Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

46 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

How does Kendrick compare, for you, to the previous 'generation' of rappers? 

I ask as I'm still undecided on him but i enjoy listening to rap. 

If i was to put to you my favourite artists where does Kendrick stand against them?

So my top 3 are...

Redman

Biggie

Method man.

Is it difficult to compare as they're in different eras? 

He's in the GOAT discussion as far as rappers go imo. His lyrical ability stands up to anyone I could name and his depth of flow and delivery are top bracket. 

In TPAB and GKMC he's released 2 of the great albums (across all genres) in this decade. TPAB in particular is one of the most transcendent records I've ever heard. 

There are arguments to be made that previous hip hop headliners were slightly past their peak when headlining, but Glastonbury have (likely) got the most critically acclaimed artist of his generation, at the peak of his powers on the pyramid at the 50th anniversary.

Huge booking, and much deserved crowning moment for Kenny. 

I'm not gonna lie, my enjoyment of rap is as basic white guy as you could expect. He's probably joined my top 3 though (I can't work out if he's knocked Big L, DOOM or ODB out though... I did warn you...)

TPAB is a masterpiece to me though and every reason to think GKMC is better holds up but for me that's album of the century thus far.

This is all conversational though, over the last couple of decades Hip-Hop has grown into such a deep genre that choosing a GOAT feels almost silly. Maybe further back than that, despite having the world of music at my fingertips I'm still really a big ol' dirty mosher.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:28 PM, Slugworth said:

I ask as I'm still undecided on him but i enjoy listening to rap. 

If i was to put to you my favourite artists where does Kendrick stand against them?

So my top 3 are...

Redman

Biggie

Method man.

Is it difficult to compare as they're in different eras? 

Very favourably.

His content is far more important than anything Biggie ever did, whilst being a lyrical equal.

Being a pedant, I'd put those 3 a bit further back than the previous gen. I'd put the previous generation as your 50 Cent's, Kanye's, Lil Wayne's, TI's etc. Of that era he smashes them all out the park.

I'd put him in the godly category with Pac, Big, Andre 3k, Eminem, GZA, DMX, Black Thought, Scarface, Big L, Jadakiss, Rakim etc.

It can be difficult to compare era's but if you break it down to lyrical ability, flow and content you get the best rappers.

21 minutes ago, MoveDirect said:

Very favourably.

His content is far more important than anything Biggie ever did, whilst being a lyrical equal.

Being a pedant, I'd put those 3 a bit further back than the previous gen. I'd put the previous generation as your 50 Cent's, Kanye's, Lil Wayne's, TI's etc. Of that era he smashes them all out the park.

I'd put him in the godly category with Pac, Big, Andre 3k, Eminem, GZA, DMX, Black Thought, Scarface, Big L, Jadakiss, Rakim etc.

It can be difficult to compare era's but if you break it down to lyrical ability, flow and content you get the best rappers.

Interesting. Thank you for your view. 

Obviously our favourites are subjective and personal for whatever reason. Maybe my age was showing with my 'generation' comment. 

Maybe I'm too late to the party but i hold the likes of DMX, Eminem way higher. 

Again, just my personal opinion 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Interesting. Thank you for your view. 

Obviously our favourites are subjective and personal for whatever reason. Maybe my age was showing with my 'generation' comment. 

Maybe I'm too late to the party but i hold the likes of DMX, Eminem way higher. 

Again, just my personal opinion 

With GZA, Em is the best technical rapper on the list. He is one of Kendrick's favourites, labelmate and inspiration. Em also loves Kendrick and rates him as the best of the new crop.

Em's latest output tends to lose him kudos, but he has more than enough in the bank for me.

It's pretty much universally accepted that of the current crop Kendrick and J.Cole are levels above the rest. They also write all their own rhymes, which is important (Sorry Drake, for that you are out.)

3 minutes ago, MoveDirect said:

With GZA, Em is the best technical rapper on the list. He is one of Kendrick's favourites, labelmate and inspiration. Em also loves Kendrick and rates him as the best of the new crop.

Em's latest output tends to lose him kudos, but he has more than enough in the bank for me.

It's pretty much universally accepted that of the current crop Kendrick and J.Cole are levels above the rest. They also write all their own rhymes, which is important (Sorry Drake, for that you are out.)

I only know GZAs Wu Tang input which is phenomenal. Unless Eminem pulls his head out of his backside he will only be as good as his early material. 

I don't think i could name a J Cole track which is probably why I'm not in tuned to Kendrick 

3 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I only know GZAs Wu Tang input which is phenomenal. Unless Eminem pulls his head out of his backside he will only be as good as his early material. 

I don't think i could name a J Cole track which is probably why I'm not in tuned to Kendrick 

Give the album 'Liquid Swords' a spin if you like Wu Tang.

IMO the best solo Wu Tang album. There's a reason the call him GZA the Genius.

A shame his crippling social anxiety and introvertedness means he doesn't do more.

Edited by MoveDirect

2 minutes ago, MoveDirect said:

Give the album 'Liquid Swords' a spin if you like Wu Tang.

IMO the best solo Wu Tang album. There's a reason the call him GZA the Genius.

A shame his crippling social anxiety and introvertedness means he doesn't do more.

I will do, love Wu Tang. I've only really listened to Methods, Tical 2000 and ODB Return 36 Chambers. Both are great. Touched on Raekwon OB4CL but didn't really feel it. 

