Download 2021

Bandit Tom

On 6/22/2020 at 9:41 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Edit: forgot to add, they also pulled out in 08 because they wanted to book their own shows alongside headlining & the festival wouldn't allow it. So they chose to do their own thing. 

This is the main reason they’ve probably not done it. They want to come here and do a string of shows. Not one night in download. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This is the main reason they’ve probably not done it. They want to come here and do a string of shows. Not one night in download. 

Download won't hold them to complete exclusivity. In 2008 when Foo Fighters were playing their first stadium shows it might have been a frightening prospect but every tour since I'm sure it wouldn't have been an issue.

I think the next tour will either be stadiums then Download in two years or stadiums and Download in one. There are no other festivals apparent for them to play next time they're here.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Download won't hold them to complete exclusivity. In 2008 when Foo Fighters were playing their first stadium shows it might have been a frightening prospect but every tour since I'm sure it wouldn't have been an issue.

I think the next tour will either be stadiums then Download in two years or stadiums and Download in one. There are no other festivals apparent for them to play next time they're here.

Eh!? if the foos are coming here they are doing stadiums. Download won’t let them do stadiums and download in the same summer.

Or... if instead of not letting them, they just won’t book them. Huge risk of them not selling as many tickets as their fans will just go to the stadium shows.

Edited by Matt42

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Eh!? if the foos are coming here they are doing stadiums. Download won’t let them do stadiums and download in the same summer.

Or... if instead of not letting them, they just won’t book them. Huge risk of them not selling as many tickets as their fans will just go to the stadium shows.

Honestly I think it's got to the point now where Download would be dumb as hell to enforce such a policy on acts like Foo Fighters. Regardless of their own shows, they'd be a huge ticket seller. But like dental says, if they want to do stadiums then Download is the logical next stop for them on the UK festival scene the following year what with there no longer being a breadth of options and them not long having done both R/L and Glastonbury. New album + stadiums next year - Download 2022 would be my guess.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Honestly I think it's got to the point now where Download would be dumb as hell to enforce such a policy on acts like Foo Fighters. Regardless of their own shows, they'd be a huge ticket seller. But like dental says, if they want to do stadiums then Download is the logical next stop for them on the UK festival scene the following year what with there no longer being a breadth of options and them not long having done both R/L and Glastonbury. New album + stadiums next year - Download 2022 would be my guess.

I just can’t see them coming to the U.K. just for download though. Glasto and R&L yes, but I feel they’d try and package something together with download which would ultimately piss of copping.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just can’t see them coming to the U.K. just for download though. Glasto and R&L yes, but I feel they’d try and package something together with download which would ultimately piss of copping.

Depends how flexible both sides are willing to be. There's no reason why Foo's couldn't do stadiums in London & Edinburgh for example and still headline Download on the same run. But if it was a full UK stadium run then I can't see it.

53 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Depends how flexible both sides are willing to be. There's no reason why Foo's couldn't do stadiums in London & Edinburgh for example and still headline Download on the same run. But if it was a full UK stadium run then I can't see it.

They normally do a mixture across a two-year cycle though. So the full UK stadium tour could happen one year and Download could happen next. Or Download could happen with some other stadium shows and then more stadium shows the next.

I really think they'd be willing to be flexible with the Foo Fighters though. They top the community poll ever year, right? It's not about selling day tickets to Foo Fighters fans, it's about drawing weekend sales from lapsed Download-goers or activating interest from folk who've always been curious about the fest but it's always been a bit too metal or something.

It's the same with Reading and Leeds; I remember there used to be a thing about stadium shows meaning no R+L but - despite it being true of most headliners - they're willing to bend the rule when there' a big enough name.

BMTH, Royal Blood, Enter Shikari, Idles, Ghostemane, Creeper, Crossfaith, Employed To Serve Zippo: Mailryn Manson, Avalanche: Frank Turner, Against Me Dogtooth: Carpenter Brut, Pertubator

FOO FIGHTERS, Deftones, Architects, Nothing But Thevies, The Hives, Filter, Dinosaur Pile-Up, Puppy Zippo: Sabaton, Anthrax Avalanche: New Found Glory, Violent Soho Dogtooth: Ho9909, Greg Puciato 

KISS, Alter Bridge, Gojira, Mastodon, Skindred, The Hu, Bokassa, Those Damn Crows Zippo: The Offspring, Neck Deep Avalanche: Refused, Therapy? Dogtooth: Deafheaven, Imperial Trumphant

Edited by Alex Winstone
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

BMTH, Royal Blood, Enter Shikari, Idles, Ghostemane, Creeper, Crossfaith, Employed To Serve Zippo: Mailryn Manson, Avalanche: Frank Turner, Against Me Dogtooth: Carpenter Brut, Pertubator

FOO FIGHTERS, Deftones, Architects, Nothing But Thevies, The Hives, Filter, Dinosaur Pile-Up, Puppy Zippo: Sabaton, Anthrax Avalanche: New Found Glory, Violent Soho Dogtooth: Ho9909, Greg Puciato 

KISS, Alter Bridge, Gojira, Mastodon, Skindred, The Hu, Bokassa, Those Damn Crows Zippo: The Offspring, Neck Deep Avalanche: Refused, Therapy? Dogtooth: Deafheaven, Imperial Trumphant

stick Frank Carter in there and you’ve got an absolutely insane lineup man

4 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

this lineup is so good and fresh, so it will never happen

31 minutes ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Profile Picture and Cover Photo updated on Facebook. Maybe looking into it too much, but I reckon an announcement is not too far off at all.

If we get an announcement soon the majority of the lineup will probably be 2020 bands.

I wasn't impressed with this year's lineup, either.

Edited by dannymichaels

2 hours ago, dannymichaels said:

If we get an announcement soon the majority of the lineup will probably be 2020 bands.

I wasn't impressed with this year's lineup, either.

The Sunday was the only day that really appealed to me, although there were a couple of good bands sprinkled on the other days. Much as I like SOAD, I think they are a boring booking however. Would still like to see them one day.

The main change will be who replaces Maiden. A really good one could convince me to go for the weekend (Foo Fighters/BMTH/Biffy).

But agreed, I thought this years lineup was disappointing (saying that, I personally thought 2019 was a poor lineup too, which is a shame, because I thought 2018 was unreal).

Don't 100% rule out Iron Maiden. Like yeah they said they couldn't reschedule festival dates. But they have left Download weekend free...could be the exception to the rule as would be odd of them to do a European tour and no UK date. Unless anyone has seen anywhere where they or Download specifically said no Download?