Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

6 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Hm not sure about that. He’s in my top 5 hip hop artists but album is more difficult. There’s absolutely loads in the conversation (and I’m ignoring acts I don’t really like Lil Wayne and Drake):

Good Kid MAAD City

To Pimp a Butterfly

The Illmatic

Ready to Die

Life after Death

Mm.. Food

Madvillainy

The Chronic

Enter the Wu Tang

MM LP

College Drop Out

Late Registration

MBDTF

The Blue Print

The Score

Reasonable Doubt

The Infamous

Black Star

Black on Both Sides

Aquemini

Stankonia

Midnight Marauders

All Eyez on Me

Low End Theory wants a word 

• Like 1

Kendrick has always played with the idea he is a prophet. It's basically the narrative of damn. It's never without consciousness or fallibility. 

The cover seems to continue the themes of the pull between wickedness and weakness on the last album. Religion, family, ego and danger. It may be a continuation but its never gonna be a repeat, he is king of the album, all the songs link but somehow standalone. Guy is actually a genius 

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What gives me hope is this is (currently) one of three announced shows. No burnout. Plenty of scope to do something smart with it.

I just feel like this could be different.

All I want is a decent stage/ light show, with themes from the album and his live band up front eg. Pump a butterfly shows. 

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Low End Theory wants a word 

Got to agree with the OG post Midnight Marauders my favourite Tribe album.

I think Outkast have to best album run in Hip Hop with

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ATLians, Aquemini, Stankonia, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

But

Section 80, GKMC, TPAB, DAMN and potentially this next one wouldn’t be far behind. 

He’s one classic away from being in the GOAT category for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

He’s one classic away from being in the GOAT category for me.

I don't really think he needs another classic, biggie only has one. 2Pac only has one or two (me against the world is the best pac album!!!) and they're in the GOAT conversation. Good Kid and TPAB cemented his status for me, everything else is just a bonus. 

Wu Tang are icons with only one classic (if you don't include the solo stuff).

Lil Wayne is up there for his feature and mixtape run, and you can argue has no classic albums, just a very consistent run of classic verses. Guess it's more about impact than anything else really

I'm a bit nervous too, but he knows the world will be watching, as some of it is going to be broadcast. Clips will be shared etc...

So I think he'll give it 200% but can already see the Americans dissing the Glasto crowd.  (Just like how we diss their Coachella crowd 😜)

Cover is already a classic. Today is gonna be a long day, tomorrow can't come soon enough.

1 minute ago, Acid Loafers said:

I'm a bit nervous too, but he knows the world will be watching, as some of it is going to be broadcast. Clips will be shared etc...

So I think he'll give it 200% but can already see the Americans dissing the Glasto crowd.  (Just like how we diss their Coachella crowd 😜)

Cover is already a classic. Today is gonna be a long day, tomorrow can't come soon enough.

We had a good excuse last time. Album out for 48 hours lol. But hey, Future, Travis Scott and Schoolboy Q aint showing up to Pilton. And the world cant watch a broadcast thats geo locked. So a country gets to watch and thats it.

11 minutes ago, Haan said:

I don't really think he needs another classic, biggie only has one. 2Pac only has one or two (me against the world is the best pac album!!!) and they're in the GOAT conversation. Good Kid and TPAB cemented his status for me, everything else is just a bonus. 

Wu Tang are icons with only one classic (if you don't include the solo stuff).

Lil Wayne is up there for his feature and mixtape run, and you can argue has no classic albums, just a very consistent run of classic verses. Guess it's more about impact than anything else really

Good points. Suppose my top 5 is based on different things when I think about it, for every Biggie an incredible MC with one classic album (for me) there’s Jay Z or 3 Stacks with the longevity and an incredible back catalog. 

I think Kendrick has the back catalog, the skills, the hits, the deep cuts and will have the longevity to be considered amongst the GOAT’s if this album hits. 

It's so exciting because Kenny feels the most unknown to me.

Billie has been playing festivals and touring, Macca is gonna be the singalong of the weekend probably with some guests, but Kenny? Is he gonna turn up and go through the motions, is he gonna have a band, is it gonna be a Stormzy style spectacle that goes down in festival history? It's exciting. 

So I want to know (apologies if this has been discussed before) - opening track of his Glasto set, what are your thoughts? One from Mr Morale and The Big Steppers? Or from his previous albums? I want to know:

1. Your predicted opener

2. What track you'd most like to see open his set if you could choose

3. As a bonus, what track do you think would be a perfect closer?

7 minutes ago, JackDoesDrawing said:

So I want to know (apologies if this has been discussed before) - opening track of his Glasto set, what are your thoughts? One from Mr Morale and The Big Steppers? Or from his previous albums? I want to know:

1. Your predicted opener

1. Probably a new one

2. Wesley's Theory 

3. Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst 

5 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Kendrick's headline gig at Reading in 2018 was a disappointment. Kendrick's set subbing The Libertines in 2015 was incredible.

Just about to come in here and say this.

I was already a big fan, but the person I attended with knew nothing beforehand and was blown away come the end of the set. 

I could not believe how good it was & would have been happy to never see him play live again for fear of tainting that memory. But Glasto changes everything and you will see me down in the pit having the time of my life.

15 minutes ago, JackDoesDrawing said:

1. Your predicted opener

1. New song 100%

2. The Art of Peer Pressure

3. m.A.A.d city

37 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

1. A tone setter for the headline set. will be a new one for sure i reckon.

2. cartoons and cereal (never happening)

3. Freedom and he brings out beyonce. still dre and he brings out dre.

That would be absolutely huge. Bey obviously has history with the festival as well, maybe it could happen!