13 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

got to see GZA at Gorilla in Manchester earlier this year, was amazing to be in such a tiny venue with such a legend. Eminem is well past his prime now and can't see him releasing anything that will compare to his previous albums, those last two were stinkers.. J. Cole and Kendrick are personally two of my favourite current rappers, J. Coles 4 Your Eyez Only and 2014 Forest Hills Drive are both amazing albums but they're not on the same level as TPAB and GKMC by Kendrick, would highly recommend giving them a listen

14 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I will do, love Wu Tang. I've only really listened to Methods, Tical 2000 and ODB Return 36 Chambers. Both are great. Touched on Raekwon OB4CL but didn't really feel it. 

You owe it to yourself to check out Ghostface's solo stuff too. Especially Supreme Clientele, Ironman and Fishscale. All three are classics. 

12 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

got to see GZA at Gorilla in Manchester earlier this year, was amazing to be in such a tiny venue with such a legend. Eminem is well past his prime now and can't see him releasing anything that will compare to his previous albums, those last two were stinkers.. J. Cole and Kendrick are personally two of my favourite current rappers, J. Coles 4 Your Eyez Only and 2014 Forest Hills Drive are both amazing albums but they're not on the same level as TPAB and GKMC by Kendrick, would highly recommend giving them a listen

Nice you got to see GZA, i went to Redman/Method at Brixton academy last year. Had to tick that off the list. Enjoyed it. Blackout is one of my favourites 

I went to MK bowl to see Eminems Anger Management tour. What a day. Had Xzibit and Cypress Hill supporting.

I've listened to GKMC and enjoyed it. If I'm honest i put on TPAB when i was busy so haven't really given it time. Will have to give it a proper go

Kendrick for me is a really really talented rapper, he focuses mainly on the struggles of being a young black man in America and turns his tales in to songs that the rest of the world can enjoy but also learn about what it’s like being a young black man in America. The production is second to none and I believe he’s the only contemporary musician to win the Pulitzer Prize for music. 

Puts on an excellent show and I think is 2 really good albums away from becoming the greatest rapper of all time. When you look at rappers and hip hop producers the majority all have 1 or 2 really strong albums and then a lot of filler stuff. Kendrick has (for me) 2 blockbuster albums in Good Kidd Madd City and DAMN. and another really smartly made album in To Pimp A Butterfly. I think if he makes another intellectual album on the same scale as To Pimp A Butterfly and another blockbuster album I can only think people will speak of him as the greatest of all time.

In regards to rappers of years gone by, people have mentioned Wu-Tang Clan, 36 Chambers is undoubtedly one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever made. But some of their solo stuff is just as good, GZA’s Liquid Swords, Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx and Ghostface Killah’s Ironman are all albums that stand alone as absolute classic hip-hop albums. 

Special Mentions:

Nas - Illmatic 

J Dilla - Donuts 

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

Dr Dre - 2001

Biggie - Ready To Die

De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising 

5 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Kendrick for me is a really really talented rapper, he focuses mainly on the struggles of being a young black man in America and turns his tales in to songs that the rest of the world can enjoy but also learn about what it’s like being a young black man in America. The production is second to none and I believe he’s the only contemporary musician to win the Pulitzer Prize for music. 

Puts on an excellent show and I think is 2 really good albums away from becoming the greatest rapper of all time. When you look at rappers and hip hop producers the majority all have 1 or 2 really strong albums and then a lot of filler stuff. Kendrick has (for me) 2 blockbuster albums in Good Kidd Madd City and DAMN. and another really smartly made album in To Pimp A Butterfly. I think if he makes another intellectual album on the same scale as To Pimp A Butterfly and another blockbuster album I can only think people will speak of him as the greatest of all time.

In regards to rappers of years gone by, people have mentioned Wu-Tang Clan, 36 Chambers is undoubtedly one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever made. But some of their solo stuff is just as good, GZA’s Liquid Swords, Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx and Ghostface Killah’s Ironman are all albums that stand alone as absolute classic hip-hop albums. 

Special Mentions:

Nas - Illmatic 

J Dilla - Donuts 

Dr Dre - 2001

Biggie - Ready To Die

These!!

For me Wu tang 36 chambers is the best rap album I've heard.

50's Get rich or die tryin made a massive impact for a debut mainstream album.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, Slugworth said:

Favourably. If I had to pick a top 3 it would be Black Thought, Biggie and MF DOOM, but K-Dot brings a dexterity and fusion of different influences that those three don’t.

Biggie brought the realness, DOOM brought the out-there rhyming schemes and Thought just brings the raw skills. 

Kendrick brings all three. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Biggie brought the realness, DOOM brought the out-there rhyming schemes and Thought just brings the raw skills. 

I never 'got' Biggie, and can find MF DOOM a bit contrived  - I get that it's objectively good, but the 'cleverness' of it leaves me a bit cold. Agree about BT - he is deeply under-appreciated, outside of the scene, as a master of his craft - I'd also put Jean Grae in that category, especially as she write and produces the music as well*.

Kenny's up there with pretty much anyone who came up in the from the last 15-ish years, and definitely releasing some of the best new hiphop about.

* Honourable mentions, just in case anyone is looking for something to listen to - Mos Def, for flow; Killer Mike - his pre-RTJ stuff also goes hard, listen to R.A.P. music; J Dilla, because hiphop would not exist as it does today without him.

18 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Special Mentions:

Nas - Illmatic 

J Dilla - Donuts 

Dr Dre - 2001

Biggie - Ready To Die

OutKast have a perfect discography. Every single thing they've done is certifiable classic.

2 hours ago, MoveDirect said:

OutKast have a perfect discography. Every single thing they've done is certifiable classic.

I personally don’t agree with that, Stankonia is ? Some of their other stuff just doesn’t float my boat though. Obviously what I said is only my opinion like, I fully understand people have different opinions and mine isn’t the true gospel of the lord.