Download 2021

Bandit Tom

46 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s not a like-for-like replacement. It’s not as if Maiden are dropping out and being replaced the very same year. They’ve said they will give priority to bands who can come back over for 2021 and not all bands can. Maiden won’t be the only band unable to return but they will be the biggest. People will attend Download next year regardless of who headlines. 

I'm still not 100% certain Maiden are out, sure they've put that statement out about festival dates but their tour starts a week after Download & still doesn't include any UK dates. It's not as if they'd release a statement saying 'we didn't rearrange any of our festival dates apart from 1 which we can't announce yet'. So until Download announces or specifically releases something to say Maiden won't be there I'm not ruling them out completely. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah im still half expecting Maiden to turn up tbh. But I still think if they don't and its Biffy or BMTH that will go down badly. 

Kind of feel that Download holding off is more about seeing how likely it is festivals will happen in June than about bands. Even if UK and Europe are somehow good, the US is being ravaged by the virus.....who knows when Americans will be allowed into Europe? (Relevant given the number of US bands who play of course)

Edited by Spiral_Low

23 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah im still half expecting Maiden to turn up tbh. But I still think if they don't and its Biffy or BMTH that will go down badly. 

I agree with this, but if Maiden are out I can see people complaining regardless of who replaces them. Even if they managed to book Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam, I can still see complaints of 'they're not metal', 'should have been Slipknot/Metallica/Rammstein to replace Maiden' etc.

The festival can only book whats available to them at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I agree with this, but if Maiden are out I can see people complaining regardless of who replaces them. Even if they managed to book Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam, I can still see complaints of 'they're not metal', 'should have been Slipknot/Metallica/Rammstein to replace Maiden' etc.

The festival can only book whats available to them at the end of the day.

True that. 

lineup prediction after Hellfest and Nova Rock announcements

Friday

Main: KISS / Bullet For My Valentine  / Volbeat  / The Darkness / Airbourne / Theory / WayWard Sons

Zippo Encore: The Offspring / Babymetal

Avalanche: Creeper

Dogtooth: Sepultura

Saturday

Main: BRING ME THE HORIZON / Deftones / Gojira / The Pretty Reckless / Suicidal Tendencies / Northlane / Suicide Silence / Loathe

Zippo Encore: Killswitch Engage / Puscifer

Avalanche: Funeral For A Friend

Dogtooth: Electric Wizard

Sunday

Main: SYSTEM OF A DOWN / Korn / Disturbed / Heaven Shall Burn / Of Mice & Men / Code Orange / Jinjer / Ego Kill Talent

Zippo Encore: Sabaton / Rival Sons

Avalanche: Poppy

Dogtooth: Exodus

Main BRING ME THE HORIZON / Deftones / Bullet For My Valentine / Rise Against / Code Orange / Of Mice & Men / Loathe

2nd : The Offspring 

Main : SYSTEM OF A DOWN / KoRn / Limp Bizkit / Bury Tomorrow / Heaven Shall Burn / Motionless In White / Northlane / I Prevail

2nd : Sabaton

Main : KISS / Deep Purple / Volbeat / Airbourne / The Darkness / Theory / Stone Broken / Kill The Lights 

2nd : Killswitch Engage

KISS / Deftones / Gojira / Black Veil Brides / Motionless In White 

The Offspring / The Distillers 

Bring Me The Horizon OR Biffy Clyro / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes/ Bullet For My Valentine/ Rise Against / The Pretty Reckless 

Killswitch Engage / While She Sleeps 

System Of A Down / KoRn / Volbeat / Dropkick Murphys  / Alestorm  

Steel Panther / The Darkness 

26 minutes ago, deckchair92 said:

Bring Me The Horizon OR Biffy Clyro / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes/ Bullet For My Valentine/ Rise Against / The Pretty Reckless 

I'd rather Rise Against did their own date but I can see more bands at the minute avoiding them. Get Lacuna Coil back on Friday. I don't think Dropkicks will be as high as 4th main stage personally.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'd rather Rise Against did their own date but I can see more bands at the minute avoiding them. Get Lacuna Coil back on Friday. I don't think Dropkicks will be as high as 4th main stage personally.

Ah forgot about Lacuna, as for Dropkicks last time they played they subbed 2nd stage, and they played Ally Pally in February, I'd have thought they'd be good 4th down

4 minutes ago, deckchair92 said:

Ah forgot about Lacuna, as for Dropkicks last time they played they subbed 2nd stage, and they played Ally Pally in February, I'd have thought they'd be good 4th down

I wouldn't complain about it, I'd rather it be them than Babymetal as more for me then. A day of POD, Dropkicks, Volbeat, Disturbed and SOAD is fine by me. It's a shame Distubed may not be there given it was their 2nd year touring as it was.

1 hour ago, deckchair92 said:

Looks almost identical to a lineup I posted on the DL forums ;) you’ve just swapped BFMV and Frank around :ninja: 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I wouldn't complain about it, I'd rather it be them than Babymetal as more for me then. A day of POD, Dropkicks, Volbeat, Disturbed and SOAD is fine by me. It's a shame Distubed may not be there given it was their 2nd year touring as it was.

