The solution to abandoned tents & waste?

Jack_FM

11 hours ago, tarw said:

Camping has always been included for camping festivals!  We don’t want to go down the route of American festivals where everything is charged for thank you

Then let me know how you feel when it gets to £400 in 5 years and you keep convincing yourself that "camping is included so its ok" when you pay. And there is already Worthy View, so theyve already gone that direction anyway. Dont fool yourself. And btw, Coachella doesnt charge to park if you drive in to park each day of the fest thank you very much. That and $2 for water will never change.

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Then let me know how you feel when it gets to £400 in 5 years and you keep convincing yourself that "camping is included so its ok" when you pay. And there is already Worthy View, so theyve already gone that direction anyway. Dont fool yourself. And btw, Coachella doesnt charge to park if you drive in to park each day of the fest thank you very much. That and $2 for water will never change.

Just going off Coachella’s advertised prices for 2022 and converting to GBP, a ticket + the absurd fee plus camping would set you back £630.

Would you ever cease tooting that big garish corporate american horn of yours. Nobody who ’gets’ glastonbury is the slightest bit interested in emulating Coachella. It sounds like hell on earth.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Would you ever cease tooting that big garish corporate american horn of yours. Nobody who ’gets’ glastonbury is the slightest bit interested in emulating Coachella. It sounds like hell on earth.

Interested in this. What in your opinion is Glastonbury about?

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Theres tent donation areas for camping ones in the u.s because they get donated for homeless people. But since that sort of thing pretty much is unheard of over there its pointless. I mean they should/could charge to camp at glasto anyway to get the income. Who is going to get upset if they ask £20 extra a ticket holder. The eavii wont mind the millions it would generate. They have to get around to that sort of thing anyway. Wonder how much extra Reading had to fork over after that madness that was left last weekend for cleanup crews.

If you don't do camping what do you do? Is it a bit like Sziget where there's other options in a big nearby town?

9 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It can be done, but it's going to take many years.

Somehow we need a massive change in the attitude of the punters.

Shambala has had a grand total of zero tents left over the last two events, I believe it was 6 the year before.

Not only that but the fields are more or less spotless, with the vast majority clearing up their campsite before leaving.

I believe it's the same at Womad.

It can be done but there's no incentive for the festival to actually do it. What's left now is more than manageable with the waste management plan the festival have. They never needed 100% of tents taken home, they needed 80-90% and now they're at that it's not really an issue any more.

Longer term, it'll self correct as the cost of materials goes through the roof and so people won't want to leave tents as they'll be too valuable anyway.

As a society we could do with doing better but honestly at this point the small number of tents left at festivals are a tiny part of the consumption we need to drastically cut back on.

16 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It can be done, but it's going to take many years.

Somehow we need a massive change in the attitude of the punters.

Shambala has had a grand total of zero tents left over the last two events, I believe it was 6 the year before.

Not only that but the fields are more or less spotless, with the vast majority clearing up their campsite before leaving.

I believe it's the same at Womad.

Pretty much.

I was working in the campsites on Sunday and they were still spotless. And the people packing up were taking everything with them.

The only time I saw any real litter was after the main headliner and even then it was way less than you normally see. Felt even more disappointing in a way though.

30 minutes ago, Neil said:

if theres rthat change in attitude the problem goes away anyway.

Personal responsibility is the driver but there will always be the morons who just don't care. Having witnessed groups who have abandoned ca. £800 worth of camping gear, behaviour will not be altered by camping fees which are refunded for taking stuff home.