Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

15 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I really hate that he's used the F word on this, even if it's quoting someone else, and multiple uses of 'bitch' as derogatory term. He's better than that, it's jarring and it totally takes me out of it. 

Decent album, second half is stronger than the first, it's not a masterpiece and I'm not sure how often I'll come back to it but he's still the best at it right now. 

You've missed the whole point of the song. I'm bi, my partner is bi and non binary and I love that it's used in the way it has been. The last time it's used he comes to the conclusion and says' f bomb'.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Depends on how much of it is in the setlist, tbh. He'll have fewer partisans in the crowd than the acts you mention.

Fela aside, I guess.

Kendrick in 2022 is 100% gonna have a more clued-up Glasto crowd than Jay in 2008. The festival dynamics have shifted enough to ensure that.

I love Jay to death, and he smashed the set without question, but casuals waving their hands to 99 Problems and Umbrella weren't partisans by any metric — watch the place erupt if/when Ken drops Wesley's Theory or Money Trees or any non-single and that's proof in the pudding.

Think you're on a losing wicket assuming the set will brick. He's got more than enough credit in the bank to swerve Gorillaz pt.II

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Kendrick in 2022 is 100% gonna have a more clued-up Glasto crowd than Jay in 2008. The festival dynamics have shifted enough to ensure that.

I love Jay to death, and he smashed the set without question, but casuals waving their hands to 99 Problems and Umbrella weren't partisans by any metric — watch the place erupt if/when Ken drops Wesley's Theory or Money Trees or any non-single and that's proof in the pudding.

Think you're on a losing wicket assuming the set will brick. He's got more than enough credit in the bank to swerve Gorillaz pt.II

Yup, Kendrick won't have a big crowd but those who are there will be going in knowing what to expect.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Worldwide Steppers, maybe.

Ah yeah course.

id argue that’s the same as the other two songs though, as he’s making a point about his own (and everyone else’s) morality.  He’s not meant to be a good person using the correct language in the context of that song.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The locals who default to the Pyramid with their picnic chairs won't have a scooby.

It’s probably just a scheduling thing, but part of me hopes they’ve booked him there for that exact reason. How can we get these people off their arses and exploring something else?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Your words, not mine. But a setlist dominated by this album will be a head-nodder / chin-stroker and maybe not one that will convince the curious or the people on the fence.

The album itself is magnificent.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

The locals who default to the Pyramid with their picnic chairs won't have a scooby.

That's on themselves. It's not up to Kendrick to play to those people. 

My partner doesn't get hip hop or rap in general, so despite it being their first Glastonbury they won't be near the pyramid.

All this being said, Mr Morale is closer to Maxinquaye than m.A.A.d city. Bangersville it is not.

Hope the new tunes are integrated well in Milan, not overloaded in the middle. Trust they will be tbh, that Vegas set shows Ken knows how to delight a big crowd.

So he's playing that Milan festival on Glasto Thursday, and then Glastonbury on Sunday, right? Just one gig, then ours?

Man, it's going to be interesting to see how he assembles his new show. I can't imagine he'd dip in and out of the new album. I expect he'll build a mini-set around it, showcase it as much as possible, then crack on with various bangers from the past. But who knows?