Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

8 hours ago, MaxPower said:

It was very hard to get tickets for DAMN tour in the UK, at least for venues I tried for I wasn’t able to get tickets. 

IIRC he did two or three nights at the O2 then added another night or two at Wembley Arena a couple of weeks later.

Pretty sure the Arena gigs didn’t sell out as I was unming and ahhing about going up until the last minute but was too wiped out after two weeks of no sleep.

9 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Looking to get tickets for one of the o2 shows for my sons 18th birthday. I have o2 priority, are we talking instant sell out page refreshing hell or a good chance to get tickets if I try from 09.30 Thursday? 

Think it’s gonna be an instant sell out kind of thing, or at the least you need to be on the ball as soon as tickets come out. I tried for tickets for his last tour and didn’t manage to get them, and he’s only grown in popularity, especially with the new album being so fresh and everybody talking about it.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think it’s gonna be an instant sell out kind of thing, or at the least you need to be on the ball as soon as tickets come out. I tried for tickets for his last tour and didn’t manage to get them, and he’s only grown in popularity, especially with the new album being so fresh and everybody talking about it.

Thankyou. I will take a quick break from work and give it my best shot!

My thoughts on the album: I really love the overall themes of generational trauma/guilt & shedding the "saviour" label. He's really personal here, telling us stuff like cheating on Whitney, the cousin suing him, and having writers block for 2 years. Even though I don't think it's great all the way through musically, there are so many stand outs. Father Time, Mother I sober, Mirror, N95, Silent Hill, Mr Morale.

I think there are some difficult questions to be asked with the use of the f-slur in Auntie Diaries. One on hand, yes the message is great, and the use of the slur makes the impact of the last lines more poignant, and you could argue that is similar to a film or tv show where actors might use slurs. But on the other hand, a lot of LGBT people have called him out for the use, and it's not right to dismiss the valid concerns- in music, you are more likely to have people sing along, you listen to it way more than how often someone watches visual media. I'm not too sure what to think about it, as a straight guy it was an impactful song for me.

Regardless, I can't wait for Glasto. I think there is a strong chance we will see some tap dancers. Baby Keem and Tanna Leone seem likely to guest. Would also love to have a final black hippy reunion as Mr Morale his last album on TDE.

All eyes on Milan!

I'm not really a hip hop fan, but have been enjoying listening to Kendrick in the lead up to the festival. Not sure the new album is enough to tempt me away from the rest of my crew on a Sunday night as everyone will be at Pet Shop Boys. Chems in 2015 and Justice in 2017 were great ways to end the festival with a massive group of us there, and would be great to repeat that in 2022. Getting serious FOMO reading everyone's excitement on this thread though, really hope it's a barnstormer. 

Some insanely powerful moments in this.

”I grieve different”.

“Shut the fuck up when you hear love talkin”

”I can’t please everybody”

Pretty much the whole of Auntie Diaries 

Beth’s parts/ the end of Mother I sober

”I chose myself I’m sorry”.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Some insanely powerful moments in this.

”I grieve different”.

“Shut the fuck up when you hear love talkin”

”I can’t please everybody”

Pretty much the whole of Auntie Diaries 

Beth’s parts/ the end of Mother I sober

”I chose myself I’m sorry”.

I chose myself I'm sorry, ringing out over the Pyramid field as Kendrick walks off stage before his first encore. 

• Upvote 1

Would love this, not sure of likelihood - 18/19 songs ish isn’t too crazy for a hip hop set.

*opening motif from Mr Morale*
1. N96
2. HUMBLE
3. Money Trees
4. Element
5. King Kunta
6. Loyalty
7.  Father Time
8. DNA
9. A.D.H.D
10. Swimming Pools
11. Purple Hearts
12. Crown
13. Backseat Freestyle
14. Mother I Sober
15. Alright

*closing motif from Mr Morale*

16. Ma.ad city
17. Die Hard
18. Family Ties // Range Brothers (with Baby Keem)
19. Bitch don’t kill my vibe

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Would love this, not sure of likelihood - 18/19 songs ish isn’t too crazy for a hip hop set.

1. N96
2. HUMBLE
3. Money Trees
4. Element
5. King Kunta
6. Loyalty
7.  Father Time
8. DNA
9. A.D.H.D
10. Swimming Pools
11. Purple Hearts
12. Crown
13. Backseat Freestyle
14. Mother I Sober
15. Alright

16. Ma.ad city
17. Die Hard

Hopefully Kendrick is an avid reader of eFestivals and sees this! 

1. N96
2. HUMBLE
3. Money Trees
4. Element
5. King Kunta
6. Loyalty
7.  Father Time
8. DNA
9. A.D.H.D
10. Swimming Pools
11. Purple Hearts
12. Crown
13. Backseat Freestyle
14. Mother I Sober
15. Alright

16. Ma.ad city
17. Die Hard

Drop purple hearts replace with united in grief and then throw all the stars in and mr morale for crown.

also.. if he played the goosebumps remix do you think people would be like "omg its a travis song" or would people just get on down and party?!

Had time to digest the album fully now. Another amazing piece of work from a guy in a league of his own. No other rapper comes close. I love how introspective and reflective the whole thing is; Kendrick is definitely someone of a INFP/INFJ personality. Highlights: United in Grief, N95, We Cry Together, Mother I Sober, Mirror. There's definitely a lull between track 10 and track 14, but it ends with a cracking collection of songs. TPAB will always be his greatest masterpiece (easily the greatest hip hop album of all time IMO), but I'd say this comes a nice joint second along with GKMC. Only way I won't be at the pyramid on Sunday night is if The War on Drugs get announced and perform the same time somewhere else. 

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Drop purple hearts replace with united in grief and then throw all the stars in and mr morale for crown.

also.. if he played the goosebumps remix do you think people would be like "omg its a travis song" or would people just get on down and party?!

I hope he doesn’t play all the stars. Mid song of his and he has better stuff.

Can’t believe I forgot to include Mr Morale*

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I hope he doesn’t play all the stars. Mid song of his and he has better stuff.

Can’t believe I forgot to include Mr Morale*

though i agree wasnt it huge?! like in terms of general public? maybe i got it mxied up with something else

1. N96
2. HUMBLE
3. Money Trees
4. Element
5. King Kunta
6. Loyalty
7.  Father Time
8. DNA
9. A.D.H.D
10. Swimming Pools
11. Purple Hearts
12. Crown
13. Backseat Freestyle
14. Mother I Sober
15. Alright

16. Ma.ad city
17. Die Hard

Something like this would be ace, although I’d love him to start with United In Grief before going into N95.

26 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

though i agree wasnt it huge?! like in terms of general public? maybe i got it mxied up with something else

Yeah I thought it was pretty big with the casuals as well, would help get a lot of people on side if he included it in the set. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What I found quite interesting with putting together a Kenny setlist is, any time he wants to make a swerve into a more experimental record, he could snap it back quite quickly by dropping a crowd banger pretty quickly. 

Majority of the set is Certified Crowd Pleasing Bangers:

Humble
DNA

maad city

backseat freestyle

Swimming Pools

Bitch dont kill my vibe

Money Trees

Element

Alright

All the stars
Die Hard

N95

Mr Morale

Just now, TiZuff said:

Bigger question, if hes going to do some covers / songs hes featured on what are the best bets?!

Hope not - he’s not exactly known for bringing his A-game to a lot of his features, plus he’s got too many of his own songs that it’d be a shame if he wasted time on other peoples. Maybe something with Keem… but I bet/hope that’s it.