Download 2021

Bandit Tom

13 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I really hope everything aligns and Download manage to book Rage Against The Machine, Iron Maiden, and Rammstein for 2022. Expensive trio surely, so the undercard may suffer, but it wouldn't be significant for me at the point. I'd buy a ticket instantly. 

Swap Rage for Avenged and thats probably what we're getting.

19 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I see it slightly different in that BMTH, Ghost, Architects & Parkway Drive haven't been wheeled out every other year so they become stale & stuck in that same slot like Korn, BFMV etc. The intent is there, they just for one reason or another never seem to pull the trigger on them. This year would have been the right time for BMTH, but perhaps Copping didn't want their first time to be tarnished by the 'eugh this isn't a good replacement for Maiden' brigade. 

Five Finger Munch Bunch are slightly different, I can't see them making it to headliner for some reason. 

Either way over the next couple of years they're going to need new headliners. Maiden, Metallica, Leppard etc. are nearing the end & they can't book Slipknot, SOAD & Rammstein every year. 

I get your point with not wanting to overbook an act before bumping them up to headliners, but still.. a seven/eight year gap between BMTH’s last appearance and them headlining seems a bit much and far more because of Coppings refusal to book them when he can just book a usual trio instead which may have lead to a bit of bad blood. Suppose it depends on whether BMTH are happy to just wait it out until they’re given the call due to there not being any other options or if they’ll just tell Copping to go fuck himself when that time comes.

But yeah, as always, the clock is ticking and they’re gonna have to make a change to their headliner booking policy soon, so who knows what’s gonna happen over the next five or so years. I’m sure Copping is elated every year that one of his big bands doesn’t decide to call it a day.

Edited by FloorFiller

18 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I really hope everything aligns and Download manage to book Rage Against The Machine, Iron Maiden, and Rammstein for 2022. Expensive trio surely, so the undercard may suffer, but it wouldn't be significant for me at the point. I'd buy a ticket instantly. 

Those bands would take sales from 80000-90000 up to the capacity 110000. So I there would still be a good undercard. 

Yeah I think BMTH have decided no to Download after the Rammstein thing. The one year it could have been done and if TTS isn't doing it and dropping Coppings ego then that's his own fault. For Download, what more does he want except for a big arena tour sell out when there is only a few acts that headline it that could sell own outdoor shows out.

47 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Their date at APE didn’t sell out, right?

Not selling out is putting it nicely. APE struggled (in general but BMTHs day seemed like one of the worse) so they gave away free tickets and it was still a small crowd, it looked more like an Alley Pally gig than a park festival. It's a shame as it was a decent line up too with Idles, Run The Jewels, Black Futures etc on the bill and BMTH themselves looked like a headline act when they were on.

They should just let the likes of FFDP and BMTH headline anyway, it's not as if them repeatedly booking KISS or Def Leppard is making it 100k+ attended festival and regulars go regardless of the line up.

Edited by jump

54 minutes ago, jump said:

Not selling out is putting it nicely. APE struggled (in general but BMTHs day seemed like one of the worse) so they gave away free tickets and it was still a small crowd, it looked more like an Alley Pally gig than a park festival. It's a shame as it was a decent line up too with Idles, Run The Jewels, Black Futures etc on the bill and BMTH themselves looked like a headline act when they were on.

They should just let the likes of FFDP and BMTH headline anyway, it's not as if them repeatedly booking KISS or Def Leppard is making it 100k+ attended festival and regulars go regardless of the line up.

There was around 31k people at All Points East, supposedly. They did give away a lot of tickets though. Muggins here paid full whack :lol: 

If you look at who is in the frame for next year, if they secure two massive headliners like Iron Maiden (likely for 2022) and Avenged Sevenfold (before anyone says A7X aren’t a massive headliner for Download, they are. It’ll be their third time headlining when they next do it), then they’ve got no excuse to bump someone up, like Five Finger Death Punch, for example.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

then they’ve got no excuse to bump someone up, like Five Finger Death Punch, for example.

See, this is what they should be doing, slowly amassing a bigger roster of headliner acts by giving smaller acts the bump up to prove they’ve got the headlining chops, but time and time again they’ve proven that they’d rather just stick with what they know and only have huge established headliners topping the bill, which is why FFDP seem a way off to me.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

See, this is what they should be doing, slowly amassing a bigger roster of headliner acts by giving smaller acts the bump up to prove they’ve got the headlining chops, but time and time again they’ve proven that they’d rather just stick with what they know and only have huge established headliners topping the bill, which is why FFDP seem a way off to me.

Alter Bridge played O2 arena twice and never got the jump, and probally never will

37 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Thought so, they're one of those bands like BMTH that are knocking on the door but might never quite get there unfortunately

They are only on their 2nd album and their subset at R&L was really well received. It seems too early to write them off.

4 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

Alter Bridge played O2 arena twice and never got the jump, and probally never will

Alter Bridge should have headlined in 2017 for sure. I think they’re dull af but they’ve got to be the biggest band not to have headlined, they’re always selling out the O2 and multiple arenas. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, jump said:

They are only on their 2nd album and their subset at R&L was really well received. It seems too early to write them off.

I really hope so, that’s just me being a pessimist. Their set at R&L last year was brilliant. They’ve got to be worth a go when Download stop recycling the same core headliners

2 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

Hopefully Queens of the stone age headline in 2022, think they should have headlined in 2018 instead of Ozzy.

I don’t think they’re an act Download would have headline, unfortunately. Josh also downplayed any big world tours from now on so who knows what the deal with them and festivals will be with the next album.

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think they’re an act Download would have headline, unfortunately. Josh also downplayed any big world tours from now on so who knows what the deal with them and festivals will be with the next album.

Just speculation but it might be because him and his wife had an agreement that they would rotate how active they are with their bands so there’s always one watching the kids. However it turned into Brody being less active whilst QOTSA kept getting bigger so with The Distillers  back (and even without releasing something it’s already bigger than everything she did since they broke up) it may a chance for him to be supportive to her.

In any case I suspect they will be touring just not in solid 8 month runs from now on.

2 hours ago, jump said:

Just speculation but it might be because him and his wife had an agreement that they would rotate how active they are with their bands so there’s always one watching the kids. However it turned into Brody being less active whilst QOTSA kept getting bigger so with The Distillers  back (and even without releasing something it’s already bigger than everything she did since they broke up) it may a chance for him to be supportive to her.

In any case I suspect they will be touring just not in solid 8 month runs from now on.

I do feel QOTSA will play R+L outright before they hit Download, if ever.