Download 2021

Bandit Tom

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Billy Talent are doing SD again.

The Avalanche is suffering from SD, they will always get a better shot at SD given that festival is centered around it. Download will get the bands on a year they've either played SD before or are not wanted by them.

As for Dropkicks, that might just sell a Friday ticket as I want to see Lacuna Coil and The Distillers. Why they would clash Distillers and ADTR I'm not sure but someone has to clash. Sunday run might be the best run I've had since Download 11 and then it was only really Gaslight, Disturbed and Linkin Park, obviously the latter being my main pull.

Ahh, yeah. I forgot that Billy Talent are doing Slam Dunk. 

3 minutes ago, Hawky said:

There's no reason they'd be held back if they've already announced European shows. It'll be someone yet to announce EU festival shows. 

Same with Dropkick Murphy's, subbing Hellfest (I think) they would've been announced for DL yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if BFMV didn't play DL ever again, they're not going to get the slots they believe they deserve (sub / headline). I don't even think they're big enough to headline 2nd.

I'd love it to be Architects but I think it's more likely going to be someone like FFDP.

Death Punch are Main Stage headliner material these days and I think they’ll do so in 2022. 

17 minutes ago, Hawky said:

There's no reason they'd be held back if they've already announced European shows. It'll be someone yet to announce EU festival shows. 

To sell tickets in next announcement. Fyi Puscifer only have 2 Europe shows announced so far, several weeks apart. Placebo have 3. Other fests are holding back on announcing them too.

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Death Punch are Main Stage headliner material these days and I think they’ll do so in 2022. 

Tbh, I haven't listened to F8 yet and because I didn't hear anything about it I assumed it was a flop. (I wasn't THAT keen on their release before F8 either) 

I'll give it a go.

20 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

To sell tickets in next announcement. Fyi Puscifer only have 2 Europe shows announced so far, several weeks apart. Placebo have 3. Other fests are holding back on announcing them too.

We're in an unusual position where the lineup is out 10months prior to the festival because many bands who were due to be in Europe in 2020 have rescheduled already, we usually only get the headliners in Sep. It seems the focus is now for festivals to get their lineups out ASAP to allow for months of sales as opposed to relying on 2nd announcements to push sales like normal. We're at a stage now with the lineup that we don't usually get to until around January / Feb time. 

RE Placebo and Puscifer, don't forget there are still Festivals to announce their lineups across Europe, festivals that haven't announced anything aren't just going to drop Placebo out of thin air, similarly Placebo.

If that band has already announced some shows, there's no reason why they wouldn't be in yesterday's announcement other than a pending UK tour and I can't imagine Puscifer, or Placebo, announcing a substantial UK tour any time soon. Given Placebo are still on their 20 year anniversary tour which has already toured here and there's no real demand for a Puscifer tour. 

1 minute ago, Hawky said:

We're in an unusual position where the lineup is out 10months prior to the festival because many bands who were due to be in Europe in 2020 have rescheduled already, we usually only get the headliners in Sep. It seems the focus is now for festivals to get their lineups out ASAP to allow for months of sales as opposed to relying on 2nd announcements to push sales like normal. We're at a stage now with the lineup that we don't usually get to until around January / Feb time. 

RE Placebo and Puscifer, don't forget there are still Festivals to announce their lineups across Europe, festivals that haven't announced anything aren't just going to drop Placebo out of thin air, similarly Placebo.

If that band has already announced some shows, there's no reason why they wouldn't be in yesterday's announcement other than a pending UK tour and I can't imagine Puscifer, or Placebo, announcing a substantial UK tour any time soon. Given Placebo are still on their 20 year anniversary tour which has already toured here and there's no real demand for a Puscifer tour. 

Well we shall see when the next round of festival announcements occur.

anyway, it's good to see that 2021 lineup is finally giving a damn about the future, even knowing that's only due to the circumstances. we have a band that always played there and got the jump to headline in the last 5 years doing it again, wich is great. i really hope that the same that happened with Biffy happens real soon with the likes of BMTH and FFDP

and on the other big hands we have A Day To Remember, Frank Carter, Gojira, Volbeat, Killswitch Engage as big names that can carry the torch for the next years. Deftones and Korn both should have headlined a long time ago but it's good to see them doing the sub again. even with dinosaurs like KISS and defunct bands like SOAD i think this lineup is finaclly moving foward instead of being stuck in the past

8 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

looks like he got a good relationship with Hellfest crew. did Puscifer in 2016, APC in 2018 and Tool in 2019 and will do Puscifer again, on mainstage this time

Guess Download might depend on how much he enjoyed the 2019 Tool set! I think enough Tool and APC fans would wanna see them instead of KISS to make it a good booking. Someone punk or emo on 3rd stage with Electric Wizard on 4th makes a nice variety across the 4 stages. 

