Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

His set list when I saw him at The O2 on the DAMN tour - 

1. DNA.
  2. ELEMENT.
  3. King Kunta
  4. untitled 07 | 2014 - 2016
  5. goosebumps (Travis Scott cover)
  6. Collard Greens (ScHoolboy Q cover)
  7. Swimming Pools (Drank)
  8. Backseat Freestyle
  9. LOYALTY.
  10. FEEL. (Intro played with dance performance on stage)
  11. LUST.
  12. Money Trees
  13. XXX.
  14. m.A.A.d city
  15. PRIDE.
  16. LOVE.
  17. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
  18. Alright
  19. HUMBLE. (with crowd a cappella and restart

Encore:
  20. GOD.

How he fits this new album in, only he knows

I actually took today off, partly to listen to this album.

Just gave it the whip test and Count me Out really leaping out at me right now. Loving Rich Spirit too.

Definitely found this the most challenging "first listen" of a Kendrick album, in lots of ways: few obvious bangers, choruses / hooks, some abrasive sounds, mental lyrical density and some difficult subject matter, but holy shiiiiit it's good.

Not sure how well any of this will translate live, and don't think there's a banger here that'll convert anyone on the fence. I'm just excited to see this generational artist at the best place in the world.

7 hours ago, jannybruck said:

I really hate that he's used the F word on this, even if it's quoting someone else, and multiple uses of 'bitch' as derogatory term. He's better than that, it's jarring and it totally takes me out of it.

His use of the F word is artistically justified in my opinion, but I agree with you about “bitch”. It appears far too often on this album and often in a gendered way. It’s 2022 - that shit is indefensible.

It’s odd to hear someone rap positively about trans people and be considered enough to rap about the emptiness of society, then casually use that word. He can’t even use the ‘cultural’ defence given what he had to say about that in The Heart #5.

It’s not enough to stop me enjoying the album but it stops it being as good as it could have been. 

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kalifire said:

His use of the F word is artistically justified in my opinion, but I agree with you about “bitch”. It appears far too often on this album and often in a gendered way as well.  It’s 2022 - that shit is indefensible.

It’s odd to hear someone rap positively about trans people and be considered enough to rap about the emptiness of society, then casually use that word. He can’t even use the ‘cultural’ defence given what he had to say about that in The Heart #5.

It’s not enough to stop me enjoying the album but it stops it being as good as it could have been. 

I know what you mean, which was why I initially felt WCT was so tonally jarring.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

His use of the F word is artistically justified in my opinion, but I agree with you about “bitch”. It appears far too often on this album and often in a gendered way as well.  It’s 2022 - that shit is indefensible.

I’ve felt like this for a while and never understood why he didn’t get called out for it. A couple of the women I’m going with have never bothered with him for this reason too.

Agree on the F word too, powerful and justified usage, that track really hit me.

10 minutes ago, kalifire said:

His use of the F word is artistically justified in my opinion, but I agree with you about “bitch”. It appears far too often on this album and often in a gendered way. It’s 2022 - that shit is indefensible.

yeah i'm in agreement on all points here (out of upvotes) , the use of "bitch" wasn't enough to be jarring but it pricked my ears up in a bit of an unpleasant way 

first point agree with 100% , the F word hit hard and intentionally so

We Cry Together is such a masterpiece. A broadway show told through rap, where the arguments are the lyrics. It's absolutely brilliant. It might be my favourite track alongside N95, just so unbelievably creative.

Don't get why people are being precious about the use of the word Bitch. Kendrick tells stories, his albums are cinematic experiences with characters. If you hear the word Bitch from a character in a book you wouldn't get offended. I honestly don't see the difference. People need to relax; this is poetry, not politics.

Edited by downtherabbithole

10 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Don't get why people are being precious about the use of the word Bitch. Kendrick tells stories, his albums are cinematic experiences with characters. If you hear the word Bitch from a character in a book you wouldn't get offended. I honestly don't see the difference. People need to relax; this is poetry, not politics.

Because it’s a gendered pejorative. I understand its use as character dialogue (although even then it feels cheap), but it appears throughout this album, often specifically describing women. To me, that’s not OK. 

8 minutes ago, leath02 said:

For those questioning the 'F's and don't have the context 

https://www.thefocus.news/music/auntie-diaries-meaning/

This song goes deep

the context was pretty apparent to me on first listen. the lyrics are quite easy to follow 

the message of the song is very agreeable, can't see many people taking an issue with that. but I do understand why some folk wouldn't agree with the way it's put across 

The F-bombs are definitely shocking on the first listen, and maybe that's how / why they earn their place? I don't know if anyone from the community it impacts on this forum feels strongly either way but would like to know. The language makes the story / message very affecting for me personally.

"Bitch" is a funny one. Seems to be such a diverse spectrum of acceptability for it. Is the fact none of us are saying "the B word" telling in itself, in a way? Justifiable in the context of WCT but elsewhere... feels like Kenny's vocabulary is wide enough to use other words? I don't encounter it in any way other than the pejorative as Kalifire says.

8 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Do we think that this is a digital only release? 

Or is he saving the physical release for the pre-sale, world tour announcements?

If you find out, please do post it here (I'll do the same). Would like to act fast if there's any limited vinyl release.

Edit: I did see on Reddit that they were selling CDs in the US, but not seen any pics of them or anything

Edited by KPSandwiches
Extra info

7 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Or is he saving the physical release for the pre-sale, world tour announcements?

Best guess is physical will come later in the year. The lack of time between announcement and release means they can’t get millions of CDs/vinyls pressed, printed and distributed in time.

8 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

It’ll get a vinyl run at some point I’m sure. It’s just the plants are choka atm and he’s probably not in a rush.