Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

Saw him on the DAMN tour and it was one of the best shows I have ever been to - relentless energy, and just incredible from start to finish.

Saw him headline Reading 6 months later and felt like he was phoning it in a bit.   Much stronger when subbing The Libertines a couple of years earlier.

Think he could absolutely smash the Pyramid in the right mood and I will more than likely be there to witness it unless something really special is on somewhere else (and it is Glastonbury so that remains possible!)

Only thing that would pull me away is if the clash was like Twigs, Sufjan, or Lorde and I would definitely not get the chance to see them play one of their own shows. Because Kenny's doing BST, I'd reluctantly sack him off and head there instead, wouldn't be pleased about it though.

He fucking killed it when I saw him in 2017, and although the footage of his Reading show wasn't exactly a home run, he can definitely smash it when he wants to tho, and the occasion should call for it.

7 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Only thing that would pull me away is if the clash was like Twigs, Sufjan, or Lorde and I would definitely not get the chance to see them play one of their own shows. Because Kenny's doing BST, I'd reluctantly sack him off and head there instead, wouldn't be pleased about it though.

He fucking killed it when I saw him in 2017, and although the footage of his Reading show wasn't exactly a home run, he can definitely smash it when he wants to tho, and the occasion should call for it.

Sufjan would be my 'would not miss for anyone' even Macca. Kendrick is pretty high up there in terms of wanting to see but Macca and Swift both beat him out. 

Seen him twice...first time was in 2013 while I was sitting in-line waiting to see The National at Bonnaroo.  Didn't know his music then, but thought it was a great show.  Next time was in 2015 when he was "sort of" touring on TPAB.  That show was good, but was a bit of a let down because he didn't play hardly any TPAB (maybe 1 song?) despite it being out for months.

Its been a while since I've seen him, so I'd be really interested in seeing him again. Maybe if RATM somehow miraculously showed up on the bill (not expecting that), they would win out.  PSB would also be a tough conflict for me....purely because I've never seen them.  Someone like Aerosmith  would be a no brainer (would be at Kendrick).

In the end, probably about 75% chance that I would be at Kendrick.  Over the years/decades of seeing shows, I have rarely regretted going and seeing important artists......and Kendrick is a very important artist.

• Like 1

I really don’t think his reading set is the best thing to base it off.

I know people didn’t like Kanye but his Big Chill set was not reflective of his Glasto set.

I also think Reading and Leeds’s influence on music is dwindling. It’s not so much an achievement gig anymore.

Kendrick brought it out for Coachella, he will do it for Glastonbury. Too many of his contemporaries have done the festival for him to not understand it. Also, if Emily has been working on this for a long time, he’s probably been hit over the head by the point with how important the show is. He won’t be dropping a $4 million a show fee to baked beans without some mutual understanding.

edit: my point is, I think it’s a marginal thing to worry about when we know well how many hoops have to be jumped through to sign the Glastonbury dotted line. If he’s done it. He gets it.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

@eFestivals are you able to disclose the reason why he's now been upgraded to SR or is that all hush hush?

If we're not allowed to ask things like that I never will again ?

a few bits of info which put him as playing (another bit since I put him to SR as it happens). I can't vouch for the quality of those people's sources tho, which is why he's SR and not TBC.

19 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

There must be something wrong with me. I couldn't name one song or album. Jesus, I'm getting old. 

I’ve felt exactly the same way! In reality most people I ask haven’t heard of him. I’ve had a listen and Its not for me. I’m still not convinced that he’s a Pyramid headliner...but I’m probably wrong.