The Macca Reaction Poll

Hugh Jass

The Macca Reaction Poll  

508 members have voted

1. 1. My thoughts on Macca

• Fantastic Booking! Wouldn't miss it for anything!
    • Good booking, guy is obviously a legend. Will probably be there.
    • Might pop along if nothing else takes my fancy.
    • I get that he's a big deal but not for me.
    • Too old! No thanks!
    • I wanted Franz Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do genuinely think some people don’t know what they want. They want to be shocked but can’t explain what would shock them.

More people are probably expecting an Oasis/Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin reunion than you’d think.

Not naming names* but some people genuinely think Daft Punk is a possibility. 

*it's me

Edited by MetaKate
  • Upvote 3

If I get to go then this is a must see for me. Have seen him before but not at Glastonbury. 

There are times when my expectations of an act's vocal performance or musicianship are pretty high... but Saturday night at the pyramid seeing a Beatle playing large quantities of their back catalogue? He'd have to be awful for it to really bother me.

Yes they need younger acts alongside for a great line-up but it's a great booking.

Was there in '04.

Was only my second time there after a nine year gap.

Went thinking "What a has been, Glastonbury's about up and coming and happening acts".

I don't think I've ever been more wrong about anything in my life before or since.

An amazing gig. Still one of my favourites ever, and the crowd...

You've seen the old scenes of Beatlemania? There were a few pockets in the crowd where that was going on big time. People in floods and all hysterical.

3 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

His voice may not be what it used to be but he's a motherflipping Beatle.

unless Ringo starts doing Thomas the tank engine conventions, it's unlikely that I'll get another chance to see a Beatle.

There will have to be something special to tempt me away 

Got to say I agree with this, yes hes ancient , I'm in my late 50s ffs?, hes a legend, I've never seen him or any Beetle live. Might be cheesy, might be the best thing ever, reckon I'll pop along to find out, unless there is a simply must that drags me elsewhere

44 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

*it's me

Ever since you correctly predicted animatronic thingies playing ukuleles (or whatever it was) at Glastonbury on Sea, Kate, I’m banking all my hopes and dreams on this prediction of yours. ??

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Very close to definitely see, but voted for most probably see as we have no info on clashes yet. For example Rage Against the Machine on other would personally give me a dilemma!

For extra context I saw Sir Paul at Live8. Of course that was a limited set, but I lost my na na na na cherry.

This is the thing and why I voted maybe unless there's someone else that appeals more. Like many here I saw the macca in 2004 and a great show it certainly was but if he clashes with Rage on the other then I'll know where I'll be along with 85% of the rest of the  fest. Clear that old railway track ffs!

not fully representative at just over 300 voters but if this was a good sample you're at about 70% of people that would be watching him.

that's got to be stones level crowd at this point almost? you're talking almost certainly over 100k up to maybe even 120k.

going to need some exceptional other, JP,  Park and West Holts headliners to divvy the crowd up. As i won't be watching him (not for me) all I can say is the required strength of alternatives should mean its a solid saturday night with multiple options.

its either that or no one wants to go up against him and most of the other options on the main stages are underwhelming.

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

*it's me

I hope you are right! Some people would still moan though! 

40 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

not fully representative at just over 300 voters but if this was a good sample you're at about 70% of people that would be watching him.

that's got to be stones level crowd at this point almost? you're talking almost certainly over 100k up to maybe even 120k.

going to need some exceptional other, JP,  Park and West Holts headliners to divvy the crowd up. As i won't be watching him (not for me) all I can say is the required strength of alternatives should mean its a solid saturday night with multiple options.

its either that or no one wants to go up against him and most of the other options on the main stages are underwhelming.

A poisoned chalice for whoever does though. Yes, we made it guys, we got to headline the other stage, to... 15 people... including stewards.

41 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Yep.

And wasn't Dolly or Kylie or Lionel or something even more packed?

It's a possible goodbye to camping in Row Mead I reckon. Almost certainly the reason EE mentioned pushing back the tent line there. My goto spot and I can see myself becoming a refugee in another field elsewhere this year.

I don't get how they can keep increasing the capacity whilst seemingly reducing the camping space. I've barely had room for even a camping chair near my pitch the last few years.

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

Yep.

And wasn't Dolly or Kylie or Lionel or something even more packed?

It's a possible goodbye to camping in Row Mead I reckon. Almost certainly the reason EE mentioned pushing back the tent line there. My goto spot and I can see myself becoming a refugee in another field elsewhere this year.

I don't get how they can keep increasing the capacity whilst seemingly reducing the camping space. I've barely had room for even a camping chair near my pitch the last few years.

I think worthy view is increasing in size again ... im sure @Sawdusty Surfer mentioned it ? (maybe ) 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I think worthy view is increasing in size again ... im sure @Sawdusty Surfer mentioned it ? (maybe )

Oh yeah. Without a doubt. It's increased in capacity every year since its inception hasn't it?

But I'm generally a solo camper, so it's automatically an economically bad idea personally. And fuck that regimental structure. And that bloody hill every night. All it's got going for it is the nearby parking from my perspective, and from what I've heard, the larger it's got, the longer the possible walk from your car to your tent has got.

Anyway. Sir Paul of McCartney of The Mull of Kintyre.

What a booking. All of my mates down the pub were actually into having a conversation about Glastonbury with me tonight. Went on for ages it did. All questions and generally interested they were. I'm sure I'll get the same at work tomorrow. I generally try not to be, "that guy that goes to Glastonbury" (hey, there's more to me than just that), but tonight I was that guy.

It's a bit early of a Christmas present this announcement. It would have been just so awesome to have got this on Christmas Eve for example.

Mixed reaction from my group, some delighted some less enthused. For me it's a great booking. McCartney is an icon and definitely a headliner taken from the top shelf of those in the running. Whether I end upon the Pyramid on the Saturday depends on who else is on and how the day goes. I'm 70/30 there I think.

Considering we have spent a disproportionate amount of time debating the merits of the RHCP and 1975 amongst others I am enthused by the prospect of Macca/Taylor and A.N. Other. Looking strong on the Pyramid. I expect the other stages to have similarly compelling headliners too

15 hours ago, priest17 said:

Perplexed by the negative responses. I'm going with a completely different group this year and the whatsapp group was full of people saying it was a bullshit booking, got 7 months to find some new friends basically ahah.

H e   w a s   i n    T h e    B e a t l e s 

S o   w a s   R i n g o ...