Download 2021

Bandit Tom

Copping was on Chris Jericho's podcast and talked about how he sees A Day To Remember, Bring Me The Horizon, Five Finger Death Punch and Parkway Drive as future headliners soon and the 2021 line up will largely be like 2020s. 

There's also a few titbits like how in the first year they only made a profit due to Limp Bizkit pulling out and not being replaced. He also made sure to mention about how bands have thanked him and how he was proved right about this and that. 

Edited by jump

37 minutes ago, jump said:

Copping was on Chris Jericho's podcast and talked about how he sees A Day To Remember, Bring Me The Horizon, Five Finger Death Punch and Parkway Drive as future headliners soon and the 2021 line up will largely be like 2020s. 

There's also a few titbits like how in the first year they only made a profit due to Limp Bizkit pulling out and not being replaced. He also made sure to mention about how bands have thanked him and how he was proved right about this and that. 

I’ve listened to the episode. He is absolutely full of shit. 

He just named the same bands he has been doing for at least five years (BMTH, FFDP etc) yet he never shows any true desire for them to headline because he never does it and gives them that push. This must be the third or fourth different podcast I’ve heard him on over the last 3-4 years just repeating the same thing time and time again but not doing anything about it. He bangs on about bands he sees as future headliners yet has only promoted two bands (Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold) in a decade. 

If the 2021 lineup is going to he largely similar to this year, 2022 is their chance to change direction a bit and give big slots to first time bands. 

Get two of FFDP, Ghost and Parkway Drive headlining separate nights if they’ve got Maiden for 2022.

Get Architects, Halestorm and Sabaton subbing, for example. Hell, even Trivium subbing would be a welcome addition after the tear they’ve been on in recent years. 

Get Amon Amarth, Don Broco, Behemoth and Greta Van Fleet headlining the Zippo or playing third down Main Stage. 

It won’t happen though. I’ve got more confidence in us ending up with the likes of Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Lamb of God, Slash & Myles Kennedy and Alter Bridge again. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

He just named the same bands he has been doing for at least five years (BMTH, FFDP etc) yet he never shows any true desire for them to headline because he never does it and gives them that push. This must be the third or fourth different podcast I’ve heard him on over the last 3-4 years just repeating the same thing time and time again but not doing anything about it. He bangs on about bands he sees as future headliners yet has only promoted two bands (Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold) in a decade. 

If the 2021 lineup is going to he largely similar to this year, 2022 is their chance to change direction a bit and give big slots to first time bands. 

Get two of FFDP, Ghost and Parkway Drive headlining separate nights if they’ve got Maiden for 2022.

Get Architects, Halestorm and Sabaton subbing, for example. Hell, even Trivium subbing would be a welcome addition after the tear they’ve been on in recent years. 

Get Amon Amarth, Don Broco, Behemoth and Greta Van Fleet headlining the Zippo or playing third down Main Stage. 

It won’t happen though. I’ve got more confidence in us ending up with the likes of Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Lamb of God, Slash & Myles Kennedy and Alter Bridge again. 

As you say, he's full of shit. I like the bloke about as much as Boris Johnson.

However, you are not going to get a Sabaton or Halestorm sub.

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Just to be pedantic Slipknot was in 2009 so over a decade ago now, even then that year Deaf Leppard and Faith No More weren't the most exciting of headliners so I suspect it could have been out of desperation rather than seeing what Slipknot could achieve in that spot. You could also probably add Prodigy in the list of bands bumped up.

I'm a big Ghost fan but I don't see them headlining before Parkway Drive, Bring Me The Horizon and FFDP just yet. I'd reckon they are more included get Blink 182 to headline before they try to make a new headliner. Actually thinking about it if they use Blink as an excuse to have Transplants first UK show and Rancid on the bill I'd be happy with that.

Tbf I was pretty surprised that Slipknot weren't already headlining back in 2005 when they were subbing SOAD. Already had their fair share of chart success (including a number one album), infamous live show, songs that were already metal standards and cracking the charts. Suppose that's all easy to say in hindsight, but in a year where they had Feeder headlining (albeit on the once and gone 'indie' day), Slipknot would've been an easy bump up, even if they had only played third down the prior year.

^Yeah Slipknot were always a band that looked liked they will gone onto headline one day. People were just surprised that Slipknot were headlining Download that specific year as the prior year (before the pulled out anyway) they were 3rd down on the R&L bill.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Just to be pedantic Slipknot was in 2009 so over a decade ago now, even then that year Deaf Leppard and Faith No More weren't the most exciting of headliners so I suspect it could have been out of desperation rather than seeing what Slipknot could achieve in that spot. 

I'd disagree with that, you had Faith No More coming back from a 10 year hiatus & Def Leppard playing at Donington for the first time in 23 years supported by Whitesnake who hadn't played there for 19 years. It's easy to look back on that set of headliners and say 'meh' because of how things have been booked since, but at the time it was a solid trio. 

