Pre erected camping

guypjfreak

I personally am against this sort of thing. It does change the festival demographic regardless how much those who use glamping facilities protest. I've seen it change vibewise (and negatively so) for the past twenty years as it gets slowly gentrified. I don't dislike people who go for these options, I just don't think they should exist. I'm all for providing camping for those with genuine accessibility options, but it's not just a festival. It's Glastonbury, what makes it special is the inclusivity. I hear people who say they wouldn't go if there were no glamping options. That's cool. Go somewhere else then, there are other options. 

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I think the intention is to move the numbers from West Campervan to bath and West Showground.

maybe, never stayed in bath & west so no idea how big a site it is? can it accommodate the numbers that were in west ? also thought of getting a shuttle bus in and out will put a few off I expect. 

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I personally am against this sort of thing. It does change the festival demographic regardless how much those who use WV etc protest. I've seen it change vibewise (and negatively so) for the past twenty years as it gets slowly gentrified. I don't dislike people who go for these options, I just don't think they should exist. I'm all for providing camping for those with genuine accessibility options, but it's not just a festival. It's Glastonbury, what makes it special is the inclusivity. I hear people who say they wouldn't go if there were no options like WV. That's cool. Go somewhere else then, there are other options. 

How significant of an impact can it have on a festival of 350k (?) people when it can’t make up more than say 5% people there. Not having any of this sorry.

22 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I personally am against this sort of thing. It does change the festival demographic regardless how much those who use WV etc protest. I've seen it change vibewise (and negatively so) for the past twenty years as it gets slowly gentrified. I don't dislike people who go for these options, I just don't think they should exist. I'm all for providing camping for those with genuine accessibility options, but it's not just a festival. It's Glastonbury, what makes it special is the inclusivity. I hear people who say they wouldn't go if there were no options like WV. That's cool. Go somewhere else then, there are other options. 

How about we keep the people who are now able to attend Glastonbury and enjoy it and contribute to the love for the festival thanks to options like WV, and we lose you and your narrow-minded negativity and inverted snobbery instead?

Deal?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The majority of our group comes from Glasgow/Edinburgh, the chances of us getting down any earlier than mid-afternoon are pretty much zero. Combine that with the difficulty of having camping equipment/finding space for 12+ people every year just makes normal camping an absolute nightmare. We've used pre-erected camping every year and will continue to do so. We're not a posh crowd by any means, it hurts the wallet every year to pay for WV/TF but ultimately its a price worth paying. Its unrealistic and overly simplistic to suggest that the majority that use pre-erected camping a) have loads of cash to burn b) don't like getting down and dirty. It's more complex than that. 

24 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

How significant of an impact can it have on a festival of 350k (?) people when it can’t make up more than say 5% people there. Not having any of this sorry.

204K including 7000 increase and 40000 crew. 

I think there’s 8000 at WV alone and judging from my gate night shift last year same again at love fields and winding lake 

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The majority of our group comes from Glasgow/Edinburgh, the chances of us getting down any earlier than mid-afternoon are pretty much zero. Combine that with the difficulty of having camping equipment/finding space for 12+ people every year just makes normal camping an absolute nightmare. We've used pre-erected camping every year and will continue to do so. We're not a posh crowd by any means, it hurts the wallet every year to pay for WV/TF but ultimately its a price worth paying. Its unrealistic and overly simplistic to suggest that the majority that use pre-erected camping a) have loads of cash to burn b) don't like getting down and dirty. It's more complex than that. 

I'd say a lot of people travelling from overseas will be in a similar situation.

You wouldn't need to worry about flying a tent over with you, or purchasing a tent, etc when you land.

38 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Two wildly contradictory statements right there.

47 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I must admit with this very, very last min changes I have absolutely no idea what I plan on doing now. This is pretty badly organised has to be said.

What are the facilities at each site?

What so the Yurts, Bellepada, Podpads and Scout tents look like, what are their dimensions?

How much is each kind of accommodation?

I’ve never done Worthy View before and I feel I’m going into it blind. It’s pretty annoying as a lot of my friends aren’t sure if they want to join us or not and I have absolutely fuck all solid information for them. They’re on sale tomorrow ffs.

Totally agree. Lack of information regards facilities is not on. More money, less time to decide on plans and less information. Poor show

53 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Your figures are both incorrect for the obvious reasons stated above and also irrelevant as it's not about the provision, it's the demand. People aren't willing to muck in and get on with things and hence are turning it into Proms in the Park. People washing wellies under taps, pissing in the streams because they can't be arsed to walk, putting tablecloths and chairs down and fuming if you enter their space. All part of the same, slowly worsening problem. 

