Boomtown staff’s ‘traumatic’ weekend reveals the darkest side of the gig economy

Sawdusty surfer

2 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Not blaming Boomtown as such, mut maybe time for BT to vet the companies that they use.

Interesting article, thanks. While I've seen bits and pieces I didn't realise it was that bad overall.

In my view Boomtown do have some level of responsibility for this, as at least one of the three companies named (Freemans) had been accused of several of the same practices at the prior festival and the Boomtown organisers had been made aware - yet instead of being resolved it sounds like the treatment of their staff only got worse.

The other interesting factor is that the other major bar company at Boomtown, Refresh West, is supposed to be pretty decent to work for so they can get it right.

I think it's just unfortunate that this went under the Radar and there's been a handful of shitty companies that have been willing to exploit people. I have worked for the same contractor at Boomtown for three years, who sort out us being able to use the same welfare as staff employed directly through the festival, and it's impeccable, best of any festival I have ever worked at.

The actual festival go so far above and beyond to look after people. from the catering, to having cheaper bars in staff areas.

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2019 at 4:00 AM, incident said:

Interesting article, thanks. While I've seen bits and pieces I didn't realise it was that bad overall.

In my view Boomtown do have some level of responsibility for this, as at least one of the three companies named (Freemans) had been accused of several of the same practices at the prior festival and the Boomtown organisers had been made aware - yet instead of being resolved it sounds like the treatment of their staff only got worse.

The other interesting factor is that the other major bar company at Boomtown, Refresh West, is supposed to be pretty decent to work for so they can get it right.

I'm with you on this.  It's great that Boomtown are expressing concern, dismay and disappointment but they have to think about the people who've been affected by this.  Volunteers and low-paid workers are the backbone of the festival industry.  The work they do for [mostly] low pay or for nothing is essential to the rest of us paying punters enjoying ourselves and living a carefree existence for a few precious days.

I'm hopeful that Boomtown will make it up to the people affected, give them an all-singing, all-dancing on the house experience next year, and bin the shitty companies in favour of those who really value their staff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even more on this at

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Mint-Staffing-Solutions/reviews?fjobtitle=Bar+Staff

it does sound very strange as Security { for the external crew site } appear to be under the impression that bar staff were only there to work.

---------

Although the WBC will use mainly Volunteers { and paid Managers } there has been some events - Hop farm festival and Reading where they used Agency staff ## they had the same facilities as all the normal WBC Crew and could enter and leave when they wished ## but overall they caused more problems than they solved. 

{1} many had little English and that caused lots of problems as they were being used as ' mobile beer dispensers ' and even although they were instructed to check ID for everyone who looked under 21

# they were caught out time and time again selling to people who were clearly under 18. #

The experiment was a complete failure.

2011-wbc-78.thumb.jpg.adebcd5e7d447eab2044b75789daafa2.jpg