Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

N95 and family ties will defo be together surely? They are the same song basically.

I playlisted my attempt. Not sure what it is but I just find as an opener the Crown piano plodding along and the outro of "I can't please everyone" into Mr. Morale fucking irresistible.

Edited by Slugy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Stick stick stick stick. I love this.

I’d be surprised if he played I though. Has he played it often?

Also I think loyalty will be in there

It was another one I wasn't sure of, it was either that or Wesley's Theory. He's not played i much if at all since 2016. 

Loyalty is great, its just got a lot of down time, with other people singing. 

27 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Lol

Wow surprised by that - thought Kendrick had that in the bag for sure given the hype surrounding his album and Flo’s just kind of arriving with little fanfare, or maybe that’s just what this forum and the internet would have me believe.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'm actually not that surprised by that, given that Kendrick hasn't released any physicals.

Also having listened to Flo's new album today I'm doubling down on her headlining next year.

Ah yeah of course I forgot that his is streaming only at the moment.

Flo’s album is great. Think she needed a good album and some decent singles to seem like a decent contender to headline again and she’s delivered on both fronts with this one. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Wow surprised by that - thought Kendrick had that in the bag for sure given the hype surrounding his album and Flo’s just kind of arriving with little fanfare, or maybe that’s just what this forum and the internet would have me believe.

Flo has been all over the radio. Felt like a big push for that record. I think they’re both great records, but Flo’s comeback of sorts has felt like the bigger story to me personally I think.

Do we think he's going to have a full band visibly on stage with him so he can interact with the band members, like Reading/Leeds 2005, or in the shadows like the DAMN ! tour. 

I've seen both and the Leeds 2005 was much better having the band front and centre with him. 

I'm not even going to Glasto this year as my wife isnt well enough, but im so excited to see what he does !!

24 minutes ago, swede said:

Do we think he's going to have a full band visibly on stage with him so he can interact with the band members, like Reading/Leeds 2005, or in the shadows like the DAMN ! tour. 

I've seen both and the Leeds 2005 was much better having the band front and centre with him. 

I'm not even going to Glasto this year as my wife isnt well enough, but im so excited to see what he does !!

I reckon so. DAMN felt more stripped back, raw hip hop stuff. This new record is back to the Butterfly/GKMAC vibes so I think he’ll have a band for sure. 

Hope your wife is OK dude.

13 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Wat

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I mentioned it earlier but wasnt trying to foreshadow this at all, but physical album sales count more towards chart positions because theyre more valuable than streams. Kendrick only has streams to work with. Florence has CD, vinyl and cassettes she sold in pre order and whatever sales coming in shops this week. Probably only sold 30 - 50,000 of those but that is plenty to overcome any streaming shortcomings. 

Just now, Suprefan said:

I mentioned it earlier but wasnt trying to foreshadow this at all, but physical album sales count more towards chart positions because theyre more valuable than streams. Kendrick only has streams to work with. Florence has CD, vinyl and cassettes she sold in pre order and whatever sales coming in shops this week. Probably only sold 30 - 50,000 of those but that is plenty to overcome any streaming shortcomings. 

Fair points, but in general Florence’s record has made a much bigger splash in the mainstream here I think. I think Radio 1 played N95 once yesterday when I had it on and that’s pretty much all you’d know of a new Kendrick record. Florence was all over it.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Fair points, but in general Florence’s record has made a much bigger splash in the mainstream here I think. I think Radio 1 played N95 once yesterday when I had it on and that’s pretty much all you’d know of a new Kendrick record. Florence was all over it.

Right, thats also another part of the issue. Its not like Radio 1 was going to plaster The Heart 5 and make you think it was a single for Kendrick. Florence released 3 songs leading up to the album, If Kendrick had placed just a vinyl pre order that mightve been enough to get the top spot. It also shows you the difference between Kendrick and a Kanye or Drake. Those 2 didnt need physical sales to dominate the charts when they released their albums, it was just a given with their star power. Kacey was supposed to have the #1 album back in sept in the u.s. til Kanye decided to drop his album mid week and he got all the streams he needed in one day to overtake her, and she had sold a bunch of vinyl too.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Right, thats also another part of the issue. Its not like Radio 1 was going to plaster The Heart 5 and make you think it was a single for Kendrick. Florence released 3 songs leading up to the album, If Kendrick had placed just a vinyl pre order that mightve been enough to get the top spot. It also shows you the difference between Kendrick and a Kanye or Drake. Those 2 didnt need physical sales to dominate the charts when they released their albums, it was just a given with their star power. Kacey was supposed to have the #1 album back in sept in the u.s. til Kanye decided to drop his album mid week and he got all the streams he needed in one day to overtake her, and she had sold a bunch of vinyl too.