2 minutes ago, Hawky said:

What smaller bands do you want to see get announced? 

Twelve Foot Ninja would be good after their set got cut short in 2019. Alien Weaponery back would be awesome too. Devildriver always welcome and get a decent crowd. Rotting Christ would be amazing but thats more Bloodstock. L7 and 3teeth both at Hellfest so yes please to them. 

1 minute ago, Spiral_Low said:

Twelve Foot Ninja would be good after their set got cut short in 2019. Alien Weaponery back would be awesome too. Devildriver always welcome and get a decent crowd. Rotting Christ would be amazing but thats more Bloodstock. L7 and 3teeth both at Hellfest so yes please to them. 

L7 would be fantastic as would Alien Weaponry.  

What about something like ho9909 in a tent?

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Nah, they’ll headline. They’re big enough now. 

We thought this about Korn, ADTR etc. that they'd all headline when they next came back but it doesn't look like it.

I can't see FFDP headlining Donington personally. Same with bands like Parkway Drive, Ghost - as much as I adore them I think they'll get the sub slot and be recycled in that spot for quite a while.

17 minutes ago, R Shah said:

We thought this about Korn, ADTR etc. that they'd all headline when they next came back but it doesn't look like it.

I can't see FFDP headlining Donington personally. Same with bands like Parkway Drive, Ghost - as much as I adore them I think they'll get the sub slot and be recycled in that spot for quite a while.

FFDP are far better suited to headline DL than ADTR. They’re also different to KoRn in that they haven't been stuck in the perennial sub position for 15 years+. They routinely pull the biggest crowds of the weekend. They’ve done a couple of arena tours, including Wembley twice. They’re ready for it. They’re one of the few bands who I believe will actually be given the leg up, along with Parkway Drive and Ghost.

As for smaller bands playing 2021, I’d love to see Code Orange, Spanish Love Songs, Ghostemane, Soulfly, Ingested and Jesus Piece added, most of which are in Europe at the time. Bury Tomorrow on the Main Stage on the Saturday would be a great booking. 

19 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Yep, none of those bands are at the same level as the usual acts who headline Download. If they weren’t willing to give the gig to BMTH, the first ‘heavy’ act in ages to have similar sustained mainstream success and name brand recognition that should warrant a bump up to the top of the lineup, then there’s no way they’re gonna give it to any of those other acts who haven’t broken through outside of the metal market.

Copping has made it pretty clear that he wants his headliners to be huge already assured headliners in their own rights and isn’t really willing to take any risks or give underdogs the leg up. He’s not gonna start with FFDP.

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think there’s every chance next year is BMTH, Maiden and another (Rage?)

But there’s a fractional chance we’ll see BMTH and FFDP leading the line in 2022. One cautious boost will be as good as it gets.

I’ll believe it when I see it with BMTH. They should be the obvious next in line act to do it, but them being constantly absent from the lineup since 2014 doesn’t really bode well, especially if rumours are true that they were offered it in 2016(?) and then asked to step down and sub instead in favour of another act who became available. Maybe that relationship is forever soured.

Edited by FloorFiller

They should have gotten BMTH to headline whilst they were white hot a few years ago and it was harder to deny how popular they were. Enough time has passed for them to have headlined it twice now.

There’s always Def Leppard to fall back on for when they are stuck for headliners.

Edited by jump

I really hope everything aligns and Download manage to book Rage Against The Machine, Iron Maiden, and Rammstein for 2022. Expensive trio surely, so the undercard may suffer, but it wouldn't be significant for me at the point. I'd buy a ticket instantly. 

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ll believe it when I see it with BMTH. They should be the obvious next in line act to do it, but them being constantly absent from the lineup since 2014 doesn’t really bode well, especially if rumours are true that they were offered it in 2016(?) and then asked to step down and sub instead in favour of another act who became available.

I see it slightly different in that BMTH, Ghost, Architects & Parkway Drive haven't been wheeled out every other year so they become stale & stuck in that same slot like Korn, BFMV etc. The intent is there, they just for one reason or another never seem to pull the trigger on them. This year would have been the right time for BMTH, but perhaps Copping didn't want their first time to be tarnished by the 'eugh this isn't a good replacement for Maiden' brigade. 

Five Finger Munch Bunch are slightly different, I can't see them making it to headliner for some reason. 

Either way over the next couple of years they're going to need new headliners. Maiden, Metallica, Leppard etc. are nearing the end & they can't book Slipknot, SOAD & Rammstein every year.