Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

On 11/22/2019 at 10:17 PM, Matt42 said:

I really don’t think his reading set is the best thing to base it off.

I know people didn’t like Kanye but his Big Chill set was not reflective of his Glasto set.

I also think Reading and Leeds’s influence on music is dwindling. It’s not so much an achievement gig anymore.

Kendrick brought it out for Coachella, he will do it for Glastonbury. Too many of his contemporaries have done the festival for him to not understand it. Also, if Emily has been working on this for a long time, he’s probably been hit over the head by the point with how important the show is. He won’t be dropping a $4 million a show fee to baked beans without some mutual understanding.

edit: my point is, I think it’s a marginal thing to worry about when we know well how many hoops have to be jumped through to sign the Glastonbury dotted line. If he’s done it. He gets it.

And whether or not he treats us as special DAMN. will be over 3 years old so there's likely to be new material to through in the mix and I'm guessing a show in keeping with whatever style of presentation he has in mind for that new stuff.

I am a big Kendrick fan but feel he has a serious chance of not going down well on the Pyramid.

His music is far superior to Kanye but I don't think as Glastonbury-friendly as Kanye's hits (hence why the first 30-45 mins of Kanye was very good but the atmosphere died a death when he hit the not-so-known songs).

I think if you ask most punters they would struggle to name more than a few Kendrick songs. 

Will 100% be there but not sure he will live up to the quality of his albums.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’ve just listened to both TPAB and DAMN. at work today and I forgot how sick both those albums are.

i got I got I got I got I got - hype.

Best part of this is that even though I love DAMN it’s the worst of the 4 released from GKMC onwards for me...

6 hours ago, C14S said:

Best part of this is that even though I love DAMN it’s the worst of the 4 released from GKMC onwards for me...

DAMN is an album I was pretty hyped about upon release and thought it was brilliant. Now, a couple of years later, it doesn’t do a whole lot for me.

Seems from Kendrick and hip hop discussions I’ve read elsewhere online that I’m not alone in that. And decade-end lists didn’t convey the same year-end love that it got.

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

DAMN is an album I was pretty hyped about upon release and thought it was brilliant. Now, a couple of years later, it doesn’t do a whole lot for me.

Seems from Kendrick and hip hop discussions I’ve read elsewhere online that I’m not alone in that. And decade-end lists didn’t convey the same year-end love that it got.

Totally agree. Humble and DNA bangers though. 

25 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I reckon Kendrick will be the next announcent? 

Hard to call. Both Taylor and Kendrick have dates announced so there is nothing putting one in front of the other in terms of likelihood.

One will be announced before Christmas. Who? Dunno just flip a coin at this point.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:48 PM, dentalplan said:

It certainly has its moments but suffers in comparison to one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time (GKMC) and it’s follow up that was a game changer in terms of style and content.

It’s still great, but not as great as the others.

Edited by Hugh Jass

On 11/25/2019 at 11:48 PM, dentalplan said:

I'm kinda the opposite, I thought it was so so upon release but I've warmed to it pretty dramatically over the years, it's certainly not as good as GKMC or TPAB but I prefer it to the rest definitely. I do appreciate I'm somewhat alone in that.

I dunno I just listened to damn again back to front and as a whole it stands up pretty well. It’s not as good as gkmc or tpab but then what is ?! 

I hope he goes the Grammy route with an almost movie like performance explaining the meanings behind his songs to those who may not be familiar.  

2 hours ago, GrooveCity said:

Duckworth
Fear
Pride
Element 

I agree this is Kendricks weakest, but his weakest is still fucking great

You forgot LUST. In fact fuck it, the whole album is brilliant, it’s obviously not as bad as people on here have made out, look at the accolades it received. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s still great, but not as great as the others.

21 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

It’s not as good as gkmc or tpab but then what is ?! 

2 hours ago, GrooveCity said:

I agree this is Kendricks weakest, but his weakest is still fucking great

I would disagree and say that the albums that preceded it have boosted the album’s esteem rather than made it look not-as-good in their shadow. But I don’t wanna keep getting down on it because we’re all here to enjoy our man.