Download 2021

Bandit Tom

7 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

about the future of Download, there's still a lot of bands that could headline within the next 10 years.

All bands that already headlined

Iron Maiden
Audioslave (Done)
Linkin Park (Done)
Metallica
Feeder (Don't know why they ever headlined, will never do it again)
Black Sabbath (Done)
System Of A Down
Tool
Guns N'Roses
My Chemical Romance
Kiss
The Offspring (Got down on the lineup, don't know if they can headline again)
LostProphets (Done)
Faith No More (Same as Offspring)
Def Leppard
AC/DC (Done?)
Rage Against The Machine
Aerosmith
The Prodigy (Done)
Rammstein
Avenged Sevenfold
Muse
Biffy Clyro
Ozzy Osbourne (Done)

Big acts that could headline but never did

Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters
Green Day
Blink-182
Queens Of The Stone Age
Bon Jovi

Bands that could be bumped soon

Bring Me The Horizon
Five Finger Death Punch
Parkway Drive
A Day To Remember

Bands that could be bumped later

Ghost
Architects
Sabaton (?)
Greta Van Fleet (?)

We know that things can happen, big bands could broke up from out of nowhere (Linkin Park, The Prodigy) and a lot of possible "future headliners" could never do it (BFMV, Machine Head and Steel Panther were called future headliners once).

These lists are pointless. Download doesn’t have that many options, otherwise they wouldn’t keep recycling the same old bands. 

Ozzy isn't done just yet, he was meant to be retiring from touring (with his final tour keep getting reschedule and still not done yet) and is willing to do one off gigs and release albums.

Prodigy are still going on and are currently working on new music.

17 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Won that competition to be in the Kerrang and Andy Copping Zoom call. Its released this week I think and here is what he said:

- Artists have first refusal to 2021

- Billie Eilish wouldn't be booked due to being too pop (someone actually asked that)

- He would think of co-headlines (said once wasnt really emphasised)

- Future of Download relies on people getting behind new bands even if people dont like them.

- Pool of bands to bump up are BMTH, Parkway Drive, FFDP. (Usual people he says but doesn't bump up)

- Loves the Angry Copping account.

- The bump ups he has made have been successful (Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Biffy Clyro, MCR)

- Loads of artists wanna play 2021, first point also.

- Artists very cooperative with DLTV and Maiden surprised him with the hour of footage as they hardly do things like that.

- Artists are being booked for later editions if they cannot do 2021.

- Got the job through knowing a lot about music and working his way up through DJing and talking to people, promoting, saying who people love to dance to the most and was picked up by DL.

- A drive in type event will be announced within the next few days. 

If I remember any more I will post. Something to get your teeth into.

Tell me how Biffy Clyro looking at their crowd and MCR who got bottled was successful

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I disagree, Download isn't the scene for them. I can almost guarantee that they wouldn't play Download again over Reading for example, almost sure of it.

Depends where FR fancy sticking them tbh, but they’d definitely get a better reception at Download these days than in 2007 - they were seen as a lame new band for kids back then, whereas now they’re making their comeback bigger than ever, with all of their fans grown up. There wouldn’t be a bottle in sight (although tbf that trend seems to have died out at festivals altogether, thankfully).

6 hours ago, strangerkings said:

Biffy, Green Day,

SOAD, Kiss,

MCR, RATM,

BMTH, Muse,

Maiden, A7X,

Foo Fighters, Metallica,

Aerosmith, Rammstein,

FFDP, Ozzy

Realistically any of these could headline next year, but i'm expecting something safe like Kiss/SOAD/Biffy

Green Day are doing the Hella Mega Tour so they’re out. 

MCR are doing MK so they’re out. 

RATM are in the US over Download weekend so they’re out. 

Iron Maiden have explicitly said they can’t play 2021 so they’re out. 

Rammstein are doing stadiums here in June so they’re out. 

Ozzy is in no shape to tour so he’s out. 

I do think your predicted trio of KISS, SOAD & Biffy is correct, though. 

30 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Am I right in thinking Pearl Jams 2020 UK date was cancelled rather than postponed? Makes then a candidate for Download 2021 if so. 

Don’t think we’ve had any confirmation on it yet as BST haven’t announced any of their 2021 headliners or who will be returning. 

Pearl Jam would be a perfect Sunday headliner. I can’t see it happening, though. 

Download should forget about the KISS’, Def Leppard’s and the Ozzy’s and start going all out to get bands like Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters as the ‘older’ headliners. Easier said than done, I know. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Pearl Jam would be a perfect Sunday headliner. I can’t see it happening, though. 

Download should forget about the KISS’, Def Leppard’s and the Ozzy’s and start going all out to get bands like Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters as the ‘older’ headliners. Easier said than done, I know. 

I’m sure both Pearl Jam and Foos are some of the first phone calls made every time they’re on the touring scene but for one reason or another they just don’t happen. RHCP are a weird one because I suppose they’re not really the vibe Download is about, but I can imagine them going down well.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m sure both Pearl Jam and Foos are some of the first phone calls made every time they’re on the touring scene but for one reason or another they just don’t happen. RHCP are a weird one because I suppose they’re not really the vibe Download is about, but I can imagine them going down well.

