Bath & West - What’s it like?

jobleakley1

B&W has it's good and bad points, it all depends on what you want. Good is the easy access and quick getaway on Monday, (yes you can arrive Tues), proper toilets (and showers too I think but I didn't use them). Shuttle buses run every 15-20 mins and we didn't have a problem with queues, camping is very quiet, some might say too quiet, no atmosphere. The big downside for me was the time taken to get on site each time, at least an hour from leaving your van to getting through gate A, you then have the walk to wherever you're heading on site, even worse is the walk back to gate A each night to catch the bus back. If you're happy to spend a couple of hours each day "commuting" then it's fine. If I stayed there again I would use it as a base and camp on site at least from Thursday to Sunday, but that defeats the purpose of having a campervan I guess!

i'm not going to B&W, but just out of interest - are the shuttle buses 24hrs?

i guess they must be, but its just the comment above about "get back to gate a each night" which made me wonder?

also just chucking up a tiny tent somewhere in the festival sounds like a good idea for when you just need to crash out for a bit.

37 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

What time do the buses start on the Wednesday, and how busy are they at the start?  One of the disadvantages of Campervan East is the huge lines at opening time, with entry taking hours first thing.  I'm curious as to how Bath & West compares.

That’s true, but surely the beauty of the CV fields is you don’t have to queue, there’s no real urgency to be in first thing on the Wednesday, apart from strolling around the site there’s not much on, and my experience is you can get in Gate C with minimal queuing from around 11am.

1 hour ago, EasyUserName said:

What time do the buses start on the Wednesday, and how busy are they at the start?  One of the disadvantages of Campervan East is the huge lines at opening time, with entry taking hours first thing.  I'm curious as to how Bath & West compares.

Buses start well before gates open B&W is also the drop off point, so there's plenty of people arriving there with kit.

Remember that you're going in via Gate A - along with everyone who came by public transport and a large number from the car parks. So there's always potential for queues, especially on the Wednesday morning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i'm not going to B&W, but just out of interest - are the shuttle buses 24hrs?

i guess they must be, but its just the comment above about "get back to gate a each night" which made me wonder?

also just chucking up a tiny tent somewhere in the festival sounds like a good idea for when you just need to crash out for a bit.

Yeah putting up a crash tent on site sounds like a good idea until you think about if everyone did it there’d be no room for people actually camping and how many would get left behind on the Monday.

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

its something like this .....

aeriel pic 1.jpg

My Dad used to take me to the Bath and West show back in the '70s. Little I knew of the history of the grounds adjacent at the time. My first ride on a ferris wheel was there and had my 15 mins fame saying hi to Bruce Hockin of HTV West...

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

My Dad used to take me to the Bath and West show back in the '70s. Little I knew of the history of the grounds adjacent at the time. My first ride on a ferris wheel was there and had my 15 mins fame saying hi to Bruce Hockin of HTV West...

I think I went once ... put me off for life :)