The EcoTent, the festival tent abandonment issue solution?

e_g

Hi everyone!

I am creating a unique business concept for my Business Management degree and would love feedback on my idea.

The Eco Tent is a biodegradable, eco friendly alternative to ‘one use’ festival tents. Hundreds of thousands are ditched yearly and end up in landfill.

The frame would be bamboo and the sheeting made from a bio plastic. The sheeting would also include grass seed to facilitate the recovery of the land following the festival. There is currently a cardboard tent however this isn’t completely waterproof which the EcoTent would be.

Any feedback would be so helpful. (Maybe a better name?)

Thank you.

Eco Tent poster.JPG

Festivals will have to spend even more time and money removing them as they are a genuine one-time product and will be left lying around. Punters want a decent deal so unless they're cheaper and at least as reliable as a bog standard tent, it ain't happening.

Disposable culture causes the problem and i don't think replacing one item with a slightly less toxic one is a solution.

• Upvote 2

Does it come with lots of Pandas roaming the fields ? if it does it would be a yes from me ... cant wait for the wild panda to be reintroduced to the fields of Somerset :) ... it might also cure the issue of bovine tb on the farm and lead to Michael and Brian May resolving their differences ... im yet to work out how they could get milk out of Pandas though ?:) 

Edited by crazyfool1
added sentence after first smiley
  • Upvote 1

Good concept, but I can't see how this can move into reality.

If people bring their own, where would these tents be bought from? That makes me think of supply, and then how the vendors would stock them, especially if they don't sell them all.

If these are put up for people, who will pay for that, what choice do people have (1 person, 2 person etc) which immediately affects price and complexity in providing a range.

How do festivals plan for splitting land between these tents and fabric tents being brought?

How quickly do they degrade? Every day means another delay to planting or feeding on a farm.

I think the barriers are commercial, and being able to provide the quantities to supply demand.

Just thought, how about the mileage to transport the bamboo here.

If you make a success of this, then for £2000, I will consider coming on TV for you to laugh at me from your tax exile.

31 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

How much would it cost? 

This is the ultimate question.

For the vast majority of the arseholes who leave their tents at festivals, they're doing so because the tent they've bought is at what they consider to be a disposable price point*. They clearly don't give a shit about the impact of plastics, so unless the "environmentally friendly" alternative can be sold at a competitive price it's just not going to get any traction.

And that's aside from all the other valid points being mentioned.

22 minutes ago, incident said:

For the vast majority of the arseholes who leave their tents at festivals, they're doing so because the tent they've bought is at what they consider to be a disposable price point*. They clearly don't give a shit about the impact of plastics, so unless the "environmentally friendly" alternative can be sold at a competitive price it's just not going to get any traction.

And I for one don’t think we should Panda to these arseholes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

I don't think cost comes into it for a lot of people, more a case of being totally broken/hungover/coming down... rational and ethics can soon bugger off when you feel like death, you've seen the devil and just want your mum!

Maybe a more supportive approach, i.e. helpers to pack down and some electric vehicles to ferry the undead to the perimeter would be a better way to go?

Charity pack down assistance teams...

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, e_g said:

Hi everyone!

I am creating a unique business concept for my Business Management degree and would love feedback on my idea.

The Eco Tent is a biodegradable, eco friendly alternative to ‘one use’ festival tents. Hundreds of thousands are ditched yearly and end up in landfill.

The frame would be bamboo and the sheeting made from a bio plastic. The sheeting would also include grass seed to facilitate the recovery of the land following the festival. There is currently a cardboard tent however this isn’t completely waterproof which the EcoTent would be.

Any feedback would be so helpful. (Maybe a better name?)

Thank you.

Eco Tent poster.JPG

I'm having problems with accepting your use of the word 'unique' in the first sentence. This sort of product has been suggested before. Here's a couple of examples that I found in an instant;

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/camping/news/festival-fan-creates-the-worlds-first-fully-compostable-tent

http://flingtent.com/

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Does it come with lots of Pandas roaming the fields ? if it does it would be a yes from me ... cant wait for the wild panda to be reintroduced to the fields of Somerset :) ... it might also cure the issue of bovine tb on the farm and lead to Michael and Brian May resolving their differences ... im yet to work out how they could get milk out of Pandas though ?:) 

B67DA59A-5D88-4015-9FEC-34A8C5F9A496.jpeg.e5d2e62a9148e1e9e5bff08df2c6522a.jpeg

i give you the pop up panda tent! 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

:) it even has a yawning awning :) 

I'll admit it - i'm actually writing this for you to read, whilst now being on the 'other side'. The thing is, you see, I read your statement, and immediately turned in to the cartoon character Finbarr Saunders, and in doing so, shed my human skin and life. 

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hang on, are you suggesting the tents are just left there at the end of the festival and not cleared up at all?

