Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

7 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Not big enough in the UK, rather than globally imo.

Dubious about this as well tbh. For comparison PM has 8 UK top 10s. KL has 4.

I also don't think he will headline though. Just think popularity sometimes gets massively skewed on here. 

He's big, but he is not Glastonbury headliner big. Albums aren't critically acclaimed, could never do 3 or 4 nights in a row at the o2, couldn't play Wembley Stadium, etc etc. He has a lot of streams but definitely doesn't have enough of a cultural impact to make that step. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The moaners on twitter will go mad entirely when kenny gets announced if Swift caused such a stir

I reckon Kendrick has much more reputation in the alternative industry than Taylor. He is an awesome underground artist. The impact in the festivals confirmed so far is pretty possible while Taylor got many complaints.

18 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I reckon Kendrick has much more reputation in the alternative industry than Taylor.

As best I can tell, the complaints aren't coming from the alternative industry. They're coming from the types who are still upset that Oasis split up and aren't headlining.

24 minutes ago, incident said:

As best I can tell, the complaints aren't coming from the alternative industry. They're coming from the types who are still upset that Oasis split up and aren't headlining.

There will be complaints about any possible headliner:

Macca/Reg/F.Mac/Madge - Too old

Taylor/Gaga/Beyoncé/Adele - Pop shite

Kendrick/Stormzy/Drake - Rap shite (plus some more unsavoury views I fear)

Oasis/Blur/Stone Roses/Arctic Monkeys - Gammon shite for dark fruits laads

1975/Foals/Lipa/Cave - Not big enough, my mum has never heard of them

Coldplay - Again!?!??!?

RHCP - Too shit (legitimate)

It's best not to get too invested in complaints, there will never be an act announced that someone can't find something to moan about.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There will be complaints about any possible headliner:

Macca/Reg/F.Mac/Madge - Too old

Taylor/Gaga/Beyoncé/Adele - Pop shite

Kendrick/Stormzy/Drake - Rap shite (plus some more unsavoury views I fear)

Oasis/Blur/Stone Roses/Arctic Monkeys - Gammon shite for dark fruits laads

1975/Foals/Lipa/Cave - Not big enough, my mum has never heard of them

Coldplay - Again!?!??!?

RHCP - Too shit (legitimate)

It's best not to get too invested in complaints, there will never be an act announced that someone can't find something to moan about.

Biffy Clyro would go down great in Glasto Chat...

@Hugh Jass excellent post mate but you missed one important thing.

Someone like Oasis, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc reunion you’d get complaints that they are ‘past it and phoning it in for a bit of cash — not as good as they used to be!’

Twitter and Social media has given a voice to those who would complain about anything. They’l complain if they were short of money, and if they were given 1m they would then complain that its too much and they don’t know what to do with it.

Criticism and complaints on twitter has just become the norm anyway. Anything that is announced, scroll down and you will see a wall of complaints. Complaints usually are at the top of the algorithm.

The ordinary glasto goer (like my group) who don’t really engage in glasto related social media, they look at the announcement think ‘cool’ and probably add a few McCartney or Swift tunes to their playlist and go on with their day.

12 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Biffy Clyro would go down great in Glasto Chat...

Glasto Chat aren’t happy with any booking which isn’t Biffy Clyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snow Patrol or Green Day. They are probably the most entry level / vanilla portion of the glasto crowd that you could possibly find. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@Hugh Jass excellent post mate but you missed one important thing.

Someone like Oasis, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc reunion you’d get complaints that they are ‘past it and phoning it in for a bit of cash — not as good as they used to be!’

Twitter and Social media has given a voice to those who would complain about anything. They’l complain if they were short of money, and if they were given 1m they would then complain that its too much and they don’t know what to do with it.

Criticism and complaints on twitter has just become the norm anyway. Anything that is announced, scroll down and you will see a wall of complaints. Complaints usually are at the top of the algorithm.

The ordinary glasto goer (like my group) who don’t really engage in glasto related social media, they look at the announcement think ‘cool’ and probably add a few McCartney or Swift tunes to their playlist and go on with their day.

Glasto Chat aren’t happy with any booking which isn’t Biffy Clyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snow Patrol or Green Day. They are probably the most entry level / vanilla portion of the glasto crowd that you could possibly find. 

Sorry to interrupt, but there is nothing more entry level than Taylor Swift and here in the forum was celebrated like crazy. Even the fans where looking like crazy when confirmed what was Glastonbury. It says a lot ?

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

In terms of general population/Glastonbury goers? Foo Fighters, probably.

Going back further than that (christ, it's almost been a decade!), I'd say Stevie Wonder as well. You don't get many artists more universally beloved than Stevie. 

Edited by Zacko