Download 2021

Bandit Tom

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

It wasn't two Main Stages at Download. It was a Main Stage and then an even bigger stage that nobody else was allowed to play all weekend. That is totally different to, say, Hellfest which has two actual Main Stages. 

As for 'I doubt he even remembers it', this is Donington we're talking about. Dave Grohl will have likely grown up watching videos of bands he loved playing there and was probably at least a little bit stoked he was getting to finally play there after being in bands for so many years, only to be relegated to a side stage and greeted with apathy from most and hostility by a minority. I would definitely bet that he remembers it and that is why Download hasn't ever convinced, nor probably ever will convince, the Foo Fighters that playing their festival is a better option than Reading and Glastonbury etc. 

I was at the festival, I'm aware of what it was, but to anyone playing it was no different to playing a festival with a two stage setup - pretty standard. Also, even if other bands had been playing on the that stage, TCV would likely have still been on the tradional mainstage if they alternated the bands. (Also just as a side point but it was actually the ACDC stage that was to the side & it was the same size). If Dave held a grudge about that why would he continue to cover ACDC songs & lend his broken leg chair to Axl... TCV getting a mild reaction was to be expected, they were a new band playing high up because of who the members were. 

Anyway break down the years when Foos realistically could have played since 2010...

2011: IOW & MK Bowl shows

2012: toured Europe in Aug, played R&L

2013: didn't tour Europe 

2014: sporadic tour dates late in the year 

2015: Glastonbury (Cancelled) 

2016: didn't tour 

2017: Glastonbury (to make up for 15) 

2018: Played stadium shows 

2019: toured Europe in later summer, played R&L

So realistically that leaves 2011 & 2018 as the main two options. As far as I can see from the dates it seems the only thing holding them back from headlining is Download's policy of their headliners not having any other shows booked & them having other viable options that a lot of Download headliners don't. But that's just my opinion of course, it could be that Dave holds a 10 year grudge about one of his favourite bands playing on a different stage. 

Edit: forgot to add, they also pulled out in 08 because they wanted to book their own shows alongside headlining & the festival wouldn't allow it. So they chose to do their own thing. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If Dave held a grudge about that why would he continue to cover ACDC songs & lend his broken leg chair to Axl. 

Because the problem isn't AC/DC, its that Download as a festival shoved them on a side stage and the Download crowd was shit for his set. His experience at Download was likely far from what was expected. 

Like you said, it could be this, it also couldn't, I just really do think that it has played a part.

Edited by Andre91

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Because the problem isn't AC/DC, its that Download as a festival shoved them on a side stage and the Download crowd was shit for his set. 

Ok, lets just ignore the facts & logic & go with that ridiculous answer. 

Edit: I quoted this & replied before you edited your post.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Ok, lets just ignore the facts & logic & go with that ridiculous answer. 

No need to be rude. 

It isn't ridiculous, it is perfectly possible. I'm not saying it is some deep-deated grudge, more a 'Download? It was shitty last time, let's go elsewhere.' 

You said earlier that they would have likely done it in 2017 if not for Glastonbury, what do you have to back that up? Because that's just theorising the same as I am, not being 'ridiculous'. 

Edited by Andre91

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

No need to be rude. 

It isn't ridiculous, it is perfectly possible. I'm not saying it is some deep-deated grudge, more a 'Download? It was shitty last time, let's go elsewhere.' 

You said earlier that they would have likely done it in 2017 if not for Glastonbury, what do you have to back that up? Because that's just theorising the same as I am, not being 'ridiculous'. 

I edited my comment to show I had replied to you before you edited your comment to make it more reasonable. Initially you ignored everything I said bar one comment that you chose to back up your argument.  

I actually got the dates mixed up there, I was thinking 2017 was the year they played Download Paris, but that was 2018. 

I was just about to mention Download Paris. I know it’s a different country but I don’t know why they’d shirk them in one country and work with them in another. It would have to be a grudge they have against the crowd then, a crowd of people in 2010.

