Paul McCartney twitter post!

dmedxb

My thought is he turned them down, people who knew he’d been approached were in his ear telling him how cool it would be, he did the interview and then Emily realised that there was a chance and went all out for him. Given the Prince experience it’s not surprising she was cautious with announcing a date, and the rest as they say is history.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I think his voice will be fine if there isnt an active tour around the festival. If he is playing in norway or something a couple days prior, I would have concerns. If he only has those paris dates and then nothing else, he’ll be fine. I mean, i probably shot myself in the foot and he is going to announce a europe tour tomorrow now.

He Norwegian Woodn't surely?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Having to f5 to get an e fests connection, it’s like a mini ticket day , Macca seems to have got us excited! 

I had the same issue last night/this morning ( sorry, california time ) and I thought something happened. But I was a few hours early it seems for the real chaos of the announcement  from maccas tweet.

56 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Has @eFestivals said whats happened to the site today ? only time ive known it crashing like this is tday ? didnt appear that those kind of numbers were on here ... Id like to be pleasantly surprised though :) 

I think too many connections. His database holding the site will only allow so many, likely, per day/hour/not sure how it's set up, so on days when the site is wildly active the database struggles. Macca news probably got a similar number of hits as ticket day! 

Could it be like this:

April - Nick says they're not booking Macca for the 50th because his behavour for the 49th was a bit flakey, pulling out after saying, on some level, he'd play. They'd need something massive for the 50th so someone who might pull out could leave them high & dry (no, not them!), so they didn't want to take a chance on him for the 50th, then him pulling out, leaving them with less-than-stella (no, not her) headliners. So his statement back then that Macca's not in the frame is true (at the time)

Rest of year - try to negotiate Fleetwood Mac.... won't compromise on price, falls through

Try to negotiate Pink Floyd (Gilmour, Mason, Waters) reunion, because Waters played with Mason in the US - falls through

Try to negotiate Led Zep reunion - they um and ah so much, coz Bob wants the songs taken down so many keys for his voice, it's getting towards autumn and it's getting a bit late to not know who the three big heads are going to be.....

Macca makes encouraging noises to Zoe Ball - Nick & Emily think they'd better start putting ink to paper for the last of the Three, with only two in the frame so far - Macca is clearly a great choice, even though it's not *that* long ago he played, so they talk to Macca around September, he plays a bit coy, they say go on do it, your kids want you to, he warms to it, they say but there's no way you're going to pull out this time, we're going to go public the second we can get your sig on a piece of A4 and then you can't go back on it, he says OK as long as I can tease it first so it looks like my idea

Then..... today!

19 minutes ago, billum said:

Could it be like this:

April - Nick says they're not booking Macca for the 50th because his behavour for the 49th was a bit flakey, pulling out after saying, on some level, he'd play. They'd need something massive for the 50th so someone who might pull out could leave them high & dry (no, not them!), so they didn't want to take a chance on him for the 50th, then him pulling out, leaving them with less-than-stella (no, not her) headliners. So his statement back then that Macca's not in the frame is true (at the time)...

....they say but there's no way you're going to pull out this time, we're going to go public the second we can get your sig on a piece of A4 and then you can't go back on it, he says OK as long as I can tease it first so it looks like my idea

Then..... today!

First part maybe, but last part not for me. I think part of being a festival booker is you need to leave your ego at the door, and I can’t imagine them making any demands on such a big coup (especially given the relatively low price they can pay). I do think it was something that has happened recently, and suspect other bands have been courted (Fleetwood Mac and maybe Elton). The interview would have been the catalyst I reckon for it all coming together... Paul’s come and get me would have put Emily and Nick on high alert and they’ve just brought it home. Still buzzing that they have to be honest and that clip of Something was perfect so thank you @august1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, august1 said:

He'll do Something for George, Give peace a chance for John. I think its more like he invites Yoko and Olivia than any special guest.

I hope the Glastonbury crowd nail singing this at 1.50 - 2.20. Such a moment.

Theres no chance I'm gunna make it through his set without secretly crying to myself. 

6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I think too many connections. His database holding the site will only allow so many, likely, per day/hour/not sure how it's set up, so on days when the site is wildly active the database struggles. Macca news probably got a similar number of hits as ticket day! 

I just wondered as it seemed to continue well after 10 pm uk time last night ... maybe it was my laptop .... ive just not seen it happening other than T day (or I have but ive forgotten :))  .... and the numbers of people browsing was large but not exceptional especially later on .. if its big numbers then thats great ... its many people hitting the site that will bring in some revenues and keep it going ... just intrigued really :) 

13 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50460341

some pretty brutal opinions of him and the festival in general over on BBC news comments section! I do try and avoid the comments sections of any news site as it tends to make the blood boil - so much hate from people who have clearly never been to glasto!

Likewise on Instagram and the usual "I'm so glad I didn't get a ticket now" type comments. 

If only these people would take a moment to contemplate how insanely dumb that comment is. Really? If you got a ticket you were only going to Glastonbury for 2 hours on the Saturday night and only ever intended to stand at the pyramid stage? Thank the lord you didn't waste all that money! 

Cracks me up every time! ? 

Edited by Familiar2billions

I mean, as if anyone could possibly care about a Beatle, the greatest living songwriter and national treasure playing Glastonbury.

Unless they announce Franz Ferdinand and Foals as the other two headliners there's no chance I'll pay my balance. It's just a festival for middle class pretend hippies anyway. The festival is dead and stuff and things and other words.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I mean, as if anyone could possibly care about a Beatle, the greatest living songwriter and national treasure playing Glastonbury.

Unless they announce Franz Ferdinand and Foals as the other two headliners there's no chance I'll pay my balance. It's just a festival for middle class pretend hippies anyway. The festival is dead and stuff and things and other words.

Honestly its horrendous and theres not even showers. If you want to clean up you have to shove your head under a drinking tap and it takes like 20 minutes. I'm only paying my balance if coldplay are headlining. 

2 hours ago, Familiar2billions said:

Likewise on Instagram and the usual "I'm so glad I didn't get a ticket now" type comments. 

If only these people would take a moment to contemplate how insanely dumb that comment is. Really? If you got a ticket you were only going to Glastonbury for 2 hours on the Saturday night and only ever intended to stand at the pyramid stage? Thank the lord you didn't waste all that money! 

Cracks me up every time! ? 

exactly this, I must admit im not a fan but that hasn't stopped me being so so happy ive got a ticket!

nice display pic btw- EGG

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It takes tying a few bits together, and then making (some fairly logical) assumptions against them from what's happened ... all a bit convoluted (just tried writing it to make sense and failed).

But anyway, I don't think she's telling porkies, I think things have changed with Macca being the act that was still in negotiation. And if he was still in negotiation - after others have signed up - that suggests he was a later approach than the others.

which quotes are you referring to that Emily may or may not have "been telling porkies"?

to me, it's quite clear:

When Michael made that comment, they were in early talks with Macca, but Michael being Michael just couldn't keep it to himself, and because they were so early, backpedalled a little with the "keep it to yourself" bit.

When Macca made the comment on radio, the talks were still ongoing.

When Emily said that 1 headliner was still in negotiations, they were, and Macca was now in advanced talks.

and within the last couple of weeks it's all been signed off.

Nick deliberately fibbed to throw you off.