Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Can imagine a lot of his new one will be ultra political with the wealth of stuff he has to take aim at in America right now. Definitely my most anticipated upcoming album - with Kanye seemingly having his glory days behind him Kendrick is the last major hip hop artist who is making such grand artistic statements and albums that become events. I’m sure this will be no different.

Pshhhh.

You acting like RTJ4 isn't album of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

Pshhhh.

You acting like RTJ4 isn't album of the year. 

I love RTJ but their albums don’t fall quite in to the epic grand artistic statement scale that a lot of other big rap artists do - they’re mostly relatively short, concise, and filled with bangers. Kind of a different beast.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I love RTJ but their albums don’t fall quite in to the epic grand artistic statement scale that a lot of other big rap artists do - they’re mostly relatively short, concise, and filled with bangers. Kind of a different beast.

In general yeah, but I think RTJ4 is more artistically ambitious and in terms of making a statement it really feels like the BLM 2020 album. 

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Can imagine a lot of his new one will be ultra political with the wealth of stuff he has to take aim at in America right now.

I don’t feel the idea that Kendrick has to go BLM Super Saiyan because of the events this year.

He’s already lived with systemic racism and wrote powerful songs and even the unofficial BLM anthem about it. White America finding out about it in a bigger way shouldn’t dictate where he sources his inspiration. His themes are usually pretty personal and he’s become a father since the last album so I’m expecting something more introspective again.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t feel the idea that Kendrick has to go BLM Super Saiyan because of the events this year.

He’s already lived with systemic racism and wrote powerful songs and even the unofficial BLM anthem about it. White America finding out about it in a bigger way shouldn’t dictate where he sources his inspiration. His themes are usually pretty personal and he’s become a father since the last album so I’m expecting something more introspective again.

Well if the rumours are true that he’s scrapped a bunch of material and started over are true I’d wager that the events of this year had something to do with that. I don’t think it’s gonna be a front to back ‘2020 sucked’ album, but I think politics are gonna take a front seat and when goes he’s gonna go hard.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well if the rumours are true that he’s scrapped a bunch of material and started over are true I’d wager that the events of this year had something to do with that. I don’t think it’s gonna be a front to back ‘2020 sucked’ album, but I think politics are gonna take a front seat and when goes he’s gonna go hard.

I think studio rumours have to be taken with a pinch of salt. I mean, he’s reportedly scrapped more albums than most artists will ever make - including collabs with all sorts of names. Moreover, I just can’t see him being the type of artist to decide to go and make The Blacker the Berry 2; he’ll do what he’s been focused on.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Supposedly in line for Lolla Chicago August 2022.

Lolla 2021 you mean. they still havent cancelled or moved their dates yet and people think that he will release the new album right before Lolla and go from there. If that happens then kiss him goodbye from Glasto cause he wont be playing brand new music for possibly the first time which seemed to be the original plan.

Edited by Suprefan

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Lolla 2021 you mean. they still havent cancelled or moved their dates yet and people think that he will release the new album right before Lolla and go from there. If that happens then kiss him goodbye from Glasto cause he wont be playing brand new music for possibly the first time which seemed to be the original plan.

But he’ll still want to promote and tour the album and presumably be playing festivals next year too, so I don’t see why that would count him out of Glastonbury. Don’t think I ever heard anything about Glastonbury needing to be right at the start of the album promotion or anything. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But he’ll still want to promote and tour the album and presumably be playing festivals next year too, so I don’t see why that would count him out of Glastonbury. Don’t think I ever heard anything about Glastonbury needing to be right at the start of the album promotion or anything. 

He's still booked to play Roskilde before Lollapalooza this year as well, though I think the rest of his Europe dates are cancelled and I expect Roskilde will eventually follow. It's admirable Roskilde is still trying... 

• 2 weeks later...

Kendrick will most likely promote his album via that cryptic pgLang thing he posted about a while back, and it'll probably come out after the Baby Keem album. Glad Isaiah Rashad is finally dropping tho! There was a Fader piece where he revealed he ended up in rehab after the last album, glad he seems to be doing better now. 

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Jeff Weiss is unparalleled at getting scoops like that.

Yes! If anyone hasn't read his incredible Drakeo The Ruler piece, I highly recommend it. Holding abusive power to account, what real journalism is all about https://www.thefader.com/2019/07/11/drakeo-the-ruler-murder-trial-los-angeles-report 

Edited by Haan