Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

4 hours ago, Haan said:

I don't really think he needs another classic, biggie only has one. 2Pac only has one or two (me against the world is the best pac album!!!) and they're in the GOAT conversation. Good Kid and TPAB cemented his status for me, everything else is just a bonus. 

Wu Tang are icons with only one classic (if you don't include the solo stuff).

Lil Wayne is up there for his feature and mixtape run, and you can argue has no classic albums, just a very consistent run of classic verses. Guess it's more about impact than anything else really

Agree with your point but not your specifics at all. Life After Death is by any metric a classic.

And I kind of hate his music but The Carter IV is also an indisputable classic imo. 

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

It's my understanding that Kendrick's sets are pretty short.

With the heart part 5, a new double album and his back catalogue surely we will get at least a 2 hour set from him.

What do y'all reckon?  

90 minutes tops I'd say. Not many rappers go over that, it's a lot tougher than regular singing.

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

It's my understanding that Kendrick's sets are pretty short.

With the heart part 5, a new double album and his back catalogue surely we will get at least a 2 hour set from him.

What do y'all reckon?  

He was doing 17-18ish songs in about 75 minutes last time out I think, so it’ll probably be similar again, maybe bumped to 90. 

He won’t play The Heart pt5 

10 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Agree with your point but not your specifics at all. Life After Death is by any metric a classic.

And I kind of hate his music but The Carter IV is also an indisputable classic imo. 

Carter II and III are better than IV, I can concede Life After Death being classic but I don't feel like it is 

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Was it? Dang, never got to that. My daughter selfishly decided to be born over the weekend he was playing the O2.

One of the greatest gigs I've ever been to and I was stood in the seat in the heavens at the back. Anyone who's doubting this man's ability to put on the greatest rap headline slot Glastonbury has ever seen needs to seriously consider themselves. 

19 minutes ago, leath02 said:

One of the greatest gigs I've ever been to and I was stood in the seat in the heavens at the back. Anyone who's doubting this man's ability to put on the greatest rap headline slot Glastonbury has ever seen needs to seriously consider themselves. 

Dunno I’m a huge fan and seen him twice, but the R+L dead set plus various bad US sets over the years does worry me.

Hip-Hop live generally is the most bit and miss genre I think, just based on the practicalities of it largely being one person rapping (see Little Simz and earlier Kanye for how it can and should be done). 

I hope it’ll be sick, I’ll be there and I like @Matt42’s logic that he won’t be burnt out due to lack of touring, but inversely I do worry he wont bring much production because he isnt touring. 

Always feel strange hearing people talk about the Reading set as if it was something tragic. I went there barely knowing any songs and came out completely sold on him as an act with him going on to become one of my favourite artists! 

Admittedly, the replay online makes it seem tame but there at the front, with a great view of the backing band it really felt like a moment. 

5 hours ago, Haan said:

biggie only has one.

That’s often said, but Life After Death is a classic to my ears. Almost every track is brilliant, and Big’s best story telling is on that album. He could have released each half separately and he’s have had three classics. 

I know it’s subjective but I’d add Jay’s The Black Album (and possibly even 4:44) and Warren G’s G Funk Era to the list of all time great hip hop albums. 

There’s absolutely no way he’s going to come in with a sub-par set (no live band, no production, backing tape etc.)

This is one of only a very small handful of sets he’s doing on the back of his first album for five years. It’s an amazingly rare thing to have such a celebrated artist drop a major album and then turn up at a festival. We’re incredibly lucky. 

Imagine wanting to go and see the Pet Shop Boys over this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, copperbottom said:

I'm amazed how little we know about what he's dropping considering it's around 12 hours until it releases worldwide; such a successful rollout, the hype's through the roof.

Completely agree, so so happy there have been no leaks or really any sort of information at all, definitely builds the hype even more than it already was, cannot wait to hear it, and potentially see if there are any hidden features etc, a very successful rollout indeed, the way Kendrick intended it to be - I don't doubt at all that this will be another classic in his discography

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

That’s often said, but Life After Death is a classic to my ears. Almost every track is brilliant, and Big’s best story telling is on that album. He could have released each half separately and he’s have had three classics. 

I know it’s subjective but I’d add Jay’s The Black Album (and possibly even 4:44) and Warren G’s G Funk Era to the list of all time great hip hop albums. 

I think Biggie is an incredible storyteller, and "I got a story to tell" and "notorious thugs" are perfect songs, but there is a bit of fluff. Diddy whispering all over it is so annoying.

Completely agree with the Jay Z picks, I'd put Reasonable Doubt there too. 

8 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Seemss gonna have to wait ti like everyones gonna have to wait 5am BST. Since it didnt pop up in NZ a couple hours ago and  thats usually the norm.

Yeah had a feeling that would be the case - no way was it gonna come out early somewhere and leak all over the net. 

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Seemss gonna have to wait ti like everyones gonna have to wait 5am BST. Since it didnt pop up in NZ a couple hours ago and  thats usually the norm.

Moments I’m glad to live in Australia. That’s my Friday afternoon sorted. 

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah had a feeling that would be the case - no way was it gonna come out early somewhere and leak all over the net. 

Like it wouldve mattered. Thats gonna happen regardless. You could build up hype for all the casuals with some people listening to it beforehand. and how many people even try to download stuff anyway. 99% of people are mobile based now so unless yuo had an android phone, downloading to your apple device is not really happening. At least the Florence album is out in the meantime. Also the NFL schedule is out this afternoon, hehe.

Edited by Suprefan

3 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

5am? as in 5am friday morning right ? so it will be up and ready to listen to first thing in the morning tommorow in the uk?

yeah, it's a global release, so it'll release everywhere at once, when it's midnight in NYC, and 5am in the UK