I don’t know if Kendrick is particularly arsed about maxing out his publicity etc, but yeah if he wants to really smash the charts he’s not (yet) in the Kanye position of being able to drop something out the blue and it blow up. He needs more of a push behind it. Like I say, maybe he just doesn’t care about that though.

Florence has obviously come back to form big time here. Pulitzer Kenny is a bit of an outlier in terms of being a headliner without needing to smash album sales so I dunno if he’s the right comparison point, but it feels to me as though Florence is back front and centre of the headliner picture. 

43 minutes ago, jparx said:

I reckon so. DAMN felt more stripped back, raw hip hop stuff. This new record is back to the Butterfly/GKMAC vibes so I think he’ll have a band for sure. 

Hope your wife is OK dude.

Shes got an issue with her thyroid called Graves disease, its manageable but she cant walk long distances with it so Glasto is a no no, we might never go back, which I'm fine with. We had our honeymoon at Glasto in 2010, 2013 and 2017 were absolutely magical years as well, so I'd never go withourt her unless she gave me her blessing to do so one year. 

Yes, I think he's back to full band this year, all suited and booted. 

I'm onto my 3rd playthrough of Mr Morale and it might become my favorite Kendrick album. I love his other albums but can really relate to some of the subject matter on this one, he's talking about some really raw and deep stuff at times, plus the production, especially some of the background beats, are so good. 

Mother I Sober with Beth Gibbons is so stunning !! 

Grey Area by Little Simz is still my favorite hip hop album of all time though. 

Edited by swede
  • Like 1

Lifelong hiphop fan/geek and he's a meh from me. Where am I going wrong? The best thing he's ever done for me is The Art of Peer Pressure - be keen if someone could point out other stuff has he done with a head-bobbing break? 😃

I've seen him live before and wasnt impressed. Was a cold and humourless experience and at times I'm convinced he was miming at times. I was right up the front, usually pretty good with this sort of call. The cerebral nature of Kendrick's material and a need to have a really passionate 1:1 interest in the lyrical content always keeps me at arms reach I think.

Seen Wu, JayZ and Kanye on the 'Mid and none really nailed it for me either. Trying to think who rinsed it. Kelis was ace I seem to recall, but this was much more a funk show. Stormzy an outlier (only saw him on telly after the fact) but I think his sense of occasion/theatre on the night was superb. He didnt just try rock a partymic. Just reckon the Pyramid is too big for some acts...

For context I've seen Simz / Nas / Snoop / Tribe / J5 / Beasties do main stage fest shows and all hit the spot.

Didnt you see one of his festival headline slots in the same run as the Reading and Bellahouston Park shows where hes widely acknowledged to have phoned it in?

Risk here is that anyone who can phone it in once can clearly do it again.

In terms of great jams, I love i - the Erney Isley sample is

faf.jpg

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Didnt you see one of his festival headline slots in the same run as the Reading and Bellahouston Park shows where hes widely acknowledged to have phoned it in?

Risk here is that anyone who can phone it in once can clearly do it again.

In terms of great jams, I love i - the Erney Isley sample is

faf.jpg

Was just about to mention "I", its my favorite Kendrick song as it personally resonated with me when I was in a very dark place after making a mess of Glasto 2015, came home physically and mentally broken, not good !! luckily he was still playing it live first time I saw him and it slapped hard, was so good !! Hope he brings it back as a live cut as he didnt play it on the DAMN ! tour. 

It was 2018, Cally. Wasnt aware that this tour was viewed as a bummer generally. That gives me some hope actually.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kendrick-lamar/2018/stradbally-hall-stradbally-ireland-2be808ee.html

Was 20 from the barrier. I may aswell have been in a diff timezone to Kung Fu Ken. No vibes, no party.

I thought I had my Sunday headliner sorted as PSB.  Then Mr. Morale came out.  I just can't stop listening to this album. How did this happen? I don't generally like mainstream rap, hip hop at all.

Please fill me in, is this gonna be a concert like Kanye's with basically him and some lights on stage?  What should I expect and which previous albums should I check out?

Thanks!