The Other and "Kind of Pyramid Level" Headliners

Hugh Jass

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

You're right. It's a bigger punt on Billie.

History's full of blokes with guitars who've stuck to a formula and been successful. Might be dull, might not be imaginative, but it's true.

History's also full of people who've gone down a different path, produced something that doesn't sound like anything else and captured the zeitgeist, and then.....

I really don’t see how it’s a bigger punt on someone who is way bigger than Jake Bugg ever was - but I don’t want to get into a debate about metrics.

I don’t understand why Billie is being lumped / compared with artists who are smaller than her in @Mash011 ‘s ‘every possible and conceivable metric’.

Do people seriously believe her second album isn’t going to be a big deal?

Can't see Billie headlining the Pyramid yet but it could be feasible that she could headline the Other as sort of an apology for the sound issues this year. Personally I think that she should sub the Pyramid but a dark set headlining the Other would be a decent set. 

Miley finishing the same time as Billie starting was a nightmare as people either missed the end of Miley or the start of Billie and those who missed the start ending up missing Bad Guy which is arguably her biggest banger. Kylie would have had some impact too as I know a few who refused to move from the Pyramid for most of the day due to wanting to camp out for Kylie and ultimately decided to stay for Miley. 

As long as the headliners on the other main stages give alternative styles it doesn’t bother me who is headlining. If it’s Kendrick on the pyramid  then put Biffy or a Gallagher on the other.  It’s the beauty of Glastonbury. I’ve  never been at a loss for something to see. Like most folk clashes are the problem, and it’s lovely! 

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t see how it’s a bigger punt on someone who is way bigger than Jake Bugg ever was - but I don’t want to get into a debate about metrics.

I don’t understand why Billie is being lumped / compared with artists who are smaller than her in @Mash011 ‘s ‘every possible and conceivable metric’.

My dude, you were in here posting Billie’s ticket sales an hour ago. You clearly do want to debate metrics.

Also, it’s not worth quoting @Mash011, he was a joke account that’s been thankfully banned.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phimill said:

Slightly off topic here - but surely if they re planning "pyramid level" headliners they need to massively improve the sound on the other - especially when the wind picks up!

I felt the sound was much improved this year . Maybe imagining it but it’s what I felt from the first act I saw on there and I saw all 3 headliners there too. 

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

I felt the sound was much improved this year . Maybe imagining it but it’s what I felt from the first act I saw on there and I saw all 3 headliners there too. 

I wasn't there this year but in 2017 i remember not being able to hear Liam from just behind the sound desks becasue of the winds

44 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'm not talking about metrics at the moment.  I'm talking about genres that are a safer bet for long term success.  Statistically there are more people who've made long careers from producing a safe form of music than those who've done something different.  The point is it's a bigger gamble on someone like Eilish than on someone like Bugg, purely because she's different.

32 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Also, it’s not worth quoting @Mash011, he was a joke account that’s been thankfully banned.

Missed that one. When did that come to pass then?

46 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Can't see Billie headlining the Pyramid yet but it could be feasible that she could headline the Other as sort of an apology for the sound issues this year. Personally I think that she should sub the Pyramid but a dark set headlining the Other would be a decent set. 

did she have sound issues?

I mean, I know she said it, and said it at several other gigs, but I thought everyone knew that was just some BS excuse for basically miming and letting the backing track basically do the vocals at every gig?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, evannn said:

saw Stereophonics at latitude this year, and they were surprisingly not shite. Played most of the hits, well spread through the set as well. Preferred them to the killers' set the year before tbh

Don't see why people would be surprised. I find the stick they get on here pretty funny. Record-wise, they're obviously not as good as they were on the back of two incredible albums, but let's face it not many bands produce 3+ top class albums. 

I think it's fashionable on here (for some) to bash guitar bands nowadays just to reinforce to people how "on-board" they are with female solo acts, hip-hop etc being at the festival. Like they're trying to emphasise that it's so out-dated and goes against all diversity to even consider that there are still class live male-fronted guitar bands. I love hip-hop and a shit tonne of female artists. I fucking love rock and guitar bands too. Phonics are far from shit/bland. Their setlists are hit-heavy and Kelly's voice is excellent live - and to agree with something that's already been said on here, they'd draw an enormous crowd of happy Glasto-goers on Other, and a sizeable crowd at the Pyramid.

Each to their own, of course :D

I expect Billie Eilish to headline Reading next year and probably not back to Glastonbury until she's topping the big boy. Foals seem the most locked in for Other headline slot based on availiability, size, and the pyramid sized headliner comment. I don't see Dua Lipa anywhere but afternoon on the pyramid, mostly because I've seen her live and although the voice is ok, she's not much cop. Of course this could provide the opportunity for her on/off boyfriend Chris Martin to swoop onto the stage, like the parent coming down from their bedroom during your 16th birthday house party because they 'forgot something'.

Just leave us to our drink and drugs in peace old man

1 hour ago, waltere said:

Never forget that in 2014 Jake Bugg headlined the Other (above Pixies and the Manics!)

Taking risky bets on 'zeitgeist' artists doesn't always result in bookings which age well.

I think Metallica were pencilled in to do that slot mind. Then ended up headlining the Pyramid when a certain booking never came off. I guess the aim was to have Pixies still not to clash with them. It has obviously aged badly but it didn't feel particularly right at the time either!

7 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Don't see why people would be surprised. I find the stick they get on here pretty funny. Record-wise, they're obviously not as good as they were on the back of two incredible albums, but let's face it not many bands produce 3+ top class albums. 

I think it's fashionable on here (for some) to bash guitar bands nowadays just to reinforce to people how "on-board" they are with female solo acts, hip-hop etc being at the festival. Like they're trying to emphasise that it's so out-dated and goes against all diversity to even consider that there are still class live male-fronted guitar bands. I love hip-hop and a shit tonne of female artists. I fucking love rock and guitar bands too. Phonics are far from shit/bland. Their setlists are hit-heavy and Kelly's voice is excellent live - and to agree with something that's already been said on here, they'd draw an enormous crowd of happy Glasto-goers on Other, and a sizeable crowd at the Pyramid.

Each to their own, of course :D

The issue with them. at least for me, is continually dull output. 2 great albums and one OK album, then one good radio single. After that...

I have no particular beef with them, and I'll freely admit to liking their early stuff. They were great when I saw them back in 2001 and even better back in '97. But their stuff since then has just been incredibly dull. Not even singles that have stuck in the head or commanded any kind of "album's shit but..." response.

Nowt to do with guitar bands for me.  If they were still putting out decent tunes I'd be all for it. But they're not.  Have you heard their new album? I'd forgotten everything about it apart from one shit lyric involving "bling" about 5 minutes after it finished. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Quark said:

The issue with them. at least for me, is continually dull output. 2 great albums and one OK album, then one good radio single. After that...

I have no particular beef with them, and I'll freely admit to liking their early stuff. They were great when I saw them back in 2001 and even better back in '97. But their stuff since then has just been incredibly dull. Not even singles that have stuck in the head or commanded any kind of "album's shit but..." response.

Nowt to do with guitar bands for me.  If they were still putting out decent tunes I'd be all for it. But they're not.  Have you heard their new album? I'd forgotten everything about it apart from one shit lyric involving "bling" about 5 minutes after it finished. 

I totally agree, don't get me wrong. It's annoying in fact, as their first two albums are incredible. However, for an hour long set at Glasto, they'd put on a great show to a big crowd.

My issue is too, that there are so many dog shit guitar bands at the moment, that I and many others would quite like to see a handful of established bands like Phonics, Manics etc to satisfy the need!