Gotta agree with everyone who says they just have better options. But those options are dwindling now so I think they’re gonna be at Download very soon.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's quite sinking in that Dave has said multiple times how much he loves Reading. The point is that they can schedule a tour here when they want and if I remember correctly the last time came out of the blue. I genuinely think Dave would schedule around Reading whereas a year when they accepted to do Glastonbury they could have played Download instead of Muse and a KISS repeat. We are also forgetting that FF have been plenty big enough to headline before 2010, but the difference is just like with QOTSA that TCV wouldn't have got that slot at Reading. 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think it's quite sinking in that Dave has said multiple times how much he loves Reading. The point is that they can schedule a tour here when they want and if I remember correctly the last time came out of the blue. I genuinely think Dave would schedule around Reading whereas a year when they accepted to do Glastonbury they could have played Download instead of Muse and a KISS repeat. We are also forgetting that FF have been plenty big enough to headline before 2010, but the difference is just like with QOTSA that TCV wouldn't have got that slot at Reading. 

Of course he loves Reading, he has history with it. Just like Maiden etc. do with Download. But that doesn't translate to him disliking Download & never wanting to play it. They can't do Reading every year. 

QOTSA subbed R&L in 2010 & headlined it in 2014. What are you talking about. 

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Of course he loves Reading, he has history with it. Just like Maiden etc. do with Download. But that doesn't translate to him disliking Download & never wanting to play it. They can't do Reading every year. 

QOTSA subbed R&L in 2010 & headlined it in 2014. What are you talking about. 

Yes but FF have been able to headline everything on the planet for years whereas the only time QOTSA got a slot was sharing it. FF can choose what they want. That's what into talking about, it really isn't hard.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:35 PM, Pottsy2913 said:

Indeed, they were class at Leeds. Could see them potentially going down quite well at Download, but for some reason, I just can't see them ever doing it. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Sorry just catching up but 21P have played Download already. I remember watching them quite early on a Friday on 2nd stage. Was quite nice weather so probably 13 or 14.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, thewayiam said:

As you say, he's full of shit. I like the bloke about as much as Boris Johnson.

However, you are not going to get a Sabaton or Halestorm sub.

Halestorm sub next time they play.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, Andre91 said:

Also, Dave Grohl has played Download once before and he was met with a terrible reception as part of Them Crooked Vultures. They were stuck on a side stage and weren’t even allowed to stand on the same stage as the headliners at Donnington that day. You’re telling me that hasn’t played a part in Download failing to get the Foo Fighters? When you think about it, why on earth would Dave Grohl want to return to a festival where he was treated like that when he can just take the Foos to Reading and get a heroes welcome every time or do their own stadium shows. 

Side stage lols. They played the same stage as Rage and Aerosmith and the rest of the bill. It was as big as the ACDC stage. The crowd were flat because TCV were shyte and most of the crowd were just there to kill time before ACDC. TCV was a self indulgent side project that fell on its arse. Pretty sure Foos will play at some stage and that day in 2010 will have no bearing on the decision to play or not.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, devilman said:

Side stage lols. They played the same stage as Rage and Aerosmith and the rest of the bill. It was as big as the ACDC stage. The crowd were flat because TCV were shyte and most of the crowd were just there to kill time before ACDC. TCV was a self indulgent side project that fell on its arse. Pretty sure Foos will play at some stage and that day in 2010 will have no bearing on the decision to play or not.

Yeah to be fair TCV were in their sub position because of who was in the band and nothing else so it’s no surprise the crowd didn’t warm to their setlist full of non-bangers that nobody knew. Should’ve never been so high up a major festival lineup, but it’s almost always the case with these kinds of side projects. 

Considering Foos are hot off the back of headlining both Glastonbury and Reading/Leeds and TITP is gone and IOW has fallen off you’d think their next festival run would be the time for them to do Download if it was ever gonna happen. Outside of their usual stadium jaunts there isn’t anything left for them here now.

2 hours ago, devilman said:

Sorry just catching up but 21P have played Download already. I remember watching them quite early on a Friday on 2nd stage. Was quite nice weather so probably 13 or 14.

Ah yeah, should have been more clear sorry, I meant headlining the thing. It was 2014 (my favourite ever Download lineup actually!).

2 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Ah yeah, should have been more clear sorry, I meant headlining the thing. It was 2014 (my favourite ever Download lineup actually!).

Not in the next decade anyway. Aye 14 was a great line up and weather was pretty much perfect too. It not being too busy added to the experience too. If Downloaders knew it would be the last chance to see Linkin Park with Chester it would have been rammed.

