Download 2021

Bandit Tom

Probably already been discussed as I'm a new poster, but what happened to the headliner survey? Were the results ever published? Recognise that we're living in crazy times, but I can't believe that these 3 headliners would have featured heavily at the top of that survey.

10 minutes ago, WANYK44 said:

Probably already been discussed as I'm a new poster, but what happened to the headliner survey? Were the results ever published? Recognise that we're living in crazy times, but I can't believe that these 3 headliners would have featured heavily at the top of that survey.

These surveys area complete waste of time. They might use the answers as a bit of analysis but not a chance any headliners are booked on fans opinions. 

4 minutes ago, Red Day said:

These surveys area complete waste of time. They might use the answers as a bit of analysis but not a chance any headliners are booked on fans opinions. 

Amen to that! I'll go, and have a great time, but having been there in 2017 I could do without another Biffy / SOAD combo. Would definitely like to see some more imaginative bookings. Can put a decent weekend together outside of the headliners.

41 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Yup - I think the NOFX stage was 2nd last year - BFMV were in the tent.

Yeah but I'm struggling to remember which one had more space though. I went to Impericon for Cancer Bats and The Bronx where I went straight into the pit so I didn't get a chance to see the tent properly. You'd think with the lack of alcohol there it would be easier to remember.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I think Bullet For My Valentine would make sense but I can’t see their egos accepting a second stage headline slot, even though that’s exactly where they should be. 

I’d love to see Skunk Anansie headline the 2nd stage on the Friday. Great alternative to KISS, who I have no intention of watching again at DL.

• Like 1

So what's the deal with Frank Carter? No mention of Download on their social media & they're booked to support Green Day on the 4th June in Norway. 

The slot they're playing is usually on around 5/5.30 to 6/6.30, so I can't see any possibility of them playing the set then making it to Norway to open for Green Day...

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Not sure about Skunk Anansie headlining the second stage, seems too much of a stretch, but in the last few years have gotten a lot more respect despite not really growing. At the least old 90s alternative bands are more progressive than old 80s hair rock :P

I think some of their newer stuff is decent, it's getting less soft alternative which seemed to be the focus after their comeback and more rock. This Means War has a cool hard rock groove to it for example;

18 hours ago, WANYK44 said:

Amen to that! I'll go, and have a great time, but having been there in 2017 I could do without another Biffy / SOAD combo. Would definitely like to see some more imaginative bookings. Can put a decent weekend together outside of the headliners.

Totally agree with that.  I'd watch SOAD but not Kiss or Biffy.  I really like how the doghouse is shaping up but it's such a god awful set up in there.  I'd like to see it expanded a bit and located somewhere without creaking your neck to view the stage.

Personally, I can see Frank managing to wrangle them out of one date of the tour with Green Day to play Download. Both he and Dean seemed super pumped about playing the Main Stage on Download TV. It’d be a shame if they can’t play the third down slot they deserve. 

41 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Personally, I can see Frank managing to wrangle them out of one date of the tour with Green Day to play Download. Both he and Dean seemed super pumped about playing the Main Stage on Download TV. It’d be a shame if they can’t play the third down slot they deserve. 

I don't know, he seemed pretty excited to be supporting Green Day too & it doesn't set a very good precedent to pull out of a date with tickets already on sale. It seems odd to me that they haven't put anything on their social media about Download, but they have all the other shows/festivals they've been announced for. 

5 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't know, he seemed pretty excited to be supporting Green Day too & it doesn't set a very good precedent to pull out of a date with tickets already on sale. It seems odd to me that they haven't put anything on their social media about Download, but they have all the other shows/festivals they've been announced for. 

I saw something on reddit and checked it out and it seems to be accurate: On Green Day’s official site, under the tour dates tab, Manic Street Preachers and Frank are both listed as supports for the show that clashes with DL (04/06/2021) but when you click to buy tickets, it takes you to a page with the poster for the show on the 4th (which is sold out) and only the Manics are on the poster as supports. However, if you click to buy tickets for the date before the 4th, both the Manics and Frank are on the poster as supports and when you click for tickets for the date after the 4th, both the Manics and Frank are listed as supports for that date. 

