen in the pit for this one. See you there! 🤩

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Kenny slipped to page 13! Can’t be having that. 

Got a feeling the pit is going to be where it’s at for this set. There’ll be plenty of ‘on the fencers’ further back in the crowd but the Kendrick heads will be down the front. 

Don’t worry - loads of people are excited for Kenny even if people on this forum aren’t. In my group he’s probably the headliner most of us will be at.

What I’m excited for is I’m going to be going into this set pretty blind, feels a bit like Kanye. No past set lists to go off.. quite mad.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Don’t worry - loads of people are excited for Kenny even if people on this forum aren’t. In my group he’s probably the headliner most of us will be at.

What I’m excited for is I’m going to be going into this set pretty blind, feels a bit like Kanye. No past set lists to go off.. quite mad.

He’ll be playing Milan a couple of days before Glastonbury so there’ll be a setlist. I’d like to think I’ll be strong enough to hold off on looking, especially with it being over Glastonbury… but I reckon I’ll end up having a peak. 

50 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Had the new album on a fair bit the past couple of days after giving it a bit of a break since release and I’m really excited to hear some of this stuff live - it’s grown on me a fair bit after the initial ‘whoa best album ever… oh no wait it’s just okay’ first few days of it being out. 

I love the new album, I cooled a bit after the first week and felt there was a bit of filler, but I'm back to loving it. Can't wait to hear n95 live.

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I'd love Baby Keem, Sampha and Beth Gibbons to show up.

Agree about being in the pit for this, he's the only act I'm bothered about actually getting right up the front for.

Should be easy. Everyones clearing out after Lorde. I also expect minimal flags so even if youre not in the pit itll be a fine viewing experience

Edited by Suprefan

Having barely known Kendrick until a week or 2 past, I've been bingeing on the latest album, Damn, To Pimp A Butterfly and M.A.A.D City. I gather this may be completely against common opinion, but it's the latest album I'm drawn to the most, and Pimp A Butterfly which I mostly struggle with.

I'm looking forward to him now though, after having no Sunday headliner a week or two back.