Pre erected camping

guypjfreak

6 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Tbf everyone I have met that is staying in WV has been lovely. 

Have I considered WV/stichlich? Yes. Coming over from Canada it would definitely be an easier option. Going solo this year it would be nice not to lug a tent. 

Will I? No. Its fucking expensive for a very small amount of increased comfort, which really, with the increased walking distances, you lose throughout the festival arguably. 

Will I in the future? Probably. 

Will this change my behaviour in any way throughout the festival? Obviously. I've been wanting to take a shit in a crowd for so long and am happy to see an opportunity.

I agree people with an entitled luxury attitude towards the festival is a huge negative. But if those people got tickets, they're the same kinds of dickheads that would leave every single thing they owned on site for someone else to clean up, so it's probably better than they have another option. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post the only  reason we chose WV this year was the lack of queues getting in and the short walk to the car to replenish supplies. Hardly used their toilets and never used showers. The strummerville long drops on the way down are ace anyway! 

Age unfortunately has caught up with us, but, we really feel we missed out on some of the  vibe and atmosphere of the festival and somehow felt like day visitors. At this late stage we are still debating if we should book again this year or just go back to our fav camping spot. We miss the guy in the tractor waking us up in the morning shouting milky milky! 

This thread is mental. Judging someone for where they choose to spend their 5 days on the farm seems like the least Glastonbury thing ever. Pre-erected camping isn’t for everyone, fine. Neither is camping in with the masses. I’m firmly in the pre-erected camp (no pun intended) for a number of reasons.

There’s always a large group us, 12 people at the very least, arriving from all over the country, at different times. Having our tents already together means we don’t have to worry  about trying to save space in a normal campsite for later arrivals. There’s more space, which is nice. It’s quieter, which is vital for the likes of my other half, who sometimes struggles with mental health/anxiety issues and can sometimes needs a quieter space to bail out to. The shower facilities are a godsend as far as I’m concerned. I’ve done festivals without shower, there’s no achievement in being bogging. Really don’t get this bizarre pride some people seem to take in boasting they’ve not showered for 5 days. Freshening yourself up can really kick the hangover/comedown into touch, and with the weather this year it gave some much needed respite from constantly sweating and stinking. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

This thread is mental. Judging someone for where they choose to spend their 5 days on the farm seems like the least Glastonbury thing ever. Pre-erected camping isn’t for everyone, fine. Neither is camping in with the masses. I’m firmly in the pre-erected camp (no pun intended) for a number of reasons.

There’s always a large group us, 12 people at the very least, arriving from all over the country, at different times. Having our tents already together means we don’t have to worry  about trying to save space in a normal campsite for later arrivals. There’s more space, which is nice. It’s quieter, which is vital for the likes of my other half, who sometimes struggles with mental health/anxiety issues and can sometimes needs a quieter space to bail out to. The shower facilities are a godsend as far as I’m concerned. I’ve done festivals without shower, there’s no achievement in being bogging. Really don’t get this bizarre pride some people seem to take in boasting they’ve not showered for 5 days. Freshening yourself up can really kick the hangover/comedown into touch, and with the weather this year it gave some much needed respite from constantly sweating and stinking. 

Exactly this

Having just waded through 4 pages of this madness and finally a sensible post ? 

10 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Exactly this

I'm trying not to take this personally because it's obvious you've missed my post at the end of page 4.

You can go back, it's the one about not passing up the opportunity to shit in a field in front of strangers.  

• Upvote 1

My first was in 1995, and I can honestly say this year was my favourite. I must've been lucky, but I had/saw no problems, even on shift (Oxfam steward. Even the blaggers were nicer than usual) and just meet so many great people. 

Whereas my first year, I still remember 2 girls, dressed for a night on the town with their hair in curlers (something I've never seen since), openly pointing and laughing at me cos I looked like shit. I mean I did, but still, no need to laugh.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Exactly this

What? You didn't find my post sensible? How very dare you! 

As an aside, I have only read my post (in my head), and yours and the post that you quote. I can fully understand what Rubber Soldier is saying, and that there's nothing wrong with that perspective. I agree that Glastonbury means different things to different people. Some people can cope well with a perceived (by some others) sanitisation of the place, and they (the others) can't. Nobody is wrong on this one, but nobody is right either. It's all too fluid to be able to dictate.  Then again, I suppose Michael Eavis does have to dictate in some way, along with his daughter Emily. I guess it all boils down to your faith, and your devotion. Remember at all times;

Image result for michael eavis + our one true leader + photo

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

I personally am against this sort of thing. It does change the festival demographic regardless how much those who use glamping facilities protest. I've seen it change vibewise (and negatively so) for the past twenty years as it gets slowly gentrified. I don't dislike people who go for these options, I just don't think they should exist. I'm all for providing camping for those with genuine accessibility options, but it's not just a festival. It's Glastonbury, what makes it special is the inclusivity. I hear people who say they wouldn't go if there were no glamping options. That's cool. Go somewhere else then, there are other options. 

