Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

Initial thoughts

That beat on Mr Morales is going to be  a special moment live. 

Definitely enjoying the second half of the album more than the first but overall really like it.

Felt pretty emotional listening to Auntie Diaries. Not sure there is anyone else out there who would have the balls to write a track like that let alone put it on such a long awaited album. 

42 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Can't exactly picture this being the bulk of a festival or tour set, but I'm even more excited for the live show now. With some suitably dark / fire 'n brimstone visuals and a full band it will be in-cred-ible.

Incredible like Gorillaz doing Plastic Beach on El Pointo.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Incredible like Gorillaz doing Plastic Beach on El Pointo.

Or Radiohead doing Myxomatosis, The Cure doing Disintegration, Jay doing Heart Of The City, Fela doing anything...

Not everyone wants to play for the cheap seats. Weirdly narrow stance to think nothing dark/dense can work up there.

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve only just woken up. Listening to united in grief and I’m already in.

This is like his Kid A.

We had 3 months to listen to Kid A before it was even officially released. And youre not gonna put this on every day for the rest of the year. 

I really hate that he's used the F word on this, even if it's quoting someone else, and multiple uses of 'bitch' as derogatory term. He's better than that, it's jarring and it totally takes me out of it. 

Decent album, second half is stronger than the first, it's not a masterpiece and I'm not sure how often I'll come back to it but he's still the best at it right now. 

9 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I really hate that he's used the F word on this, even if it's quoting someone else

Isn't that whole song about the folly of tossing ignorant slang around growing up, how casual homophobia/transphobia is just as corrosive as racism or anything else, spearing himself as a hypocrite (again)?

Agreed that f word is challenging, but think the point was made eloquently, especially the last line.

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Or Radiohead doing Myxomatosis, The Cure doing Disintegration, Jay doing Heart Of The City, Fela doing anything...

Not everyone wants to play for the cheap seats. Weirdly narrow stance to think nothing dark/dense can work up there.

Depends on how much of it is in the setlist, tbh. He'll have fewer partisans in the crowd than the acts you mention.

Fela aside, I guess.

19 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I really hate that he's used the F word on this, even if it's quoting someone else, and multiple uses of 'bitch' as derogatory term. He's better than that, it's jarring and it totally takes me out of it. 

Decent album, second half is stronger than the first, it's not a masterpiece and I'm not sure how often I'll come back to it but he's still the best at it right now. 

I think that Auntie Diaries is a lovely track, and it is brave and significant for a  rapper of Kendrick’s stature to include a song like that on a mainstream album. The use of the word is obliviously to demonstrate how wrong it’s use is. There are huge issues of homophobia and transphobia in black American communities and Kendrick is addressing that.

Bitch (and the n-word) are frequently used in black American vernacular in non-derogatory manners to refer to men and women. I can’t really think top of my head where the word bitch is used derogatorily about a woman in this album other than in We Cry Together, which is obviously while he’s role playing a character.

Edited by MaxPower