Jump to content
Hugh Jass

The Other and "Kind of Pyramid Level" Headliners

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, endswithMJ said:

Outside chance, reckon AJ Tracey (maybe not but sold out two nights at Ally Pally) could be in with a shout?

Isn't that a wrestler? Who's he fighting?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

And to think this thread started so promisingly.  

I know, came back after an hour or so of doing actual work to see lots of replies.... Then I started reading them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I know, came back after an hour or so of doing actual work to see lots of replies.... Then I started reading them.

So £50 pound notes, scrunch or fold? ?

Godammit, try to diffuse the atmosphere with chat the wrong thread. As you were. 

Edited by H.M.V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

So £50 pound notes, scrunch or fold? ?

Godammit, try to diffuse the atmosphere with chat the wrong thread. As you were. 

Neither... just slide them into the wallet. Gotta keep them forgeries pristine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iforaneye said:

Since it's all about diversity now, I think Billie Eilish should not be counted in the female category since all her stuff was written and produced by her big brother in his bedroom.

Should Wolf Alice be counted as female then? I mean, their main songwriter, singer, guitar player, person with the best stage presence and general centrepiece of the band is female... but the other guys have dicks....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wro_lap said:

Should Wolf Alice be counted as female then? I mean, their main songwriter, singer, guitar player, person with the best stage presence and general centrepiece of the band is female... but the other guys have dicks....

I think for the purposes of trying to ensure parity as far as possible, they actually would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I think for the purposes of trying to ensure parity as far as possible, they actually would be.

For the record, all sarcasm removed, I am arguing in favour of Wolf Alice being a “female” act!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wro_lap said:

For the record, all sarcasm removed, I am arguing in favour of Wolf Alice being a “female” act!

Don't worry... I didn't even get the slightest whiff of gammon from you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Should Wolf Alice be counted as female then? I mean, their main songwriter, singer, guitar player, person with the best stage presence and general centrepiece of the band is female... but the other guys have dicks....

That's the point. Imagine a festival was Paramore, Chvrches, Neon Trees, Wolf Alice.

Would they when have to book some male acts to counteract these "female acts" even though these female acts are mostly male. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iforaneye said:

That's the point. Imagine a festival was Paramore, Chvrches, Neon Trees, Wolf Alice.

Would they when have to book some male acts to counteract these "female acts" even though these female acts are mostly male. 

If you could put together a whole festival's worth of lineup then it would be a worthwhile discussion.  It's not the reality of the current situation in any way though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iforaneye said:

That's the point. Imagine a festival was Paramore, Chvrches, Neon Trees, Wolf Alice.

Would they when have to book some male acts to counteract these "female acts" even though these female acts are mostly male. 

Don’t get me wrong - I get what you’re trying to say, but I think we need to walk before we can run. Getting “female” bands on then Glastonbury bill also acts as an incentive for more to get in the studio and record music so boomers can continue to make movements until we eventually have a pretty even mix of all-male bands, all-female bands, male fronted bands with women in them, female fronted bands with men in them, etc. Emily Eavis herself (and the Reading and Leeds booker in an interview somewhere, I recall) has admitted this won’t happen overnight, but even if it requires a tiny bit of lenience over who we refer to as “female” (nb. Billie Eilish, a female solo artist who happens to co-write with her brother who also plays bass for her, is not a lenient selection of a female artist), then it’s definitely still a step forward in the current climate. Just because a band has male members doesn’t detract from anything.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Don’t get me wrong - I get what you’re trying to say, but I think we need to walk before we can run. Getting “female” bands on then Glastonbury bill also acts as an incentive for more to get in the studio and record music so boomers can continue to make movements until we eventually have a pretty even mix of all-male bands, all-female bands, male fronted bands with women in them, female fronted bands with men in them, etc. Emily Eavis herself (and the Reading and Leeds booker in an interview somewhere, I recall) has admitted this won’t happen overnight, but even if it requires a tiny bit of lenience over who we refer to as “female” (nb. Billie Eilish, a female solo artist who happens to co-write with her brother who also plays bass for her, is not a lenient selection of a female artist), then it’s definitely still a step forward in the current climate. Just because a band has male members doesn’t detract from anything.

Give that beaut an upvote for me... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread derailed a bit...

 

I think Billie won't do the fests next year, will get her massive tour dates out the way, put out a new album and headline bits in 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Give that beaut an upvote for me... 

 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

done 

You guys are cute.

(apologies for my contribution to the derailing of the thread)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TiZuff said:

I felt the sound was much improved this year . Maybe imagining it but it’s what I felt from the first act I saw on there and I saw all 3 headliners there too. 

I know this is far from comparing like with like, but compared to the hi-fi audio treat of Jon Hopkins, I was pretty unimpressed with the sound on Other for the Chemicals.

It's odd how Other is the only major stage not running Martin Audio. Pyramid, W Holts and John Peel are all running various configurations of the MLA and even The Park has Martin Audio, albeit an older model. I wonder if there's something about the site that makes them unsuitable? I'd love to hear them try MLA out there too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Is Lorde out of the question?

Was going to ask the same thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Is Lorde out of the question?

 

1 minute ago, blue6field said:

Was going to ask the same thing

She's neither an Other headliner nor a "kind of Pyramid level headliner" so yes, she's out of the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...