Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Also be interesting to see how heavy the Glastonbury set is on this stuff. Not a whole lot of hands in the air, feel good anthems.

On first listen it's an immense piece of work....but it's not a party album by any means. 

It's more like The fucking Wall or something.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can imagine it pretty easily now.

It's not going to attract any swing voters wanting to end the weekend with a bang, for sure.

I found it deep, layered, reflective, introspective... but more an album I can see myself putting on when I'm in that kind of mood. It would live in a different pile than albums I can whack on and enjoy casually (not that I have piles, you'll be pleased to know).

This album sounds like Kendrick's Kid A Amnesiac. The submerged beats and the jazzy motifs rendered in stunning clarity. Definitely downcast, angry and apocalyptic in vibe too.

That switch from United In Grief to N95 made my stomach drop. Wild production levels.

Up devouring it in a Portland hotel room, pushing midnight. Feels monumental. Kind of album no-one else on earth could even get close to making.

Can't exactly picture this being the bulk of a festival or tour set, but I'm even more excited for the live show now. With some suitably dark / fire 'n brimstone visuals and a full band it will be in-cred-ible.

I feel similarly to how I did after TPAB, in that the lyricism is amazing, and it’s extremely interesting, but I’m not sure I’m loving it from a musical standpoint.

I ended up loving TPAB after a few listens, so I’ll probably be the same here.

Definitely of the TPAB mould, rather than the GKMC/DAMN mould.

Unsure how that translates into a live show, I feel GKMC/DAMN lends themselves better to a live show. 

Auntie Diaries is seriously, seriously bold songwriting. Fuck me.

It's like the sequel to Sing About Me I'm Dying Of Thirst, but with Kendrick turning his pen to trans rights rather than needless bloodshed. The final lines are a hammer.

4 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

He’s surely got to make the album the centre-piece of the set, make it proper theatrical. If he just grabs a few of these into a normal festival set, we’re in damp squid territory. 

As a fan, I’m glad this is going to take a few listens to sink in. 

Exactly my thoughts so far. I can see Farther Time opening and then hoping he goes straight into bangers. Mid set does some theatrical stuff with this album, followed by more bangers. 

I'm up to We Cry Together and I'm loving the album, but it makes me even more worried about the set haha