Glastonbury camera policy

Mash2

So, I wanted to bring in a DSLR to Glastonbury.  Nothing huge but a nice camera with a 2-5 inch lens.  I'm trying to figure out what Glastonbury allows as far as cameras go and I can't seem to get a detailed answer.  Here's text on the published policy:

"No unauthorized tape recorders, professional film or video equipment are allowed onsite. Cameras for personal use are welcome."

That leaves a LOT of room for subjective interpretation and I don't want to get stuck at a gate with security telling me I can't take a camera in, so I sent a question into Glastonbury to get some clarification.  Here's what I asked, "Can you provide additional details on how you distinguish between professional equipment and personal use cameras? e.g. Can we bring in a detachable lens camera?  Is there a restriction on the length/range of the lens?" 

Here's what Glastonbury replied to my question:

"as long as the pictures are for personal use the camera shouldn’t be a problem.  So a nice camera is fine, however, big professional zoom lenses are the issue.
There are currently no restrictions on lens size, but it is something we are going to discuss and certainly we do discourage people from bringing long lenses as there is a risk they might be held at the gate."

Again, subjective.....at least as far as the lens goes  I've asked a follow up question, but what are peoples experience here.  Has anyone tried to bring in an DSLR with a detachable lens?  What happened at the security check?

3 hours ago, bexj said:

It ended up being too much of a pain in the arse to carry around though

That was my main issue when I took my DSLR, while I took the most photos I have ever managed, it was bloody awkward having to lug it round and having to be aware of it getting knocked. That and it felt like I spending more time behind the lens, than enjoying the festival.

I didn't have any issues with security or anything with both a 35mm and 70mm lens. Unless you've got a ridiculous telephoto lens, you should be fine. 

Thks, good info.....which brings me to part 2 of the question.  What's people's thoughts on bringing one in but them leaving it in a backpack in one of the lockups.  I would then only take it out a couple of times to get some good shots but not have to deal with it for the whole day.  Would it be safe in the lockups?

8 hours ago, Mash2 said:

Thks, good info.....which brings me to part 2 of the question.  What's people's thoughts on bringing one in but them leaving it in a backpack in one of the lockups.  I would then only take it out a couple of times to get some good shots but not have to deal with it for the whole day.  Would it be safe in the lockups?

100% safe in the lock ups, no problem at all.  They are very secure (think I'm right in saying that they take pride in never having had anything go missing) and if you tell them it's fragile as you hand it over, they'll take good care of it.

It will be safe in the lockups but your bigger problem is that there are so many photo opportunities, many of them unplanned that either you will end up missing them because your camera is miles away, or you'll just end up carrying your camera all the time. 

4 hours ago, bexj said:

It will be safe in the lockups but your bigger problem is that there are so many photo opportunities, many of them unplanned that either you will end up missing them because your camera is miles away, or you'll just end up carrying your camera all the time. 

Totally get it.  I've been going to multi-day festivals and using my camera for a while now.  Most cases, I just stick it in my pack pack (I always carry a small light pack with a few things in it) and pull it out when necessary.  If I'm going light, I just use my phone.  Having safe lock ups should make that easier, as I can ditch items from my pack for stretches making it lighter.  It doesn't bother me that I would miss shots, as I'm not trying to document the whole thing.  i.e. I wouldn't want to miss actually being there.  Its just nice to have a good camera to take some additional shots.

1 hour ago, RaphPH said:

They are usually fine as long as not taking the mick - sometimes I've had over-zealous guards give me a bit of trouble - but it's a very good natured festival...not had any problems - just don't look like you are a militant photographer - look like a festivalgoer! 

No mic.

"look like a festivalgoer "....this is easily accomplished!  Nobody is going to confuse me with a professional photographer at the gate or in the crowd.

I know glastonbury has rules but basically you can take what you want if you want are a punter.. Its not like a security bloke is going to say hey old son do you have a permit for that they big camera... Nooooo.. Not unless you're trying to get on stage lol.. Mind you you might be able to help blag your way into places others can't.. 

As Ralph said.. Really.. But take a yellow high viz with you and at least try to get into places you shouldn't.. I once got to the pyramid stage barrier but the stage side and tried to get a pic. But got collared by the security.. That was when Metallica were on stage... Fucking strange and scary looking AT the crowd.... Happy pic taking 

I have a clip that attaches to my belt which I can then attach my camera to, it’s totally secure and you barely know the camera is there but it’s accessible in seconds, you can sit down with your camera still attached and basically forget about it until you need it. Very very pricey but worth every penny. I’ll never use a strap or sling ever again.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the thread folks (2.5 years later). I was about to make my own highlighting the still highly interpretive phrasing to gauge opinion used until I found this. Good to know they are not over-zealous. Given that, my concern would be the weight and bulk or spending more time taking pictures than being at the festival, or being back and forth to the lock ups as articulated here. Stuff to think about for sure.

I have an old compact that has seen me through many a festival but it is on it's last legs and I've got into DSLR photography and all that goes with it since the last time I went (2016!) so am reviewing kit to see what's sensible and going to keep me happy while there and afterwards. I certainly don't want any bother with security or to blag myself anywhere. Just want great pictures of our favourite place and friends that I may not have been able to take before. Was thinking I may have to fork out for a new compact (might be a good idea anyway...) but if DSLRs / mirrorless with reasonable lenses are OK thats something to consider.

I take photos for a living (not music though, unfortunately), but for festivals and the like I stick to a decent compact. Most venues won’t let you in with what they consider ‘professional’ equipment (a camera with detachable lenses) anyway, and whilst you probably would get in with a DSLR at Glasto, I wouldn’t want the hassle and worry personally. 
I use a Panasonic TZ200, which has got a 1” sensor making it great for low light and it’s got an impressive zoom and is sensibly priced.

I've taken by DSLR with a telephoto lense in a few times and never had any problems with searches, and I have a decent camera rucksack for carrying it.  I do tend to just bring it in on the Wednesday and Thursday though and take shots of the festival getting set up and some of the smaller acts taking place, and some slow shutter shots at night.

For the main weekend its not really worth taking the DSLR though, as you can never get good shots of the main acts due to the crowds. I have a cannon PowerShot SX740 compact too and that fits in my pocket and still has good zoom and range of setting and does the job well of capturing the odd happenings you stumble across and want a memory of. Can confirm that the lock ups are a great place to store over night too

23 hours ago, spg said:

I take my nikon D5200 with 55-300 lens in every year with no bother. 

Yeah, I've also taken a 55-300 with no problems (other than lugging the bloody thing round).  Last couple of years I've compromised with a Panasonic bridge camera which has the advantage of (relative) compactness and a mahoosive zoom.  Quality is not as good as the Nikon but good enough.

Do you really want to be lugging all that gear round all day? Unless you are set on photographing bands from the back of the pyramid field your phone will be ideal for street style photography capturing the feel of the place. That or something a bit more professional like the Fuji X100 series, fixed focal length, large sensor, just looks like a point and shoot but produced fantastic images, but with the advantage of flying under the radar and being light and fitting in a large pocket.

I've normally taken in a DSLR + and lens or two and never had issues.

My photography has improved a lot over the last two years, so I'm looking forward to seeing what photos I find this year.

Oddly, as my photography has improved, I find myself using less gear... So I'll probably just take an X100V and that'll be plenty for me.