I think it’s because when the Foos come here they want to do something big ticket. Download is a big festival but it’s not got the same reach as some of the other Radio 1 backed events.

When Pearl Jam come here they want to play to their fans.

Edited by Matt42

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s because when the Foos come here they want to do something big ticket. Download is a big festival but it’s not got the same reach as some of the other Radio 1 backed events.

When Pearl Jam come here they want to play to their fans.

Also, Dave Grohl has played Download once before and he was met with a terrible reception as part of Them Crooked Vultures. They were stuck on a side stage and weren’t even allowed to stand on the same stage as the headliners at Donnington that day. You’re telling me that hasn’t played a part in Download failing to get the Foo Fighters? When you think about it, why on earth would Dave Grohl want to return to a festival where he was treated like that when he can just take the Foos to Reading and get a heroes welcome every time or do their own stadium shows. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Don’t think we’ve had any confirmation on it yet as BST haven’t announced any of their 2021 headliners or who will be returning. 

Ah ok thanks.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Agreed :)

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Also, Dave Grohl has played Download once before and he was met with a terrible reception as part of Them Crooked Vultures. They were stuck on a side stage and weren’t even allowed to stand on the same stage as the headliners at Donnington that day. You’re telling me that hasn’t played a part in Download failing to get the Foo Fighters? When you think about it, why on earth would Dave Grohl want to return to a festival where he was treated like that when he can just take the Foos to Reading and get a heroes welcome every time or do their own stadium shows. 

I doubt that factors too much into it, Dave doesn't strike me as the type to hold onto an insignificant thing like that. A lot of festivals in Europe use the two alternating mainstage set up anyway, he was probably none the wiser about what was happening. 

I genuinely think that Foo Fighters haven't been booked before because they're realistically the most commercial headliner Download could get & they have numerous other options like stadium shows and other festivals (Glasto, R&L, IOW, Radio 1 etc.) that a lot of other headliners couldn't do. I'm fairly confident they will headline at some point in the future. They very nearly did in 08 & most likely would have done in 17 if not for having to reschedule Glastonbury. 

49 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I doubt that factors too much into it, Dave doesn't strike me as the type to hold onto an insignificant thing like that. A lot of festivals in Europe use the two alternating mainstage set up anyway, he was probably none the wiser about what was happening. 

I genuinely think that Foo Fighters haven't been booked before because they're realistically the most commercial headliner Download could get & they have numerous other options like stadium shows and other festivals (Glasto, R&L, IOW, Radio 1 etc.) that a lot of other headliners couldn't do. I'm fairly confident they will headline at some point in the future. They very nearly did in 08 & most likely would have done in 17 if not for having to reschedule Glastonbury. 

He would have been aware that AC/DC had their own stage that nobody else was allowed to perform on. I mean, it wasn’t exactly inconspicuous, was it. 

I honestly do believe that Download’s failure to get Foos is down to Dave’s experience at Download in 2010. 

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I genuinely believe that is a pretty poor attempt to sum up Dave not doing Download with the Foo Fighters. Dave turned up and then found out his band wouldn't be on the same stage as AC/DC? He most likely doesn't want to work for that annoying knob anymore and I can't say I blame him.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

He would have been aware that AC/DC had their own stage that nobody else was allowed to perform on. I mean, it wasn’t exactly inconspicuous, was it. 

I honestly do believe that Download’s failure to get Foos is down to Dave’s experience at Download in 2010. 

No it wasn't inconspicuous, but like I said it's not uncommon at a lot of festivals in Europe (& the US) to have two mainstages, which essentially that was. I don't see how that translates to him being annoyed at the festival, I doubt he even remembers it. This supposed awful experience also didn't stop Josh coming back with QOTSA...

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

No it wasn't inconspicuous, but like I said it's not uncommon at a lot of festivals in Europe (& the US) to have two mainstages, which essentially that was. I don't see how that translates to him being annoyed at the festival, I doubt he even remembers it. This supposed awful experience also didn't stop Josh coming back with QOTSA...

Why would it? QOTSA aren't a bonafide headliner than demand top spot wherever they want and that is the difference. QOTSA need Download a lot more than FF ever will do. When you choose to play Glastonbury first it says a lot and to be honest I think they only did that to tick it off.

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It wasn't two Main Stages at Download. It was a Main Stage and then an even bigger stage that nobody else was allowed to play all weekend. That is totally different to, say, Hellfest which has two actual Main Stages. 

As for 'I doubt he even remembers it', this is Donington we're talking about. Dave Grohl will have likely grown up watching videos of bands he loved playing there and was probably at least a little bit stoked he was getting to finally play there after being in bands for so many years, only to be relegated to a side stage and greeted with apathy from most and hostility by a minority. I would definitely bet that he remembers it and that is why Download hasn't ever convinced, nor probably ever will convince, the Foo Fighters that playing their festival is a better option than Reading and Glastonbury etc. 

Edited by Andre91