Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

4 hours ago, noam c said:

I thought I had my Sunday headliner sorted as PSB.  Then Mr. Morale came out.  I just can't stop listening to this album. How did this happen? I don't generally like mainstream rap, hip hop at all.

Please fill me in, is this gonna be a concert like Kanye's with basically him and some lights on stage?  What should I expect and which previous albums should I check out?

Thanks!

Youll have to listen to all the albums cause he should play songs from all of them. kendrick has a live band and I doubt that changes. Production wise its unknown what he will do. The show he had for the Damn tour was cool, it just wasnt brought to the uk when he did festivals so you just had screens and lights. But we'll see what he cools up for Glasto.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, jparx said:

I don’t know if Kendrick is particularly arsed about maxing out his publicity etc, but yeah if he wants to really smash the charts he’s not (yet) in the Kanye position of being able to drop something out the blue and it blow up. He needs more of a push behind it. Like I say, maybe he just doesn’t care about that though.

Florence has obviously come back to form big time here. Pulitzer Kenny is a bit of an outlier in terms of being a headliner without needing to smash album sales so I dunno if he’s the right comparison point, but it feels to me as though Florence is back front and centre of the headliner picture. 

Still hasn’t sold out that arena tour though 😞 

13 hours ago, noam c said:

I thought I had my Sunday headliner sorted as PSB.  Then Mr. Morale came out.  I just can't stop listening to this album. How did this happen? I don't generally like mainstream rap, hip hop at all.

Please fill me in, is this gonna be a concert like Kanye's with basically him and some lights on stage?  What should I expect and which previous albums should I check out?

Thanks!

Same here - I've barely listened to anything else since it was released!

Not sure what his stage production will be like, but I would guess it will be along the lines of what he had in Vegas in terms of dancers, choreography and big lights:

(there's no official footage of this so apologies for linking phone footage)

As there are tap dancers featured throughout the MM&TBS album, I can see there being some kind of tap dancing motif at some point as well - and maybe an intro video based on themes from the new album (think he did something like that on the DAMN tour).

In terms of previous albums, check out Good Kid Maad City, To Pimp A Butterfly and DAMN as he almost definitely will play songs from all of these albums, as well as a decent portion from the new album. Section 80 is also a very decent album of his worth checking out once you've listened to those three, but I'm doubtful any songs from it will make the cut for the Glasto set - although I hope I'm wrong on that.

As others have said, he usually plays with a live band so I'd say that's one thing we can expect from the set. The rest is guesswork!

• Like 1

Eagerly awaited MMATBS and have sat on the album since Friday before giving my thoughts. 

First listen through I really got TPAB vibes from the album, but after having routinely listened to it on the way to work/at home/in the car/in the gym my mind has changed. I love this a lot more than DAMN, which is my least favourite out of Kendrick's albums. Outside of the potential storyline between Kodak/Keem as Mr Morale/Big Stepper the themes on this album stand out a lot more than those on DAMN. It’s a very personal album, and something completely new from Kendrick which I was most glad about.

As with all albums there are songs that I most likely won’t go back to too often, but I can appreciate their message, just sonically it’s not something I’ll return back to. Biggest case here being Mother I Sober, which I think is the most moving song on the album, it’s just going to be very rare that I sit with it and listen to it through. Same goes for We Cry Together. Love the Florence sample at the start and really do enjoy the song, very Eminem - Kim vibes, but not one of the tracks I’m finding myself rushing back to, but story telling, theme and picture-painting is great. Die Hard and Purple Hearts seem the more radio friendly tunes which I think I’ll enjoy passively, but not two of my favourites. Can see one of these two falling into his live set list. 

What I think Kendrick has improved on is his ability to mesh his music with a catchy phrase/hook, which I think is done perfectly with the likes of N95 (you outta pocket), Rich Spirit (bitch I’m attractive), Savior (are you happy for me) and Rich Spirit (pushing em of me like huhhh). I think these songs will go down very well live and expect at least 2 of the 4 to be in his setlist on this tour. 

Although a lot of controversy around the song, I really do love Auntie Diaries. My perspective on the song is that it’s quite clear Kendrick shows his growth from the first verses to the latter, where he transitions from misgendering and using the F word to admitting he knew no better. I totally understand why people will feel the use of the word and the misgendering is distasteful (and it is), but ultimately the point of the track is this is how Kendrick saw things when he was younger, so he’s rapping what he’s lived, and as the verse progresses he corrects himself and admits he was wrong. The last bar at the end about when he brought a white fan on stage to rap his lyrics shows the hypocrisy of using the F word freely. Favourite lyric “to truly understand love switch positions.”

Father Time is a truly great Kendrick track, and I think Mirror will be a top contender for a closer for his live set. Mr Morale sounds very heavy Kanye influenced but I love it. I enjoy Keem on the Savior interlude, and I think United in Grief is a great album opener. I could live without Crown and Worldwide Steppers (and lose one of Purple Hearts or Die Hard), but overall a really enjoyable album. 

I think it’s a truly great album. My favourite is GKMC given the memories attached from being a teenager and listening to that album, and artistically I appreciate TPAB is his magnum opus, but I think as time goes by I’ll appreciate this in his top 3 on current standings.

Top 5:

Auntie Diaries, Count Me Out, N95, Savior and Father Time.

Apologies for the ramble! See you all at the Pyramid, 5 weeks on Sunday!! 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye - I got mine yesterday in the presale but the dynamically priced 'platinum tickets' are nearly twice the price.

what’s face value Cali? If there’s even such a thing anymore.

Theres tonnes of availability so it appears the good folk of the north have agreed and said ‘fuck that’

I've not paid too much attention to Kendrick before. To Pimp a Butterfly didn't do anything for me at all, I like DAMN but can sort of take-it-or-leave it, the new one I've listened to a couple of times so far and I've really enjoyed it. Might go and see him now based on this. Does he tend to play a lot of TPAB? 

I'd slept on Kendrick thus far, knowing a few of the bigger tracks and guest spots with other artists I'm more familiar with but I listened to the new record tonight for the first time and fuck me, it's something special.  Will definitely be hitting his full catalogue heavily over the coming days.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3