I think the OP may have underestimated how long, 'bio plastic' takes to breakdown. Not an uncommon misconception to be fair. But a bit of thought would tell you that a tent that would completely decompose in a few weeks would be of doubtfull use in 5-7 days of serious festival use. 

The idea has some merit but its a non-starter IMO. Many of the proposed solutions to 'tent waste' that we see miss the basic point that such items should be REUSED and should be both designed to be REUSED and punters should be buying REUSABLE tents, particularly at Glastonbury given its long-standing eco stance. 

Just buy a f&cking decent quality tent, take care of it and take it home for next year. Its really not that hard. 

35 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I think the OP may have underestimated how long, 'bio plastic' takes to breakdown. Not an uncommon misconception to be fair. But a bit of thought would tell you that a tent that would completely decompose in a few weeks would be of doubtfull use in 5-7 days of serious festival use. 

The idea has some merit but its a non-starter IMO. Many of the proposed solutions to 'tent waste' that we see miss the basic point that such items should be REUSED and should be both designed to be REUSED and punters should be buying REUSABLE tents, particularly at Glastonbury given its long-standing eco stance. 

Just buy a f&cking decent quality tent, take care of it and take it home for next year. Its really not that hard. 

This year's success shows that we know the answer - push a message of generally looking after the land and our planet and the tents issue will almost take care of itself. Surely it's the single use plastic ban that caused the great uptake in people clearing up their shit.

Like a lot it out ecological issues, the biggest way to solve our problems is cultural, not technological.

I agree 100% with you - we've had two posters turn up this week and suggest the best way to solve the problem of people leaving their tents is to encourage them to leave their tents? Nah man!

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This year's success shows that we know the answer - push a message of generally looking after the land and our planet and the tents issue will almost take care of itself. Surely it's the single use plastic ban that caused the great uptake in people clearing up their shit.

Like a lot it out ecological issues, the biggest way to solve our problems is cultural, not technological.

I agree 100% with you - we've had two posters turn up this week and suggest the best way to solve the problem of people leaving their tents is to encourage them to leave their tents? Nah man!

Yes, and every year needs a visible step change in ecological responsibility to keep the message strong. 

No single use bottles in 2019., great, what a result. What's the next step for 2020! Electric vehicle only on site? A ban on plastic lined coffee cups? No man made fabrics on sale? Ideas on a postcard please... 

Glastonbury has long lead the way in reducing environmental impact through innovation and straight forward decisiveness. Long may that continue

7 hours ago, Barney McGrew said:

I don't think cost comes into it for a lot of people, more a case of being totally broken/hungover/coming down... rational and ethics can soon bugger off when you feel like death, you've seen the devil and just want your mum!

Maybe a more supportive approach, i.e. helpers to pack down and some electric vehicles to ferry the undead to the perimeter would be a better way to go?

Charity pack down assistance teams...

Nah, I'm not having this. We all feel like death on the Monday morning (except these days it's my kids i want to see rather than Mum), but I've always managed to drag all of my shit with me.

If your ethics are that easily compromised, then they're not actually your ethics. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ltfckimbo said:

Nah, I'm not having this. We all feel like death on the Monday morning (except these days it's my kids i want to see rather than Mum), but I've always managed to drag all of my shit with me.

If your ethics are that easily compromised, then they're not actually your ethics. 

My ethics are not that easily compromised, I've always taken my stuff with me but clearly some don't, I was merely offering a thought on a why and a suggestion as to how the issue could be reduced further, maybe.

Maybe it's a terrible idea and totally impractical; it was just a thought as to an additional way to encourage and assist people in behaving in a more acceptable way. 

15 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Festivals will have to spend even more time and money removing them as they are a genuine one-time product and will be left lying around. Punters want a decent deal so unless they're cheaper and at least as reliable as a bog standard tent, it ain't happening.

Disposable culture causes the problem and i don't think replacing one item with a slightly less toxic one is a solution.

This is totally it.

I don't want to come across as mean because you're working on it for a project, but you're the second person within a week or so to post a product idea to cut down on tent waste. The answer (and the festival has proved this can work) is to change people's attitudes to disposable culture. It doesn't need a cool new product to sort the issue - people just need to buy a good quality tent and reuse it. An eco tent or pre pitched tents doesn't solve the issue at all because the issue is people's mindset. It's giving them an easy solution and avoiding the actual issue of curing the disposable culture plague.

We can search for solutions such as green tents, pre erected tents etc but the answer lies in festival goers taking personal responsibility for their own actions. Stop buying tents for one event, buy one that can be reused year after year. The emphasis should be on reinforcing the leave no trace message whether it’s tents, equipment right down to not leaving a single peg. Educating festival goers and having site wardens actively explaining the need to clear up your space before leaving. The vast majority of us took on board the ban on the use of single use plastic bottles. Surely after having the privilege to attend the greatest festival in the world it’s not much to ask everyone to respect the farm?