Presumably the inclusivity you like doesn’t include people who do things differently to you?

2 minutes ago, eyebrain said:

I’m really paying for it cause of toilets. Me and pooping is kind of an issue and flushing toilets at worthy view were brilliant. i have to poop many times a day and cause of my health it is a process of its own. Taking a dump in the green ones really is a nightmare.

Thanks for reading. 

There are times when I could shit for my country - and sometimes on demand too. So, I kind of know the need for a little bit of comfort in this area. However, I don't find the long drops to be a nightmare - apart from dealing with the problems that some people leave their condition in. Other than that, it's just like going camping (there it is again) when you were a kid, and you kind of get what it's to be like Ray Mears for a bit - or at least that's what goes through my mind when using them. Well, that and actually coming too, during a piss, and realising that you are staring at floaters. Not only that, but somebody has also thrown down the gauntlet at having a longer piss than you have. Then it's just 'Freak Out City', and could only be made worse if you were to quickly open the door to be faced by Ray Mears himself in person, who then winks at you, and nods to the inside chamber of the long drop, in an all knowing way. And then you just think to yourself that you 'Just knew it, just knew that he would be that way, but just didn't want to admit it to yourself'. 

I'll, um. Yes, I think I'll um for a bit. Yes, i can't see anyway else that that wouldn't be the best option to take right now.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

For all the older posters struggling with erection ... self inflator is the way to go ... rather than the expense ... quick pump and you are up and ready to go :) 

Bravo.

I've just got back from seeing Ben Elton.

Reading that was like I was still at the gig :) :) :).

So to summarise, everyone has different needs and preconceived ideas as to what their festival experience should be. WV sells out quickly as do the CV areas so their is obviously a demand for them and the most popular camping fields are rammed by Wednesday afternoon with folk queuing overnight to get into them . So a mix of pre erected and free camping is the logical solution.

Also, just because some folk have a preference as to how they feel most comfortable having a shite it doesn’t alter the demographic of the festival. If the queen herself was bursting to log off I am sure she would be grateful to hear the reassuring clanging of a long drop door. 

20 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So to summarise, everyone has different needs and preconceived ideas as to what their festival experience should be. WV sells out quickly as do the CV areas so their is obviously a demand for them and the most popular camping fields are rammed by Wednesday afternoon with folk queuing overnight to get into them . So a mix of pre erected and free camping is the logical solution.

Also, just because some folk have a preference as to how they feel most comfortable having a shite it doesn’t alter the demographic of the festival. If the queen herself was bursting to log off I am sure she would be grateful to hear the reassuring clanging of a long drop door. 

Imagine the door opening after you'd been waiting for an age and it was Diana Ross. 

37 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Bizarrely I am out of upvotes already for the day. But have a ?. Good post!

8 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I'm trying not to take this personally because it's obvious you've missed my post at the end of page 4.

You can go back, it's the one about not passing up the opportunity to shit in a field in front of strangers.  

Apologies - went back and can clearly see your post was sensible too ? 

I think I had just got to the end of reading a lot of silliness and @Rubber Soldier post just seemed to articulate very well why these options and choices are a good thing.  I can even remember way back at the start of the thread @Tommy Dickfingers giving a very good reply as well as to why WV is looking attractive for him this year - who can really argue with his rationale? 

At the end of the day everyone has different circumstances and needs and I think it is great that there are now options for everyone - that to me is more in keeping with the spirit of inclusiveness, rather than forcing everyone to do the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Apologies - went back and can clearly see your post was sensible too ? 

I think I had just got to the end of reading a lot of silliness and @Rubber Soldier post just seemed to articulate very well why these options and choices are a good thing.  I can even remember way back at the start of the thread @Tommy Dickfingers giving a very good reply as well as to why WV is looking attractive for him this year - who can really argue with his rationale? 

At the end of the day everyone has different circumstances and needs and I think it is great that there are now options for everyone - that to me is more in keeping with the spirit of inclusiveness, rather than forcing everyone to do the same thing. 

Inclusive is great, if you can afford it...

• Upvote 1