Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

As Matt said above way more digestible than TPAB but without the big singles. Plenty of songs here that slap and I think will translate well live though. The deep moments though, just wow. I don't think it will knock GKMC of the top spot for me but it's up there.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We Cry Together is a massive misstep.

Sounds like it should be in an Eminem album.

Somebody obviously doesnt know how tough shit gets in relationships, especially with poc. If this kind of domestic stuff makes you uncomfortable then Kendrick did his job. Its gonna be something else if he does it during his set and its broadcast. Might get more complaints than whatever Megan does.

There's absolutely no doubt about the creativity within this album. It transcends hip-hop. My only concern is it translating live...to a not completely partizan audience. I wonder if these two festival appearances are going to be the litmus test to see how a new material heavy set will be received?

It could be Radiohead 1997...or Radiohead 2017.

Definitely going to be there to find out. 

N95 and Baby Keem's family ties are cut from the same sample or am I hearing things?

I know Kendrick in the past said that Keem used one of the samples he was gonna used and was blown away with what he done with it, maybe N95 was that?

Edited by Slugy

We Cry Together was a bit of tough to listen to but I assume that's the point. The song is fantastic when they go from talking to switching up flows and Taylour Paige should I say out shines Kendrick here, she is fucking great. I am guessing as many others, this will most likely be a skip for me but knowing Kendrick the song is there for a reason.

Edited by Slugy

Just finished my first listen... hasn't quite grabbed me the way previous albums have immediately, but I do suspect it's one that'll take a few listens to open up.

A few stray observations:

• Sounds like Kendrick has been listening to a fair bit of grime, some of the tunes and production sound very grimey (N95 for example).
  • Starts very strongly, the beat on United Like Grief sounds like something Radiohead would put out.
  • Loses it's way a bit in the middle, one or two clunkers (like WCT) that maybe could have been cut.
  • The run of Saviour - Auntie Diaries - Mr Morale towards the end is incredibly strong.
  • Be interesting to see how much of this transfers over to the live show, some of it - N95, Die Hard, Mr Morale I was listening to and already picturing it being performed on the Pyramid.

Got a few more albums to listen to today (Smile, Flo, Black Keys) but will come back to it for another go later.

As with Kendrick I always feel like I need multiple listens for it to sink in, but I thought that was fantastic. Been a fan since Section 80 and the man always amazes me how he continually swerves all my expectations with every new release and stays such a creative force considering how huge he is. Die Hard, Count Me Out, Mother I Sober, Mr. Morale, Mirror some of my initial favourites. Going into my second listen through now.

Mr. Morale def the opener on the Pyramid.