Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

Just now, Matt42 said:

Such a shame that people will write this/him off at the festival because it’s rap.

Eh, people have different tastes, and then some people are just dumbasses. Let them go watch Glass Animals headline John Peel or some shit - I’ll be watching the GOAT. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Such a shame that people will write this/him off at the festival because it’s rap. Missing out on artistry. 

I honestly feel like rap music in general doesn't translate too well live, especially lyrical artists like Kendrick. I can appreciate the artistry and talent but in terms of raw enjoyment I'd rather be somewhere else I think. Completely different if you're a huge fan of course.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Such a shame that people will write this/him off at the festival because it’s rap. Missing out on artistry. 

I get people have different tastes - it's just the whole 'this isn't REAL music, it's just aggressive gangster music' purely because there's not a live band with heavy guitars that gets me - thinking it's all gang violence and N words. Just seems a very close-minded POV, the man is THE genius in music right now, I don't know who tops him across any/all genres honestly. It's not just music it's art/poetry, the fact THP5 makes MORE sense WITH the music video only compounds that - can only imagine the show he'll put on at the pyramid.

You'd think attitudes would change after how well the Stormzy set went down, but some people just want Kasabian every year.

Anyway, this new song absolutely bangs. Cannot wait for Friday, or for this set.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Completely agree. We'll be watching greatness, talked about for years. I'm not a die-hard hip-hop fan, my preferences tend to come from the golden age but this is such a departure from the influx of modern 808 hi-hat mumble rap. I think you nailed the term perfectly, artistry. 

12 minutes ago, KPSandwiches said:

You'd think attitudes would change after how well the Stormzy set went down, but some people just want Kasabian every year.

Anyway, this new song absolutely bangs. Cannot wait for Friday, or for this set.

This is what I mean when I say Glastonbury should take the plunge and book who is culturally relevant. Bookings like Kendrick keep people excited for Glastonbury, and ensure that it stays at the top of the festival hierarchy. 

Kendrick dropping his most anticipated album yet and Glastonbury is one of three confirmed shows for 2022? It’s a slam dunk. Exactly the sort of bookings the festival should PRIORITISE going forward.

• Thanks 1

He has the industry in a chokehold. 

He really is just on another level than anybody else right now. Like, there are other rappers who I like just as much (Freddie Gibbs, for example, and Kanye back in the day) but in terms of just crafting the full package, Kenny is king. It’s been a long wait, but this new album should be really special, and getting to listen to it and then a month later getting to see him do it live whilst I’m still buzzing off it is gonna be so good. 

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He really is just on another level than anybody else right now. Like, there are other rappers who I like just as much (Freddie Gibbs, for example, and Kanye back in the day) but in terms of just crafting the full package, Kenny is king. It’s been a long wait, but this new album should be really special, and getting to listen to it and then a month later getting to see him do it live whilst I’m still buzzing off it is gonna be so good. 

It’s the writing for impact which Kendrick really excels at. He always manages to challenge you and paint images in your mind which stick with you. 

I know rap is poetry but Kendrick really is a poet. A proper one.

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s the writing for impact which Kendrick really excels at. He always manages to challenge you and paint images in your mind which stick with you. 

I know rap is poetry but Kendrick really is a poet. A proper one.

The fact he has the best pen in the game and STILL has the music/production to back up the poetry is what makes him the best - no one else matches him. 

34 minutes ago, CJL9494 said:

I honestly feel like rap music in general doesn't translate too well live, especially lyrical artists like Kendrick. I can appreciate the artistry and talent but in terms of raw enjoyment I'd rather be somewhere else I think. Completely different if you're a huge fan of course.

So I guess Jay Z wasnt boring as hell in 2008 in your eyes. Kendrick is going to have a live band but obviously it has no bearing compared to the acts that just have a dj and thats how you write off rappers moreso because thats how you assume they all do it.  Maybe see what Tyler The Creator is doing with his live show to see that thete are artists who put a lot of work into what theyre doing. 

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is what I mean when I say Glastonbury should take the plunge and book who is culturally relevant. Bookings like Kendrick keep people excited for Glastonbury, and ensure that it stays at the top of the festival hierarchy. 

Kendrick dropping his most anticipated album yet and Glastonbury is one of three confirmed shows for 2022? It’s a slam dunk. Exactly the sort of bookings the festival should PRIORITISE going forward.

Couldn't agree more. I think the headliner line-up this year is perfect actually (and I don't care a jot about PM or Billie).

Get the impression Kendrick understands the prestige too, so expecting something really great.

19 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So I guess Jay Z wasnt boring as hell in 2008 in your eyes. Kendrick is going to have a live band but obviously it has no bearing compared to the acts that just have a dj and thats how you write off rappers moreso because thats how you assume they all do it.  Maybe see what Tyler The Creator is doing with his live show to see that thete are artists who put a lot of work into what theyre doing. 

I saw Kendrick in Sziget and it was a pretty poor performance tbh. I think some of that wasn't down to him (the sound was pretty bad for some reason) but when he was rapping he was missing out like every other word, and it just killed the vibe for me. Thats what I mean when I say its more lyrical rappers which struggle to convey live.

You're right its better when there is a live band. I'm not arguing the production is bad or anything its more the enjoyment of it all.