The Other and "Kind of Pyramid Level" Headliners

Hugh Jass

8 hours ago, jyoung said:

Miley was fantastic. I was annoyed that I left early for Billie which ended up being a bit of an underwhelming set. I'm a fan but it didn't live up to my expectations. 

Still catching up with this thread but have to agree with this. Did exactly the same thing and wished I hadn’t. Enjoyed it that little I actually left her set early and went back to camp. Although granted I could still hear her from Oxlyers I would have done the same if I was camped the other side of the site.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Oh right, yeah I was getting it mixed up with where I have a tooth emoji. Fair one then.

Yeah I assumed the same.

Haven't been on here as much in the last week or 2 but I don't remember seeing any particularly troll-like comments from them so it appears I definitely missed something.

Looks like they're last on the bill for those Killers dates (behind Sam Fender and Blossoms) so I think it's safe to say their headlining days are behind them. 

Edit: just read the poster properly, they're playing different dates to Blossoms and SF but point still stands, they're not headliner level any more. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Looks like they're last on the bill for those Killers dates (behind Sam Fender and Blossoms) so I think it's safe to say their headlining days are behind them. 

They're just supporting different days, rather than being below them on the bill.

But, yes, as much as I love them, the days of them headlining a major stage are well behind them. Mid-Other or the Friday opening act would be their level now I'd guess.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Manics in JP would be amazing. All over that if it ever came to pass.

I still love the manics even if I wasn't a big fan of the last album. The tour wasn't great either but Nicky was obviously going through some tough personal shit. They had to only play to half an arena when I seen them on that tour although the anniversary show of "Everything Must Go" was a sell out in the Hydro and was an amazing gig a year earlier. 

47 minutes ago, Quark said:

Manics in JP would be amazing. All over that if it ever came to pass.

42 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I still love the manics even if I wasn't a big fan of the last album. The tour wasn't great either but Nicky was obviously going through some tough personal shit. They had to only play to half an arena when I seen them on that tour although the anniversary show of "Everything Must Go" was a sell out in the Hydro and was an amazing gig a year earlier. 

It's just been announced that they will be supporting The Killers on 3 dates of their upcoming tour.   Other dates have support from Sam Fender and Blossoms.

The Manic dates are:

Tuesday 9 June - Bristol Ashton Gate Stadium (with Manic Street Preachers)

Thursday 11 June - Coventry Ricoh Stadium (with Manic Street Preachers)

Saturday 13 June - Middlesborough Riverside Stadium (with Manic Street Preachers)

so they will be active leading up to Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Fair play to the Manics - they’ve headlined most of the big festivals here and seem happy to play whatever slot they get. Within 4 years of headlining Glasto they were back subbing Moby.

I don't know how much bands adhere to their stated ambitions at the start of their careers - and the Manics made a few - but I recall it was their MO to play whenever and wherever in order to become as big as possible.  I remember them getting stick for supporting Bon Jovi at Wembley in (I think) 1993.

I've only ever seen them the once, and that was so long ago they were still a four piece. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

It's just been announced that they will be supporting The Killers on 3 dates of their upcoming tour.   Other dates have support from Sam Fender and Blossoms.

The Manic dates are:

Saturday 13 June - Middlesborough Riverside Stadium (with Manic Street Preachers)

Yeah this was what prompted my question. The Killers poster popped up on my Fb, but I don’t know if manics still had the same appeal as 10+ Years ago 

7 hours ago, stuie said:

The Manic dates are:

ugh, that means so will Blossoms :(

On 11/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, caballosblancos said:

Yeah this was what prompted my question. The Killers poster popped up on my Fb, but I don’t know if manics still had the same appeal as 10+ Years ago 

Manics were third or fourth down on the Other last time they played, so highly unlikely they’ll be bumped up again

Edited by GrumpyRaver