Disturbed are on Rock Am Ring and Nova Rock so they are around

15 minutes ago, Aech said:

Surely it's about time they got Architects back, don't understand how a festival that repeats acts like download does isn't booking the best British metal band out there atm. Surely they're not gonna sit on them until they headline.

I read a post somewhere (which could as easily be bollocks as it could be true) that said Architects don’t want to play ‘metal’ festivals like Download. I think it’s bollocks personally because they play metal festivals the world over. 

They certainly are a glaring omission though in recent years. They are so far overdue an appearance. They pulled out in 2016 which means they haven’t played since 2013, I believe. They should absolutely have subbed by now. They’re certainly big enough after selling out Ally Pally and selling Wembley well. I do think they’re a future headliner but I’m surprised year on year that they aren’t booked. Architects merch has been by far one of the most worn over Download weekend over the last few years. In 2018/2019, it felt like you couldn’t walk 5m without seeing a t-shirt, a hat, a tank, a windbreaker. They’d pull a massive crowd. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I read a post somewhere (which could as easily be bollocks as it could be true) that Architects don’t want to play ‘metal’ festivals like Download. I think it’s bollocks personally because they play metal festivals the world over. 

They certainly are a glaring omission though in recent years. They are so far overdue an appearance. They pulled out in 2016 which means they haven’t played since 2013, I believe. They should absolutely have subbed by now. They’re certainly big enough after selling out Ally Pally and selling Wembley well. 

I'll never understand the thought process behind booking KISS twice and not BMTH or Architects, two hugely popular British metal bands (well BMTH not so much metal nowadays) that have risen massively within that time. I think it's time Andy Copping let's someone younger than 50 book acts for the main stage.

28 minutes ago, Aech said:

I'll never understand the thought process behind booking KISS twice and not BMTH or Architects, two hugely popular British metal bands (well BMTH not so much metal nowadays) that have risen massively within that time. I think it's time Andy Copping let's someone younger than 50 book acts for the main stage.

Some of the interviews over Download TV weekend were interesting as they revealed that Andy is in sole charge of booking headliners, whilst the rest of the booking team does the rest of the lineup (with his input too, obviously) but he is the only one who chooses the headliners. I think it shows too that he is such a big fan of ‘classic rock’ and Monsters of Rock bands with the amount of times we’ve seen KISS, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden and Aerosmith etc booked. 

Edited by Andre91

On 7/24/2020 at 9:37 PM, Andre91 said:

Some of the interviews over Download TV weekend were interesting as they revealed that Andy is in sole charge of booking headliners, whilst the rest of the booking team does the rest of the lineup (with his input too, obviously) but he is the only one who chooses the headliners. I think it shows too that he is such a big fan of ‘classic rock’ and Monsters of Rock bands with the amount of times we’ve seen KISS, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden and Aerosmith etc booked. 

Over DL near 20 year history, Maiden have only played four times, thats joint top with Linkin Park and Slipknot on how frequent they headline. Def Leppard and Aerosmith have played 3 times and Kiss is only twice. IMO, the problem is how frequent these bands are Becoming in the last decade. It's the same with SOAD, 2020 would have been their 4th time in total headlining, all three of 2020 headliners would have been booked twice since 2015, and SOAD show in 2017 is still very fresh. Maybe 2020 gave him a limited pool of headliners for one reason or another, but AC does throw out some variety in his choices. Since I started going in 2015 he brought in some "never headlined download" artists in Muse and Biffy Clyro, so it can happen. MoR bands bring in an older crowd, the likes of SOAD/Slipknot bring in my generation, so I think we need the mixture of classic and the not so old bands to bring in the 10s of 1000s of people. Bringing Tool back after 10 years was a solid booking, that's the type of gap between headliners we need. AC/DC would be another one as they have only headlined Download once. My point, after rambling, we do get a good mixture of new, old and not too old, but the bands are coming back to quickly. 

3 hours ago, LDE_90 said:

Over DL near 20 year history, Maiden have only played four times, thats joint top with Linkin Park and Slipknot on how frequent they headline. Def Leppard and Aerosmith have played 3 times and Kiss is only twice. IMO, the problem is how frequent these bands are Becoming in the last decade. It's the same with SOAD, 2020 would have been their 4th time in total headlining, all three of 2020 headliners would have been booked twice since 2015, and SOAD show in 2017 is still very fresh. Maybe 2020 gave him a limited pool of headliners for one reason or another, but AC does throw out some variety in his choices. Since I started going in 2015 he brought in some "never headlined download" artists in Muse and Biffy Clyro, so it can happen. MoR bands bring in an older crowd, the likes of SOAD/Slipknot bring in my generation, so I think we need the mixture of classic and the not so old bands to bring in the 10s of 1000s of people. Bringing Tool back after 10 years was a solid booking, that's the type of gap between headliners we need. AC/DC would be another one as they have only headlined Download once. My point, after rambling, we do get a good mixture of new, old and not too old, but the bands are coming back to quickly. 

It's well noticed on here that it's the amount of times bands have been booked in recent succession but that won't change. SOAD force, 05, 11, 17 and would have been 20. The reason for a larger gap in earlier years being they weren't a band. You can be sure if it was possible he'd have snuck them in, in either 08 or 14 most likely.

You only have to look at Slipknot, 4 times in 10 years and 2 of those were only 4 year gaps with 1 being a 2 year gap.