Download 2021

Bandit Tom

7 hours ago, dannymichaels said:

Does this rule out BMTH for Download or are they free for one of the days?

Heard rumours they (and Architects) are actively avoiding Download for whatever reason.

The BMTH rumour is they were scheduled to headline DL, then Rammstein came available then headlined DL and BMTH were then asked to sub Rammstein and politely said fuck off and haven't been back since.

Machine Head are probably back in the running now, but sadly for the wrong reason. They posted today about having to cancel rearranged gigs due to the ongoing pandemic. In the statement Robb Flynn says: 'As I have implied to you all, we lost a staggering amount of money on the US tour, money we were hoping to make up on the 2nd EU run''

Obviously before they weren't doing fests and were doing their own dates. But pretty clear they need to make cash when they can so wouldn't be surprised to see they do a festival run as they would get decent slots around Europe and make some money doing it.

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Machine Head are probably back in the running now, but sadly for the wrong reason. They posted today about having to cancel rearranged gigs due to the ongoing pandemic. In the statement Robb Flynn says: 'As I have implied to you all, we lost a staggering amount of money on the US tour, money we were hoping to make up on the 2nd EU run''

Obviously before they weren't doing fests and were doing their own dates. But pretty clear they need to make cash when they can so wouldn't be surprised to see they do a festival run as they would get decent slots around Europe and make some money doing it.

That’s interesting. Part of me still thinks they’ll avoid festivals but I would love to see them subbing the main stage or headlining the zippo. They should have headlined in 2008. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 8:34 AM, Andre91 said:

Just to back up @Frankly Mr Shankly’s above point, I’ve been going to Leeds Festival since 2010. In that time (2010-2020), they have had 19 headliners make their first appearance headlining the festival, 14 of which could be considered as ‘first time headliners’ making the step up to headline any UK festival at the time. 

Download, in that same period, has had 9 headliners make their first appearance headlining Download but only one (Avenged Sevenfold in 2014) that could be considered a ‘first time headliner’ in the UK. 

I’m going to avoid talking about future headliners and Download from now on because I find it exhausting. Everyone knows they don’t care about making headliners for the future, everyone knows they don’t do enough to ensure they have a bigger pool of headliners for the future and until they start doing stuff to indicate they do, there’s nothing to talk about. 

I’ve absolutely no idea why Multi-genre-Reading Festival has more options than rock-orientated Download.

I think Iron Maiden will either do Download or their own date. I dont think they will miss out the UK entirely. So with that in mind:

Main stage headliners remain the same: KISS, Iron Maiden, System Of A Down

Subs: Deftones, Korn, Machine Head

3rd: Gojira, Volbeat, Steel Panther

2nd stage headliners: The Offspring, Puscifer, Killswitch Engage

On 7/28/2020 at 8:34 AM, Andre91 said:

Just to back up @Frankly Mr Shankly’s above point, I’ve been going to Leeds Festival since 2010. In that time (2010-2020), they have had 19 headliners make their first appearance headlining the festival, 14 of which could be considered as ‘first time headliners’ making the step up to headline any UK festival at the time. 

Download, in that same period, has had 9 headliners make their first appearance headlining Download but only one (Avenged Sevenfold in 2014) that could be considered a ‘first time headliner’ in the UK. 

I’m going to avoid talking about future headliners and Download from now on because I find it exhausting. Everyone knows they don’t care about making headliners for the future, everyone knows they don’t do enough to ensure they have a bigger pool of headliners for the future and until they start doing stuff to indicate they do, there’s nothing to talk about. 

Personally, 9 new headliners in 10 years doesn’t seem too bad to me considering their options.

Also, if you go back a year there were three headlining for the first time so it’s 12 new headliners for the festival in 11 years.

Obviously it doesn’t look so good if you want to look at the ‘first time ever headlining in the U.K’ angle but I’m not sure whether the band have headlined previously at a different festival in the past bothers the average Download punter that much.

Edited by rivalschools.price

11 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’ve absolutely no idea why Multi-genre-Reading Festival has more options than rock-orientated Download.

Well yeah, obviously they have a bigger pool to choose from. The comment was about Download doing nothing to widen their pool. 

10 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Even if you consider this argument then there's still Green Day, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stone Age, Fall Out Boy and probably Blink 182 (maybe not so much now) as a short list that Reading have had since Download started that they've not booked for various reasons that wouldn't have looked out of place.

1 minute ago, dannymichaels said:

It's gonna be Kiss/Biffy/SOAD isn't it? With 95% the same bands we were expecting this year...

Even though 2021 probably would've had something like RATM/MCR/Metallica if not for COVID.

The latter trio would be best they've had. For personal taste, I love Biffy and SOAD so as much as its horrible not getting Rage, MCR and Metallica, I will still happily see those headliners. 

54 minutes ago, dannymichaels said:

It's gonna be Kiss/Biffy/SOAD isn't it? With 95% the same bands we were expecting this year...

Even though 2021 probably would've had something like RATM/MCR/Metallica if not for COVID.

I think Rammstein want to do festivals once they've done the next round of stadium dates. They said before they were planning mix of stadiums and festivals and obvs stadiums went well so expanded them. So could of been them.

Edited by Spiral_Low

6 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I don't think it's a co-incidence that Biffy just dropped a new track today – get them back in people's minds before the weekend, ready for Monday's announce. Feels like that just stepped up an extra level of likelihood.

How the hell can that be played at Download though?, it'll get a worse reaction than last time. Honestly they are better off giving it to BMTH if Maiden are out.

27 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Get Biffy and FNM or NIN to co-headline. Protect their backs with a more commercial option, but bring a rare booking out to shore up complaints. Badabing.

There’s no point in co-headliners at a one site festival. Faith No More subbed in 2015 so would sub again. Nine Inch Nails have no chance of being there imo but if they were, I could see them subbing also. 

39 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There’s no point in co-headliners at a one site festival. Faith No More subbed in 2015 so would sub again. Nine Inch Nails have no chance of being there imo but if they were, I could see them subbing also. 

Yeah I agree no point to co-headliners, though I can imagine Download might try it once or twice and then give up. NIN i'd love to see there but i'd be shocked if they were. 

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah I agree no point to co-headliners, though I can imagine Download might try it once or twice and then give up. NIN i'd love to see there but i'd be shocked if they were. 

Nine Inch Nails would go down so well but I think they’d probably want a headline slot. I believe they were initially lineup up for All Points East 2020 but Trent’s partner is due to have a baby so they pulled out. If anything, I think they’ll be likely for APE 2021 if that’s the case. 

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

Am I right in saying that if Biffy play next year they would have played Download more than any other band?

Ooh you could be right. When they played in 2017, they were tied with KoRn, so with KoRn playing they’ll be level still.