Edited by Superscally

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

You figures are both incorrect for the obvious reasons stated above and also irrelevant as it's not about the provision, it's the demand. People aren't willing to muck in and get on with things and hence are turning it into Proms in the Park. People washing wellies under taps, pissing in the streams because they can't be arsed to walk, putting tablecloths and chairs down and fuming if you enter their space. All part of the same, slowly worsening problem. 

People were doing all of that long before WV was introduced.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Two wildly contradictory statements right there.

Nope not true at all. I'm not for stopping people who camp at WV through to Windinglake coming - if I was, you'd have a point, but I'm saying to them, get on with things the same as everyone else who is a paying punter and be happy about it. That way it's open to all. The current trend is reducing that ability. 

Just now, Superscally said:

Nope not true at all. I'm not for stopping people who camp at WV through to Windinglake coming - if I was, you'd have a point, but I'm saying to them, get on with things the same as everyone else who is a paying punter and be happy about it. That way it's open to all. The current trend is reducing that ability. 

Some absolutely colossal strawmanning and conjecture there. I've stayed in WV for a few years now and from I've seen the people in there are no different to those inside the fence.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

What so the Yurts, Bellepada, Podpads and Scout tents look like, what are their dimensions?

How much is each kind of accommodation?

I’ve never done Worthy View before and I feel I’m going into it blind. It’s pretty annoying as a lot of my friends aren’t sure if they want to join us or not and I have absolutely fuck all solid information for them. They’re on sale tomorrow ffs.

All information about the options and prices is here mate:

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/pre-erected-camping/worthy-view-pre-erected-camping/tent-types-and-prices/

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/pre-erected-camping/sticklinch/sticklinch-accommodation-options/

I always find it weird that campervans are excluded from these anti-comfort attitudes. Owning one of those seems like the height of luxury to me! Is it usually because the people who complain often seem to have them? You can't deny the prepitched option is greener than a campervan.

Honestly if people feel the demographic has changed for the worse they really don't have to go. You don't have to keep going just because you always did, but constantly complain about how it's not as good. Others will gladly have your ticket.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Some absolutely colossal strawmanning and conjecture there. I've stayed in WV for a few years now and from I've seen the people in there are no different to those inside the fence.

Totally agree. I've done Worthy View twice and there is nothing fancy or different. It's just convenient for parking and carrying stuff. I'm going back inside the fence this year either Tipi (fingers crossed) or camping but I find the occasional bit of hostility to WV baffling.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That's because you want it to be that way. I'm not saying punter X in WV is individually worse than the same on Pennards. You certainly wish that to be the case, as would everyone who. You're also misusing the strawman term as do 95% of people who use it. 

My argument was that the provision and drive to provide services like WV is part of a wider problem that means that Glastonbury is changing for the worse in terms of providing a more bucketlist experience to show off about whilst getting fucked up in many cases, rather than engaging with what the festival is about. 

As @Zoo Music Girl stated, yep I don't have to keep going and at one point in the future I maybe won't, but there is a point in raising things not being as good as they used to be otherwise it's an inexorable slide into mediocrity. At the moment, there is still enough there for me. In the last two festivals in particular I've seen fights, women shitting in crowds and people pissing on the outside of the urinals. I never used to see this kind of shit (on this scale) and I've been going for twenty years. You think it isn't changing for the worst? You think it's not worth highlighting? That sounds silly to me. I'll complain BECAUSE I care.

Anyone who has been at Bristol airport after the festival will know that the majority of wristbands you see there are worthy view ones. Only reason I never went for it when I travelled from Ireland is that I had pals who could set up a tent for me. Not everyone has that option and WV is a no brainer in that instance. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Superscally said:

People washing wellies under taps, pissing in the streams because they can't be arsed to walk, putting tablecloths and chairs down and fuming if you enter their space. All part of the same, slowly worsening problem. 

apart from chairs that all happened in the 80's and 90's as well.

8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

That's because you want it to be that way. I'm not saying punter X in WV is individually worse than the same on Pennards. You certainly wish that to be the case, as would everyone who. You're also misusing the strawman term as do 95% of people who use it. 

My argument was that the provision and drive to provide services like WV is part of a wider problem that means that Glastonbury is changing for the worse in terms of providing a more bucketlist experience to show off about whilst getting fucked up in many cases, rather than engaging with what the festival is about. 

As @Zoo Music Girl stated, yep I don't have to keep going and at one point in the future I maybe won't, but there is a point in raising things not being as good as they used to be otherwise it's an inexorable slide into mediocrity. At the moment, there is still enough there for me. In the last two festivals in particular I've seen fights, women shitting in crowds and people pissing on the outside of the urinals. I never used to see this kind of shit (on this scale) and I've been going for twenty years. You think it isn't changing for the worst? You think it's not worth highlighting? That sounds silly to me. I'll complain BECAUSE I care.

Then you've been walking around with your eyes closed.