Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

26 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

if you love hip hop and not feeling him by now then i dont think it will change any time soonl esepcially if you like RTJ and the social / polticial hip hop killer mike drops, im surprised you havent connected with kendrick. 

I didn't get him until 12 months ago (I didn't bother going to Leeds one year as i didn't like him or the other headliners a few years ago) and I'm a fan of the artists / bands you have quoted.

Then like many great bands, it just all clicked in to place and now he is no 1 on my list to see. 

I would keep going with these tracks: 

Damn, DNA, Mad City, Swimming Pools, Backstreet Freestyle, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Alright, Element.

Hopefully it all clicks into place and you get to see what is going to be some moment. 

9 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I didn't get him until 12 months ago (I didn't bother going to Leeds one year as i didn't like him or the other headliners a few years ago) and I'm a fan of the artists / bands you have quoted.

Then like many great bands, it just all clicked in to place and now he is no 1 on my list to see. 

I would keep going with these tracks: 

Damn, DNA, Mad City, Swimming Pools, Backstreet Freestyle, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Alright, Element.

Hopefully it all clicks into place and you get to see what is going to be some moment. 

hopefully you are right for him because i honestly believe ( and i can see the comments coming..) we have an opportunity to watch this generations tupac, biggies, Rakim, andre 3000, Big L, Nas, Jay Z whatever. if you are a hip hop fan i wouldnt miss it as its not happening again.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I completely see this point of view, that Sunday night emotional state really can dictate things sometimes. 

Kenny on the Friday was always the dream for me but I'm hoping Lorde before (is this basically confirmed btw?) will get some of my mates there with me and then they'll hopefully stay. 

Purple Hearts could be a good opener actually. Listening through on headphones now, some of the beats on here go haaard. 

We don’t really have any idea who’s on before him to be honest. There’s a good like five or six possibilities 

9 hours ago, Slugy said:

For me yes but I just can't see him doing it or Mother I Sober. I did try and lean more towards what we would call a greatest hits set.

but i NEED him to bring Beth Gibbons out on stage ... what a moment that would be! 

Been listening to the new album and i'm blown away, not sure if i'd put it above TPAB or GKMC yet but i'd put it above Damn. Had a bit of a think about what he usually plays and I can see the setlist looking a bit like this.

1. Mr. Morale
2. N95
3. Swimming Pools (Drank)
4. Backseat Freestyle
5. Purple Trees
6. DNA
7. ELEMENT
8. LOYALTY
9. Money Trees
10. Father Time
11. King Kunta
12. Alright
13. M.A.A.D City
14. Mirror
15. Count Me Out
16. HUMBLE
Encore
17. United In Grief
18. Die Hard
19. LOVE
20. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe

All the biggest hits from his older albums he tends to play live a lot plus a hefty amount of new album material which he's likely to do (see his Damn-heavy Coachella setlist in 2017 just a week after it came out).

Put it into a playlist and have a listen - think it flows pretty well. The only change i'd maybe make is swapping out Mirror or Count me Out for Mother I Sober but part of me feels like he'll lean more towards crowd-pleasers like he usually does. He never really did Blacker the Berry or Sing about Me much on recent tours or anything like that.

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

Been listening to the new album and i'm blown away, not sure if i'd put it above TPAB or GKMC yet but i'd put it above Damn. Had a bit of a think about what he usually plays and I can see the setlist looking a bit like this.

1. Mr. Morale
2. N95
3. Swimming Pools (Drank)
4. Backseat Freestyle
5. Purple Trees
6. DNA
7. ELEMENT
8. LOYALTY
9. Money Trees
10. Father Time
11. King Kunta
12. Alright
13. M.A.A.D City
14. Mirror
15. Count Me Out
16. HUMBLE
Encore
17. United In Grief
18. Die Hard
19. LOVE
20. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe

All the biggest hits from his older albums he tends to play live a lot plus a hefty amount of new album material which he's likely to do (see his Damn-heavy Coachella setlist in 2017 just a week after it came out).

