Pre erected camping

guypjfreak

So that's another pre erected tent site for Glastonbury 

Sticklinch looks like it's going to be on the west side of the festival.. 

I'm not sure what people think but imo all these pop up fancy camping places changes the demographic of the festival.. Its a different audience nowadays.. People who have more money and haven't got that down and dirty with everyone else attitude.. 

£325.for the cheapest tent.. For 2 people.. Just crazy. I know it up to you what you can do but when you work out tickets,, fancy tents,, travel,, food and drink your talking ALOT of money and as we all know money is scarce nowadays.... Well for most.... I just wondering if glastonbury is now aiming for more prosperous punters... 

Does anyone know how many of these pre erected tents there are.. What percentage of camping is pre erected, tipi, pod, fancy camping.. Would be interesting to know.. There is also going to be pre erected tents for Glastonbury on sea.. Personally I feel like this is starting to change the festival for the worst but as I said this is just my opinion.. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/pre-erected-camping/sticklinch/sticklinch-accommodation-options/

Sticklinch-Site-Map-1110x528.png

Edited by guypjfreak

I have stayed in  Tipi before at a festival and it was lovely, but that was boomtown where it cost £450 for 6 of us in a massive tent

now the prices at Glastonbury are silly I just refuse to pay them. I would prefer to do pre erected and have some where to shower and so on, I refuse to pay the prices they charge just because it's Glastonbury it goes against everything I think the festival should stand for 

It's not for me, even if I don't work the festival.  Our group camp together, clean up our mess and take our tents home.  We have the same well loved tents that we've used for many festivals, including Glastonbury.

This kind of camping isn't new at Glastonbury though - Worthy View was off-site camping before GFL took it over and then you've got Windinglake, Love fields, Popup Hotel, Pennard Hill Farm and many others.

Yes, I guess that you could argue that it's changing the demographic of the festival but at the moment, its all off site and doesn't affect the actual festival*.  Some people look at Glastonbury as their holiday so if they want to spend the money in this way instead of having a week in Spain then I don't really mind.

Also, the more money that GFL makes out of these upcharge options,  the easier it will be to keep the admission ticket price down for all of the people with less cash to blow who are happy roughing it with the rest of us unwashed people!

* unsure about these Glastonbury on Sea ones - is this the first pre pitched on-site tents, aside from the tee-pees and the former Camplight?

• Upvote 1

Just now, uscore said:

Yeah I tried Worthy View and thought it was alright, but just can't justify the cost.  I'm quite happy in a tent inside the festival.  I'd be tempted by pre-erected tents or cabins if it wasn't so expensive.

i (not so much our group) was well up for WV this year just because we are getting there thursday on a coach package.

the prices make me sick (although the prices are obviously not a suprise) but the more i look at the photos of regimented tents miles and miles from anywhere the more of a depressing idea it seems.

then there's this new Stackridge thing - which is literally in the middle of nowhere - i went to one film at cineramawhatever last year (black & white Columbo film at 2am) and whilst i slept through the whole thing in a comfy car - the walk aferwards almost finished it for me - walking and walking and walking... forever... and getting nowhere...

the more i think about it the more i'm tempted to go old-skool and take fuck all but a bin bag, a six pack of special brew and see what happens.

If anything you could argue it keeps the demographic locked in a bit.  People who would otherwise be put off keeping going as they get older and camping becomes less physically viable have the option to get a bit more comfort and keep on going.

Truth is probably somewhere in between.

Ive never used one but tempted this year. As i get older, the thought of someone else putting my tent up, and putting it down, some private(ish) toilets and not having to queue to get a good spot appeal. Think the 6 people ones work out about £230 each, which is expensive, but as a once a year thing, I dont think it's too bad. Of course, I know that prices out lots of people, but it's not like you pay that or sleep in a toilet (some people still do, i guess). 

I'll be 42 next festival but i've no problem camping on site but my wife's coming this year and she wants to do the pre-erected tent thing, so having another site pop up works out well for us as there will be more chance getting tent.

I saw a few people getting their knickers in a twist at the removal of West CV and the possible extra difficulty in getting an East CV ticket on Facebook last night this morning though but if the festival thinks that more pre-erected tents and less campervans is greener then i've not got a problem with it.

Edited by Johnnyseven

don't really see it as expensive, it's 30 quid a night per person. I save and budget throughout the year with that in mind.

i find the attitude of people towards those that stay there, and of the likes of Worthy View, highly ignorant to be honest.

take the op - "People who have more money and haven't got that down and dirty with everyone else attitude.. "

how do you know they have "more money". As I said, it's 30 quid per person a night. I'd say a lot of people who can afford to rent campervans, or can manage to purchase theirs at all, probably have more money. I'm sure there are many people in general camping that have better jobs than me, or less outgoings, or whatever, that have more money.

It's highly ignorant to assume that people don't have "that down and dirty with everyone else attitude". I've done general camping at Glastonbury. I general camp at every other festival I go to, several a year. Who are you to say that I don't have a "down and dirty with everyone else" attitude?

At Glastonbury I now stay at WV because it's more convenient coming from abroad, and I like the quietness, relative space, ease of access to the car, and easier access to showers.

Is it changing the festival demographic? Hardly. The Glastonbury demographic is constantly changing. Festival demographics in general are constantly changing. Most people who stay in Worthy View would have general camped in the past, and would general camp if Worthy View didn't exist, because the festival itself is the attraction, not where you sleep.

