Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

They did it for the Stones didn’t they? 

I’m pretty meh about it anyway. Doesn’t seem to add any value and it just reduces the standing area for everyone 🤷

Yep. Always assumed that was part of the compensation for the Stones accepting a reduced fee rather than something they could do whenever an artist asks for it, but I guess we’ll see next month. 

6 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

the difference between a black man saying the n-word and a straight man saying the f-word is pretty clear to me 

Very good point.

I listen to Hip Hop from all eras maybe I’m just a bit numb to it I dunno. I’m questioning myself as much as everyone else. Why didn’t it shock me or offend me. 

7 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

They did it for the Stones didn’t they? 

I’m pretty meh about it anyway. Doesn’t seem to add any value and it just reduces the standing area for everyone 🤷

Depends how they do it. At Coachella it takes nothing away from the space since its just in between all of the barriers. The stones werent like neck deep it the crowd so this could be totally different if they do it.

the whole point of using the F word in the song is to educate the community that its double standards to expect people to not use the N word and then use the F word... thats a positive message to communities where homophobic slurs are still common place.

i grew up in one and still hear it to this day. you call people out on it but it needs people with much wider reach and influence than myself to educate.

Edited by TiZuff
  • Upvote 1

I remember watching I May Destroy You and they had the scene where she girl had a sub word for the N word and not a sub word for the F word (I think) and he pulled her up on it. That was the first time I’d ever seen it from that point of view. I’d ashamed to admit I’d been rapping along with the F word without second thought for most of my life until that point. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Very good point.

I listen to Hip Hop from all eras maybe I’m just a bit numb to it I dunno. I’m questioning myself as much as everyone else. Why didn’t it shock me or offend me. 

It didn't really offend me, but I just see why others like the poster on the last page would be offended. It definitely shocked me though! which i think was the intended effect.

It's a very complex issue to be honest and I'd definitely defend his right to be able to tell the story in a challenging way, but I also think that people should be heard if they are offended by the final product. A lot of the time these debates get shut down with 'artistry' nonsense that ends up being way more close minded than the people that are critiquing the work (not on here, just in general)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tommy Dickfingers said:

My mate just said it best in you should feel uncomfortable if N or F word is used by someone who isn’t. It isn’t my place to say if Kendrick can say it in that tune or not to be honest as a straight man. 

Reminds me when a white work colleague piped up and said the only time anyone can use the n-word is when they are one. 

The entire office was floored. I still chuckle. 

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Think you’re mad if you go and see PSB. Different strokes for different folks. 

Wouldn’t say mad, boils down to what you sort of experience you want that night.

Kendrick will be great, no question, but for me it’ll be a solo mission and let’s be honest here it’ll be fairly chin strokey. Whereas PSB will be one massive party and my mates will be there for what will be the last main set of the weekend. If he were playing Friday or Saturday I’d care less about ditching the rest of my lot but there’s something about the final night that demands having your people around you.

Going to get a ticket for one of the O2 dates then see where the vibe takes me on the night I reckon.

deffo agree on the chin strokey bit but i just cant miss it. ive been a kendrick fan since before i was a fan of glastonbury. to see him perform at glastonbury and headline it... i just cant miss it. id love to catch bicep on the last night. west holts, straight into SE corner,. but i gotta support an artist like kendrick. would have preffered the original setup which was kendrick, macca , taylor (billie eilish) but i shouldnt complain.

lucky to have a ticket, lucky its happening, lucky its kendrick, lucky 15 of my mates will be with me at kendrick.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t know where people are getting this from that Kendrick won’t be a party?

You know his back catalogue still exists? 

it wont be radiohead level chin strokey, but for people who arent hip hop heads? dont know i think it will pass them by in large parts. i mean if you listen to DNA, Maad city, Backseat freestyle, bitch dont kill my vibe, money trees, XXX and dont think its gonna be fun then its just not for you i guess. and thats ok. luckily glasto has like a million stages 😛

1 minute ago, KPSandwiches said:

I'm also confused by this lol. Like it'll be some latter day Scott Walker or something.

Nobody is saying it won’t be that, Matt is just creating something for himself to argue against…

Kendrick has some massive bangers in his arsenal, but a lot of it is very serious that requires appreciation. Whereas PSB will be big, dumb, camp pop fun. One lends itself to the “last night party vibe” more than the other.

Let’s just take a step back and realise now what Kendrick has in his discography 

United In Grief, N95, Die Hard, Father Time, Purple Hearts, Count Me Out, Mr Morale all easy crowd pleasers from the new album.

That’s on top of All The Stars, Humble, Loyalty, DNA, King Kunta, Alright, The Blacker the Berry, I, bitch don’t kill my vibe, backseat freestyle, money trees, Maad city, swimming pools etc.

He has a shit tonne of songs which will go down well live. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Nobody is saying it won’t be that, Matt is just creating something for himself to argue against…

Kendrick has some massive bangers in his arsenal, but a lot of it is very serious that requires appreciation. Whereas PSB will be big, dumb, camp pop fun. One lends itself to the “last night party vibe” more than the other.

Yeah can’t argue with that. I’m not even that big of a fan of PSB but am still pretty gutted to be missing their live show as by all accounts they absolutely bring it and that field will be bouncing.
I’m also gutted about missing Bicep, but know they’ll be back in the near future, probably headlining Other in 2-3 years time, so no biggie (although them on Holts will be amazing).

Honestly never thought Kenny would end up playing Glastonbury though after the murmurs of his Reading/Leeds fee so just an unmissable one for me. Tbh I’m pretty curious to see what the reception to him is gonna be like, as he doesn’t exactly have an arsenal of chart bangers like Kanye did and even he managed to kind of fuck it - Kenny (especially now with the new album) has far more slow, introspective stuff - the kind of stuff that completely stifled Kanye’s set.
Think I’m gonna absolutely love it, but the people I’m going with who aren’t really Kendrick (or even hip hop, really) fans… I’m not sure.