Put it into a playlist and have a listen - think it flows pretty well. The only change i'd maybe make is swapping out Mirror or Count me Out for Mother I Sober but part of me feels like he'll lean more towards crowd-pleasers like he usually does. He never really did Blacker the Berry or Sing about Me much on recent tours or anything like that.

is purple trees the long awaited mash up of purple pills and purple hearts, with a guest feature by bizzare of d12... imagine the scenes.

sat here at 2am and listening to Auntie Diaries and it hit me...

demetrius is sheranes aka master splinters daughters cousin? from GKMC. HER FAVOURITE COUSIN DEMETRIUS IS IRREPITABLE

This song is from sheranes POV?? the girl that led to him being robbed in GKMC... where the fuck is the mind blown emoji

Also, subtle thing but whenever kendrick says Demetrius is Mary ann now... the sound moves from left to right (in religeon, right side is good, left side evil). when the preacher calls out demetrius in church the sound moves from right to left... its a fucking small details but it just shows the level of detail kendrick puts in his music...

man this guy is a genius.

Edited by TiZuff
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

About to listen to the album, none of my mates will want to watch Kendrick. All of them will be at Bicep. The album will let me know where I should be on Sunday I think. (Fontaines are on my must see list though too)

I am leaning on watching Kendrick as it stands.

Where to start with it? I am not a huge hip hop fan, but I really like Kendrick. The hip hop I am into is generally more "danceable" and generally older, but as I say Kendrick seems to be different.

Overall it's a great album.. just 1 I'm not sure I want to listen to last thing on a Sunday at Glastonbury. Starts off great with the opening 2 tunes. I am ok until we cry together, which I found funny tbh. Then musically it tails off for me. Crown, Silent Hill & Savior - lyrically are great, but are hardly party tunes for a Sunday.

Auntie Diaries is genuinely surprising. Again this isnt something to go out and stomp to, but it's a genuinely thought provoking tune. 

Mr Morale is more upbeat, before Mother I Sober is another chin stroker.

Overall I'd say it isnt my thing musically, but there is a lot to unpack lyrically & I really enjoyed it overall. The man's a genius. 

N95, Auntie Diaries & Mr Morale are the standout tracks IMO.

Still not clearer on who I'll see next month. I enjoyed the album, but it's no banger-fest. 

Liking the list @Acid_Haze. I suspect we'll get something a little shorter / more cut-up with a smattering of extra guests, myself. Duval Timothy will be in the house band as well.

1. N95
2. Mr. Morale
3. King Kunta
4. Die Hard
5. Swimming Pools (Drank) / Money Trees / M.A.A.D City [Medley]
6. United In Grief
7. Count Me Out
8. Father Time [with Sampha] 
9. Backstreet Freestyle
10. Worldwide Steppers
11. LOYALTY / ELEMENT [Medley]
12. Family Ties [with/without Baby Keem]
13. Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
14. HUMBLE
Encore
15. Mother I Share [with Beth Gibbons]
16. DNA
17. LOVE
18. Alright

Hm –  having a second stab at this. TBAP tour setlists were interesting, as he was touring a new record (an instant classic at that, too), but only played about 3 tunes off it. Let's say Mr. Morale gets a half-dozen.

Think Worldwide Steppers won't make the cut, and I suspect United In Grief might not either. If Keem is out on stage then Savior is a natural and great 1-2.

Kendrick's also never been one for a lengthy encore. Not that type of performer — and would skip them entirely for many of the early tours. Reckon we'll get an explicitly pro-(self) love ending, so, following that logic:

1. N95
2. Mr. Morale
3. King Kunta
4. DNA
5. Swimming Pools (Drank) / Money Trees / M.A.A.D City [Medley]
6. LOYALTY / ELEMENT [Medley]
7. Count Me Out
8. Father Time [with Sampha] 
9. Backstreet Freestyle
10. Savior
11. Family Ties [with/without Baby Keem] 
12. Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
13. HUMBLE
14. Alright
Encore
15. Mother I Share [with Beth Gibbons]
16. Mirror
17. LOVE

8 hours ago, TiZuff said:

is purple trees the long awaited mash up of purple pills and purple hearts, with a guest feature by bizzare of d12... imagine the scenes.

Lol purple hearts... i'm an idiot. I was probably writing purple hearts while listening to money trees