It's hilarious that some people refer to Worthy View as "posh", clearly people who have never actually been there but have formed pre-conceived notions based on their own assumptions.

• Upvote 10

I do agree with your post but this made me laugh!

8 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Who are you to say that I don't have a "down and dirty with everyone else" attitude?

9 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

and I like the quietness, relative space, ease of access to the car, and easier access to showers.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i (not so much our group) was well up for WV this year just because we are getting there thursday on a coach package.

the more i think about it the more i'm tempted to go old-skool and take fuck all but a bin bag, a six pack of special brew and see what happens.

I can see why you'd want WV coming on the thursday.  Unless you've got a group coming early and setting up tents for you, the choices you have are a bit limited if you're in a big group come thursday.  

Agreed, in hindsight I wish I did it in 2010, '17 or '19 and just came with a small backpack with the essentials in (which I'd leave in the lockups) and just lose myself completely to the festival. 

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I can see why you'd want WV coming on the thursday.  Unless you've got a group coming early and setting up tents for you, the choices you have are a bit limited if you're in a big group come thursday.  

exactly - our usual spot is the middle of Big Ground.

absolutely no chance, at all, of getting in there.

One benefit of the new campsite is that it should help to ease congestion a little on the Wednesday and Thursday. From a planning and environmental  perspective, this idea makes sense.

As for it negatively changing the demographic? I think it's just different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Ragingbunion93
spellcheck

ok, admittedly i did not actually really read the OP, and just took the opportunity to jump in and have a moan ? 

does it change the demographic?

fuck knows.

the festival has changed so much, apart from the shape of the main stage pretty much everything has changed. 

for better? for worse? 

who knows, and who cares, and aside from ME no-one really has any right to make any such judgement.

and i am certainly not going to judge someone for their choice of where to stay.

58 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

don't really see it as expensive, it's 30 quid a night per person. I save and budget throughout the year with that in mind.

i find the attitude of people towards those that stay there, and of the likes of Worthy View, highly ignorant to be honest.

take the op - "People who have more money and haven't got that down and dirty with everyone else attitude.. "

how do you know they have "more money". As I said, it's 30 quid per person a night. I'd say a lot of people who can afford to rent campervans, or can manage to purchase theirs at all, probably have more money. I'm sure there are many people in general camping that have better jobs than me, or less outgoings, or whatever, that have more money.

It's highly ignorant to assume that people don't have "that down and dirty with everyone else attitude". I've done general camping at Glastonbury. I general camp at every other festival I go to, several a year. Who are you to say that I don't have a "down and dirty with everyone else" attitude?

At Glastonbury I now stay at WV because it's more convenient coming from abroad, and I like the quietness, relative space, ease of access to the car, and easier access to showers.

Is it changing the festival demographic? Hardly. The Glastonbury demographic is constantly changing. Festival demographics in general are constantly changing. Most people who stay in Worthy View would have general camped in the past, and would general camp if Worthy View didn't exist, because the festival itself is the attraction, not where you sleep.

It's hilarious that some people refer to Worthy View as "posh", clearly people who have never actually been there but have formed pre-conceived notions based on their own assumptions.

Me and my missis both have jobs and don’t have kids. We’re late 20’s and my body was fucked after Glastonbury last year, I work in construction so didn’t go back to work as soon as I would have liked because I wasn’t up to it. That cost me a lot of money so I’m planning on spending a bit on a spacious tent that’s erected for me so to make it as easy as possible and gets me back earning quicker after the festival. 

Hardly the actions of a posh person. 

• Upvote 1

Saddened to see that camper van west has disappeared for 2020 and probably forever, had a fab fab time there this year.  Obviously will be far less campervan tickets to go round next year which is disappointing but from a green perspective I can see why.  Wont be long before there are no campervan options as Glastonbury want your money rather than the campervan hire companies getting it. 

Talking of money, the pricing for the pre-erected tents are laughable, especially as you're outside the festival wall and a fair trek from anything apart from cinemageddon 

Edited by TheGoodWillOut

Not for me, though I thoroughly understand why a whole load of people want this kind of thing.

Been doing festivals for years, now in my (late) 50s and have made my fresh+black pop-up the height of luxury - I love it. Comfy bed, lock-ups with all my stuff, earplugs in, sleep as long as I like. Washing/showers all easy with a watering can sprinkler and a bottle (ok, and some bracing moments, but no queueueueue). Can't imagine being more comfortable.

5 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Saddened to see that camper van west has disappeared for 2020 and probably forever, had a fab fab time there this year.  Obviously will be far less campervan tickets to go round this year which is disappointing but from a green perspective I can see why. 

The pricing for the pre-erected tents are laughable, especially as you're outside the festival wall and a fair trek from anything apart from cinemageddon 

I think the intention is to move the numbers from West Campervan to bath and West Showground.

I must admit with this very, very last min changes I have absolutely no idea what I plan on doing now. This is pretty badly organised has to be said.

What are the facilities at each site?

What so the Yurts, Bellepada, Podpads and Scout tents look like, what are their dimensions?

How much is each kind of accommodation?

I’ve never done Worthy View before and I feel I’m going into it blind. It’s pretty annoying as a lot of my friends aren’t sure if they want to join us or not and I have absolutely fuck all solid information for them. They’re on sale tomorrow ffs.