Could be absolutely nothing and that the ticket sites are using different posters but it might be something. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I saw something on reddit and checked it out and it seems to be accurate: On Green Day’s official site, under the tour dates tab, Manic Street Preachers and Frank are both listed as supports for the show that clashes with DL (04/06/2021) but when you click to buy tickets, it takes you to a page with the poster for the show on the 4th (which is sold out) and only the Manics are on the poster as supports. However, if you click to buy tickets for the date before the 4th, both the Manics and Frank are on the poster as supports and when you click for tickets for the date after the 4th, both the Manics and Frank are listed as supports for that date. 

Could be absolutely nothing and that the ticket sites are using different posters but it might be something. 

Could be, Frank Carter's Facebook page posted that they'd be playing on the Norway date though & has it listed under events too. Strange situation whatever ends up happening. Hopefully they aren't double booked & pull out of Download, that would be a big loss. 

12 minutes ago, Pisces Iscariot said:

So we’ve still got the Friday 2nd stage headliner and Avalanche headliners for Friday and Sunday to be announced. Any ideas who they could be?

My current guess for the Friday Second Stage headliner is Dropkick Murphys. They subbed that stage last time they played Download and have since sold out Ally Pally. I think them back to back with The Distillers would be a great night. 

On the Avalanche Stage, I’m expecting Corey Taylor to headline one of the nights on pretty much name value alone, much like Simple Creatures did last year. As for the other night, perhaps Billy Talent (they’re in Europe at the time) or maybe PVRIS or someone else a bit more ‘Rocksound’.  

Other than the Saturday lineup, the Avalanche at the moment is looking weak as hell. 

Edited by Andre91

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

My current guess for the Friday Second Stage headliner is Dropkick Murphys. They subbed that stage last time they played Download and have since sold out Ally Pally. I think them back to back with The Distillers would be a great night. 

On the Avalanche Stage, I’m expecting Corey Taylor to headline one of the nights on pretty much name value alone, much like Simple Creatures did last year. As for the other night, perhaps Billy Talent (they’re in Europe at the time) or maybe PVRIS or someone else a bit more ‘Rocksound’.  

Other than the Saturday lineup, the Avalanche at the moment is looking weak as hell. 

Dropkick Murphys would be a lot of fun! Yeah I’m not overly impressed with the Avalanche stage.  I’ve only been to two Downloads but the previous two years on the avalanche have been really solid for me. Overall I’m pretty happy with the lineup though.

32 minutes ago, Pisces Iscariot said:

So we’ve still got the Friday 2nd stage headliner and Avalanche headliners for Friday and Sunday to be announced. Any ideas who they could be?

2nd stage Puscifer. They are subbing at Hellfest 2 weeks later. Placebo an outside bet, doing festival circuit. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Billy Talent are doing SD again.

The Avalanche is suffering from SD, they will always get a better shot at SD given that festival is centered around it. Download will get the bands on a year they've either played SD before or are not wanted by them.

As for Dropkicks, that might just sell a Friday ticket as I want to see Lacuna Coil and The Distillers. Why they would clash Distillers and ADTR I'm not sure but someone has to clash. Sunday run might be the best run I've had since Download 11 and then it was only really Gaslight, Disturbed and Linkin Park, obviously the latter being my main pull.

22 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Not impressed by guesses of BFMV as second stage headliners. Just feels so done, especially against KISS. Distillers and Dropkicks will be a great combo. Hoping that's a winning prediction.

Any Friday night option after Electric Wizard will be tough, but rowdy punk > scorching darkness > rowdy punk would be fun few hours.

Talking about done, I realized they've just copied Reading with Frank Carter and ADTR too.

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Surely Skunk Anansie aren’t nearly big or popular enough to headline second stage?!

Well, personal choice, isn’t it. Agree it may not happen, but i think they’d be great, and have the catalogue of songs to fill a 2nd stage headline slot.

4 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

2nd stage Puscifer. They are subbing at Hellfest 2 weeks later. Placebo an outside bet, doing festival circuit. 

There's no reason they'd be held back if they've already announced European shows. It'll be someone yet to announce EU festival shows. 

Same with Dropkick Murphy's, subbing Hellfest (I think) they would've been announced for DL yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if BFMV didn't play DL ever again, they're not going to get the slots they believe they deserve (sub / headline). I don't even think they're big enough to headline 2nd.

I'd love it to be Architects but I think it's more likely going to be someone like FFDP.