Pre erected camping

guypjfreak

4 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

@guypjfreak @circus92 how much per-person-per-night do you think is too much?

£25-40 just doesn’t seem unreasonable. Especially when we know other sites further away are charging over 5 times these levels for a similar experience.

I agree, but it all depends on the circumstances - I would say those numbers you quoted are not that bad at all, but that is in the context of friends splitting the cost between each other.

In my situation were I am paying for tickets, accommodation and travel from Belfast for 4 people, there is no way I could justify paying £700-£800 for what is essentially a pre-pitched tent with no bedding.  I reckon my Campervan hire and the pitch will be around £1,000 and that is far better value than a tent at £800.  As you can see I am probably not the best person to ask as this trip is actually going to cost us a shedload of money no matter what way we do it.  Hopefully it will be well worth it though ?

@circus92 that’s a fair point. I’m just so used to going with pals in similar circumstances I forgot about groups like families where the kids take up the space of an adult without earning their keep. Stupid lazy kids!

You’re paying the price of a decent holiday which is lucky because that’s exactly what it is!

11 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

No I meant for the glastonbury festival ticket not accommodation old son.. Just the ticket.. So this year's ticket is £270... Which is 20 odd more than my highest price I was going to pay but there you go lol

Ah I see. I always justify the price by thinking about separating the events and what’s reasonable. So let’s say 5x like to see acts @ £30, 3x love to see acts @ £60, and a few decent nights out to sweet the deal. Still represents good value...

But I used this logic when buying a ticket to the F1 and just felt ripped off the whole time (£350 a ticket for 1x qualifying, 1x race, 1x Mumford gig and 1x Pink gig).

I am also pants at saving because I justify different expenditures by breaking the elephant down into manageable chunks... it’s not a mortgage, it’s 15p a minute!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

@circus92 that’s a fair point. I’m just so used to going with pals in similar circumstances I forgot about groups like families where the kids take up the space of an adult without earning their keep. Stupid lazy kids!

You’re paying the price of a decent holiday which is lucky because that’s exactly what it is!

? You are spot on there - I think my wife is just now realising it is actually the price of a decent holiday.  But it’s going to be one of the best ever ?

I don’t have any issues here with pre erected camping.

ive done plenty of Glastonbury’s the “normal” way and now I’m a bit older and can afford it I stay in WV - works out around £150 extra but I treat the week like a regular summer holiday and as such save for it. And the car park being close means I can bring more food/drink so spend less on that during the festival. 

The price hike this year did surprise me a little so may reach a point if it continues as being too expensive. Feels like it’s close to the limit now...

Not for everyone but works well for me at the moment

35 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

No I meant for the glastonbury festival ticket not accommodation old son.. Just the ticket.. So this year's ticket is £270... Which is 20 odd more than my highest price I was going to pay but there you go lol

Bump so that above makes sense.. Vardyvarvar that's one mad way of costing it but I get it.. So your be OK buying glastonbury tickets at 350 

I've just seen that Mr E has said that this new glamping site has been done to reduce rubbish... No Mr E its not its to make more money.. Be honest.... 

Last years festival was the cleanest I've ever seen it ever.... But we did overhear people this year complain about the amount of rubbish that was around the BINS... Lol 

Edited by guypjfreak

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Bump so that above makes sense.. Vardyvarvar that's one mad way of costing it but I get it.. So your be OK buying glastonbury tickets at 350 

Without seeing the line up (but knowing it’ll be ace), I wouldn’t pay more than £400. But don’t hold me to it in 2040 haha

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

Without seeing the line up (but knowing it’ll be ace), I wouldn’t pay more than £400. But don’t hold me to it in 2040 haha

And would you still be in a pre erected tent, pod etc.. If so can you please pay for me lol and I'll just take an army sleeping bag 

I treat Glastonbury as mine and my missis big holiday of the year. I usually have two weeks off of work as I’m self employed so it’s costing me a fortune before I’ve even got there.

This year I’ve opted for pre erected camping to see if I can work the Monday and Tuesday before the festival and get back Thursday Friday after. If I make two of those days my pre erected camping is already paid for. Worth a try I think.

Everyones situation is different and everyone is will have to make different sacrifices during the year to do the festival the way they want. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

Only if you kiss me lovingly on the forehead each night and tell me I’m improving the demographic

I would but being a peasant from the fields below wv they wouldn't let me in your exclusive part of the festival old son... I could blow kisses tho lol.. Still think £400 is WAYYYYYYY to much even if you had elvis back from the dead playing lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

I've just seen that Mr E has said that this new glamping site has been done to reduce rubbish... No Mr E its not its to make more money.. Be honest.... 

Last years festival was the cleanest I've ever seen it ever.... But we did overhear people this year complain about the amount of rubbish that was around the BINS... Lol 

If it is to make money, that money isn't going into anyone's pocket - it'll go towards the running costs of the festival and anything left will be added to the charity donations. Why is this such a bad thing?

• Like 1

so, we ended up getting WV.

cons: i feel dirty, like i need a shower and i've crossed a line i can never come back from. is the next step hanging up the para boots and pulling on some hunters?

pros: its the furthest away from paul mccartney that its possible to get without actually leaving the site (sort of).

7 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

cons: i feel dirty, like i need a shower and i've crossed a line i can never come back from. is the next step hanging up the para boots and pulling on some hunters?

pros: its the furthest away from paul mccartney that its possible to get without actually leaving the site (sort of).

???

38 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

don't worry, once you get there, you'll realise that it's far from glamorous, and most people there have previously done general camping several times, and just wanted a little less hassle regarding carpark walk, access to showers, and mayhem of securing tent locations/space.

there's still people shivering in their hoodies at 9am with bog roll in their hands hoping that the person in front of them hasn't stank out the portaloo, or bleary-eyed trying to order from one of the food vans, which are your bog standard pizza etc (food inside the fence is FAR better), or with their tesco gas cooker outside their tent trying to boil some water in vain for a morning coffee, while wolfing down cereal bars and contemplating if it's too early to crack open a  can.

there is nothing fancy about WV.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

don't worry, once you get there, you'll realise that it's far from glamorous, and most people there have previously done general camping several times, and just wanted a little less hassle regarding carpark walk, access to showers, and mayhem of securing tent locations/space.

there's still people shivering in their hoodies at 9am with bog roll in their hands hoping that the person in front of them hasn't stank out the portaloo, or bleary-eyed trying to order from one of the food vans, which are your bog standard pizza etc (food inside the fence is FAR better), or with their tesco gas cooker outside their tent trying to boil some water in vain for a morning coffee, while wolfing down cereal bars and contemplating if it's too early to crack open a  can.

there is nothing fancy about WV.

LOL, that is so me with the hoodie choking on my first cigarette in the morning but ALWAYs with a can in my hand. Just please a bit dryer this time. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

Anyone have any idea how tents are assigned at WV? Does turning up at any particular time make any difference? Is it just a case of they are assigned in advance and you'll get whatever has been pre-assigned to you when you arrive? 

You get an email a few days before with your preassigned tent number.

Right so I think everyone has made their peace and shook hands. WV are now accepted as part of the festival by the uncooperative crusties. We should give Sticklinch a pass because they are new.

Is now a good time to reveal I didn’t get into either and will be investigating other offsite glamping opportunities?