Pilton Hill Camping

Ali62

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

Hi newbies here!

Has anyone had any experience of camping (campervan) at Pilton Hill Camping for Glastonbury week? It says 2 miles away, is that 2 miles hard going? Thinking of taking push bikes to get back and fore!

Thanks

Pushbikes /Alcohol /Alcohol / Pushbikes ?

Well if you are up for riding 2 miles BEFORE you even start walking around the actual festival then good luck.. I've known people walk upwards of 15 miles a day and they are camped inside the festival.. Its a big old site and as a newbie you'll want to see alot off the place.. Just bare this in mind.. 

1 minute ago, guypjfreak said:

Well if you are up for riding 2 miles BEFORE you even start walking around the actual festival then good luck.. I've known people walk upwards of 15 miles a day and they are camped inside the festival.. Its a big old site and as a newbie you'll want to see alot off the place.. Just bare this in mind.. 

i  walk 15 miles a day.

12 going forward and 3 staggering backwards

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi newbies here!

Has anyone had any experience of camping (campervan) at Pilton Hill Camping for Glastonbury week? It says 2 miles away, is that 2 miles hard going? Thinking of taking push bikes to get back and fore!

Thanks

the lockups are quite happy to store bikes and its also possible to cycle around in quieter areas of the site so you could probably get quite central before abandoning them ... but as stated take lights ... high vis and just be careful about consumption :) 

14 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi newbies here!

Thanks

Personally I would never stop off-site as by experience I know so so much would be lost. Glasto is a 24hr a day, 5 day experience with so much taking place after dark and into the night. Then there's the atmos, be it discovering a band at 3am or sitting on the hillside in the dark chatting with new found friends.

As for Pilton Hill Camping. 2 miles may seem a short distance but in the dark and after a day walking around the fest, they will seem a lot longer. And as the name suggests, there's probably a hill in there somewhere. You will also need to factor in the time taken to walk to the entry/exit gate, which could be ca. 30 minutes if you end the evening in the SE corner.

Edited by Lycra

Also bear in mind that anywhere off the main road is dark, twisty, single track lanes with high banks and hedges, and busier because of the festival.  Dangerous, especially in the dark when someone is booting along not expecting to see a bike round the next corner.  I wouldn't fancy it personally.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to be camping there this year. 
I think it has more advantages. Can have your car next to tent, more space (bringing bigger tent than I would if on site), don't have to carry anything, showers, decent toilets, more sleep, less worry about thieves.

They also have a shuttle bus going to the festival site (gate a). Can get a taxi back at night if needed. 

I'm looking forward to it. 

9 hours ago, Deacon said:

I think it has more advantages. Can have your car next to tent, more space (bringing bigger tent than I would if on site), don't have to carry anything, showers, decent toilets, more sleep, less worry about thieves.

They also have a shuttle bus going to the festival site (gate a). Can get a taxi back at night if needed. 

Have you done it before?  How quickly can you get a taxi late at night?  I've heard that at some times, the taxi shortage can be desperate.

I'm curious, as I can imagine there are a lot of people staying "off-site" who might need a taxi, and I've only ever used them to arrive on Friday (children from school) and have heard some horror stories from the drivers about the late-night rush.

12 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

I've heard that at some times, the taxi shortage can be desperate.

I've not got first hand experience of the situation at Glastonbury, but I can speak with confidence about Bestival 2017, at Lulworth Castle.

I was working there, and one of the shifts was overnight at the Taxi rank - queues were about about 3 hours for anyone who arrived between about midnight and 2am that hadn't pre-booked a taxi (at an extra cost).

The basic problem is that under UK law (I assume it's not changed since), only Taxis licensed in the local authority area are allowed to collect "on spec", and anyone from outside the area can only collect passengers if it's pre-booked. So to try and avoid the queue, people were ringing Weymouth or wherever to find a taxi company willing to send one, and then finding they have to pay a 40 quid "out of area" fee (which they did often did).

This was at a festival approximately a sixth of the size of Glastonbury, and with probably only about 50-80 people passing through in the space of about 6 hours, so I can't imagine the situation would be much better at Glastonbury. Uber wasn't a thing at the time and so will make a difference (as Uber counts at pre-booking), but there's still going to be the basic problem of too many passengers and not enough drivers.

The whole experience made me absolutely certain that anyone trying to get a Taxi at a festival, especially at peak times, is mental.

10 hours ago, Deacon said:

Not done it before. I’m sure will be plenty. If not I’m not too worried bout the walk. Prob will even be drunk enough to try hitching from cars going past. Heh

I run those roads and they are not the best to be walking down at night, narrow with lots of trees and dark bits that could make you the bonnet mascot on a car if not careful . The walk back is uphill, gently but all up hill.

good luck with a taxi

11 hours ago, Deacon said:

Not done it before. I’m sure will be plenty. If not I’m not too worried bout the walk. Prob will even be drunk enough to try hitching from cars going past. Heh

Usually quite a wait for taxis after the headliners end. Demand far exceeds supply. May be better to book ahead if you can. The walk however would be very sobering as it's long and dark.

Edited by Lycra

On 12/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, Deacon said:

you will find lots of information on these forums very useful ... its provided by a lot of people who have an incredible knowledge of the festival and surrounding areas ... with some very useful answers (possibly unlike elsewhere ) ... from those you can make a decision based on some decent facts ... good luck enjoy the festival whatever choice you make its awesome :)