Whether you like them or not BMTH should get the headline spot over Biffy, or at the very least co-headline with them. They've been considered a headliner since 2016 yet we still see the same recycled bands. Kiss and SOAD should skip 2021 as well for headliners that were booked in advance... 

BMTH - New 'wildcard' band since 2021 will have a huge turnout regardless who headlines

Foo Fighters - New 'established' band that would no doubt draw a huge turnout in day tickets alone

Aerosmith - Can't have Download without a recycled dinosaur band on their "last ever tour"

6 hours ago, strangerkings said:

Whether you like them or not BMTH should get the headline spot over Biffy, or at the very least co-headline with them. They've been considered a headliner since 2016 yet we still see the same recycled bands. Kiss and SOAD should skip 2021 as well for headliners that were booked in advance... 

BMTH - New 'wildcard' band since 2021 will have a huge turnout regardless who headlines

Foo Fighters - New 'established' band that would no doubt draw a huge turnout in day tickets alone

Aerosmith - Can't have Download without a recycled dinosaur band on their "last ever tour"

BMTH should definitely get a headline slot because Download needs as many new headliners as possible at this stage - it's ridiculous that they weren't given the gig after That's the Spirit. Their booking will always receive a hell of a lot of flack from Download regulars, but they're the obvious next one in line (or at least should've been - whether that time has passed is another thing).

Saying that, I don't see them getting the gig next year as a replacement for Iron Maiden. If there's one way to make their headliner booking even more infuriating for Download attendees, it's for them to be the act that steps in for their beloved Maiden.

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

BMTH should definitely get a headline slot because Download needs as many new headliners as possible at this stage - it's ridiculous that they weren't given the gig after That's the Spirit. Their booking will always receive a hell of a lot of flack from Download regulars, but they're the obvious next one in line (or at least should've been - whether that time has passed is another thing).

Saying that, I don't see them getting the gig next year as a replacement for Iron Maiden. If there's one way to make their headliner booking even more infuriating for Download attendees, it's for them to be the act that steps in for their beloved Maiden.

It cries out with as you say, you replaced Maiden with BMTH. If Biffy were doing it and couldn't then the Download regular haven't got a band that attracts the biggest masses anyway.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

If there's one way to make their headliner booking even more infuriating for Download attendees, it's for them to be the act that steps in for their beloved Maiden.

I agree, from a pr perspective that isn't a good move for the band or the festival. 

I do think whoever 'steps in' for Maiden may have a hard time though, unless it's Metallica, Slipknot etc. 

Whilst I agree that BMTH should have headlined on That’s The Spirit, part of me is glad they didn’t because their live performance was ropey back then to say the least. They used backing tracks galore and the bits that Oli did sing sounded pretty awful. If they had turned up to Download and headlined like that, it would have been panned. 

Compare that to their last tour and APE, they’re a different band and Oli has definitely restored his voice and is sounded really great again. If they headlined and we’re as impressive as they were at APE, it’d go down far better. 

I’m genuinely quite excited for this new song that’s dropping tonight. One thing nobody can ever criticise Horizon for is being boring. They have always changed their sound and adapted and been ahead of the curve since their very first album. Other bands play catch up and BMTH have already moved on. I don’t think you should ever bash a band too much for changing and experimenting. No, those experiments might not always come off as well as the band thinks they have, but they have always been confident in trying new things and stretching and incorporating new elements into their sound. 

Edited by Andre91

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Whilst I agree that BMTH should have headlined on That’s The Spirit, part of me is glad they didn’t because their live performance was ropey back then to say the least. They used backing tracks galore and the bits that Oli did sing sounded pretty awful. If they had turned up to Download and headlined like that, it would have been panned. 

Compare that to their last tour and APE, they’re a different band and Oli has definitely restored his voice and is sounded really great again. If they headlined and we’re as impressive as they were at APE, it’d go down far better. 

I’m genuinely quite excited for this new song that’s dropping tonight. One thing nobody can ever criticise Horizon for is being boring. They have always changed their sound and adapted and been ahead of the curve since their very first album. Other bands play catch up and BMTH have already moved on. I don’t think you should ever bash a band too much for changing and experimenting. No, those experiments might not always come off as well as the band thinks they have, but they have always been confident in trying new things and stretching and incorporating new elements into their sound. 

I thought we reached the conclusion that Sykes couldn't sing a long time ago though?