The Other and "Kind of Pyramid Level" Headliners

Hugh Jass

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

What is the type of act Glastonbury would book?

I understand that Glastonbury is a diverse festival but there some acts I think the festival just leave for other festivals to have. 

Maybe I’m just clouded by my huge disliking for twenty one pilots, but I equate them to the type of bands which play Reading and download and don’t really turn up at anything else - probably because they haven’t been asked. I know Glastonbury has sometimes shared acts with these festivals but it’s usually been those who have a slightly wider appeal than twenty one pilots. 

I don’t think they will be booked for the same reasons that Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, MCR, Slipknot et all will be booked or booked again. All of these bands can get better somewhere else and I think they know that they aren’t playing to their target market at glasto. Also, Twenty one pilots are comfortable headliners when they are performing to their own fans. If you offered them a lower slot on the lineup they’d probably question why as they headlined a UK festival this year.

I also think Glastonbury has plenty of stronger options than a band like them. I don’t think they’ve released anything or put on any good shows to get glasto’s attention. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 2

Another example I can give is Blink 182 - there’s almost too many safe options for a band like that to take before they will end up doing something like Glastonbury. The slot glasto would probably offer them as well would be seriously lower than what they usually play in the UK. So why would they take it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Another example I can give is Blink 182 - there’s almost too many safe options for a band like that to take before they will end up doing something like Glastonbury. The slot glasto would probably offer them as well would be seriously lower than what they usually play in the UK. So why would they take it?

They seem to do a mix of headlining and playing second from top in Europe so I don’t see why they couldn’t do the same here. They fit the bigger than usual Other sized headliner thing perfectly, a band who’ve headlined a major UK festival but aren’t quite big enough with the Glastonbury crowd to headline the Pyramid. I thought they seemed an obvious option anyway but even more so now they’re in Dublin just before Glastonbury. I wouldn’t normally suggest R&L headliners to play lower down at Glastonbury but in this case I think it makes a lot of sense.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Foals aren’t even headlining TRNSMT. Not sure they even qualify as a larger than usual other stage headliner anymore.

It's certainly a weird one with TRNSMT but I don't think it changes anything with Glastonbury. Still expect them to be one of the three. 

7 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Just seen that Kings of Leon have been added to the Mad Cool Festival next year, I know they're a bit past it but any chance of them being on the Other?

I was literally coming on here to post this - I think it’s possible, they’ve been away for a while now and hopefully will have taken stock of how crap every album they have released after Only By The Night is... 

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's certainly a weird one with TRNSMT but I don't think it changes anything with Glastonbury. Still expect them to be one of the three. 

I still think they can headline other but I think them accepting below headline slots at smaller festivals is a sure indicator that they aren’t as large of a booking as some on this forum would think. It would also seem that they’ve very much struggled to solidify themselves as a UK festival headliner.

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I still think they can headline other but I think them accepting below headline slots at smaller festivals is a sure indicator that they aren’t as large of a booking as some on this forum would think. It would also seem that they’ve very much struggled to solidify themselves as a UK festival headliner.

Ok mate they’re not headlining the Pyramid. Don’t need to do a victory lap.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I understand that Glastonbury is a diverse festival but there some acts I think the festival just leave for other festivals to have. 

Maybe I’m just clouded by my huge disliking for twenty one pilots, but I equate them to the type of bands which play Reading and download and don’t really turn up at anything else - probably because they haven’t been asked. I know Glastonbury has sometimes shared acts with these festivals but it’s usually been those who have a slightly wider appeal than twenty one pilots. 

I think 21 pilots (don't spell them like that in front of their fans) would go down well at glasto. A superb live act. Also I don't think they've played download since 2014 and can't imagine they will again. I think they are now too big for download to bring on as they'd require a huge slot without fitting a huge chunk of the demographic

Either way put them on other against Macca and see how it goes (I'd watch half of each set)

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

??? I think I deserve it after the lashings I got for critiquing whether they were in the frame despite everything that was said.

Hardly fam. When most of the people punting them as potentials agreed that it was hopeful and someone might have to drop out, it’s not a big W for you. Digging up old arguments for a gloat is beneath you.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Accepting headline slots at Truck, Y Not etc seems to have backfired massively. I mean, those festivals aren't usually headlined by anyone on an upward trajectory, let alone a band wanting to headline the next year's Glastonbury.

18 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Now then, no need to be bitter old son. 

I’m not bitter, I’m seeing two of my dream headliners.

Matt is here saying “I still think they’d headline the Other but here look Foals aren’t as big as you all said” in multiple threads and I’m the one looking bad for saying to cut it out?

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

I think 21 pilots (don't spell them like that in front of their fans) would go down well at glasto. A superb live act. Also I don't think they've played download since 2014 and can't imagine they will again. I think they are now too big for download to bring on as they'd require a huge slot without fitting a huge chunk of the demographic

Either way put them on other against Macca and see how it goes (I'd watch half of each set)

They were playing Reading this year and I decided to see what they were about - even though I wasn't that interested and only knew 3 songs (and wasn't that keen on any of them). 

To my complete surprise I really liked a lot of the stuff they played and it worked really well live - I had a fantastic night.  They also put on a really good show and interacted really well with the crowd.  I haven't listened to them an awful lot since, but would definitely go to see them again if they popped up at Glasto.  I think they would really suit Other stage Headliner slot, and with playing Dublin on the Wednesday before, I reckon there is a fairly good chance they could be there.

3 hours ago, jj200 said:

I reckon the 1975 are doing a UK exsesvise at Glastonbury since they are not playing trnsmt.

Unlikely I'd have thought. Historically I think it's been cleared up that Glastonbury doesn't really hold an exclusive tag on artists performing as they don't pay enough. And even if they did it would be for them as a headliner  and they're ruled out of that by Emily's statements about who's still to be announced. Assuming she's not telling porkies of course. 

12 minutes ago, circus92 said:

They were playing Reading this year and I decided to see what they were about - even though I wasn't that interested and only knew 3 songs (and wasn't that keen on any of them). 

To my complete surprise I really liked a lot of the stuff they played and it worked really well live - I had a fantastic night.  They also put on a really good show and interacted really well with the crowd.  I haven't listened to them an awful lot since, but would definitely go to see them again if they popped up at Glasto.  I think they would really suit Other stage Headliner slot, and with playing Dublin on the Wednesday before, I reckon there is a fairly good chance they could be there.

I think they fit Emily's clue as well re: title of this thread as well. I reckon her comment refers to either an act that has previously headlined (Stereophonics, Noel [as Oasis mind]) or an act that has recently headlined another festival (Foals, 21p). Leaning heavily towards them being up against Macca now. I'd go Noel against Kendrick, 21 against Macca and Foals against Taylor.

Just now, jparx said:

I think they fit Emily's clue as well re: title of this thread as well. I reckon her comment refers to either an act that has previously headlined (Stereophonics, Noel [as Oasis mind]) or an act that has recently headlined another festival (Foals, 21p). Leaning heavily towards them being up against Macca now. I'd go Noel against Kendrick, 21 against Macca and Foals against Taylor.

I would luhhhh dat. However it’s fairly unconventional for them to have three rock headliners on the Other (I know Twenty One Pilots rap too) so I’m kind of thinking two of the above and an electronic name.