If anything probably spurred them on to bump Slipknot in 09 it was the year prior where they lost all 3 almost confirmed headliners in quick succession & had to go groveling to Kiss with their cheque book open to secure 1 decent sized headliner. 

I'd be shocked if Andy gave someone like BMTH, Parkway or ADTR the bump to headline, it must kill him inside to think they will headline DL.

How many times has he bullshitted in the past, System have lost credibility to headline since the subbed R&L, Deftones not to big to sub 2nd stage, Babymetal will never be booked, Dizzee Rascal could play DL etc even Matt Tuck from Bullet called him out on booking the same headliners year after year, yeah we all respect the legendary acts and what they've done, but people also want something new and fresh, the list of bands who haven't played is huge and I doubt they've all rejected to play they just probably haven't been approached.

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'd disagree with that, you had Faith No More coming back from a 10 year hiatus & Def Leppard playing at Donington for the first time in 23 years supported by Whitesnake who hadn't played there for 19 years. It's easy to look back on that set of headliners and say 'meh' because of how things have been booked since, but at the time it was a solid trio. 

If anything probably spurred them on to bump Slipknot in 09 it was the year prior where they lost all 3 almost confirmed headliners in quick succession & had to go groveling to Kiss with their cheque book open to secure 1 decent sized headliner. 

Faith No More had their own UK tour as well as playing R&L that year, I actually remember deciding not to go to Download as Faith No More where playing elsewhere. Whilst it was great they were making their comeback they weren't headliner size before that. 

I really couldn't give a fuck about Def Leppard, all the people I go to gigs and festivals with don't give a fuck a Def Leppard but they aren't really aimed for me. They are for the Monsters of Rock crowd from the 80s so if they are happy with Def Leppard good for them. 

1 hour ago, jump said:

Faith No More had their own UK tour as well as playing R&L that year, I actually remember deciding not to go to Download as Faith No More where playing elsewhere. Whilst it was great they were making their comeback they weren't headliner size before that. 

I really couldn't give a fuck about Def Leppard, all the people I go to gigs and festivals with don't give a fuck a Def Leppard but they aren't really aimed for me. They are for the Monsters of Rock crowd from the 80s so if they are happy with Def Leppard good for them. 

FNM played one date at Brixton academy on the Wednesday of Download, hardly a tour. They were announced for R&L after Download had already taken place. Download was their first big headline show since returning. 

You not giving a fuck about Def Leppard doesn't change the fact that in 09 they were a good & fresh booking for the festival. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

FNM played one date at Brixton academy on the Wednesday of Download, hardly a tour. They were announced for R&L after Download had already taken place. 

You not giving a fuck about Def Leppard doesn't change the fact that in 09 they were a good & fresh booking for the festival. 

Nah, they were announced in April. I remember what happened as my group changed their plans because of it. They were not meant to be announced till after Download but when they started touring the back of their merch showed dates for R&L. They also did more of their own UK shows in Aug.

Fresh is bit of a stretch for Def Leppard, first time booking sure but no one was talking about how fresh Def Leppard were to the music scene in 2009. The sad thing is Monsters of Rock died off as they kept booking the same outdated 80s stuff as it had become irrelevant in the 90s and Download was meant to be the contemporary update but they ended up booking it anyway.

42 minutes ago, jump said:

Nah, they were announced in April. I remember what happened as my group changed their plans because of it. They were not meant to be announced till after Download but when they started touring the back of their merch showed dates for R&L. They also did more of their own UK shows in Aug.

Fresh is bit of a stretch for Def Leppard, first time booking sure but no one was talking about how fresh Def Leppard were to the music scene in 2009. The sad thing is Monsters of Rock died off as they kept booking the same outdated 80s stuff as it had become irrelevant in the 90s and Download was meant to be the contemporary update but they ended up booking it anyway.

No they 'accidentally' stated they were playing R&L, they weren't announced officially until Download was over. The only other UK date they did on that tour was a show in Edinburgh close to R&L which was also confirmed after Download. Whatever way you try to justify it, at the time of their reunion Download was the first major show announced & played & they got a lot of credit for that. 

I agree about your point on Def Leppard not being fresh. But by that point the festival had already fallen into the trap of having Metallica, Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath, GnR, so Def Leppard sat comfortably in that company & as a first time booking for the festival & returning to Donington after 20+ years it was a big deal. (Not to me, I think they're shite, but it doesn't cloud by judgment on why the festival booked them). 

I can almost see why Download fell into that trap as well, it was the only festival trying to book the majority of those MOR type bands at the time & they drew huge numbers. Where as at the time R&L was a big competitor & was more successful in booking the type of acts Download should (& to a big degree were) aiming for; Green Day, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters etc. 

I think Download also made mistakes earlier on in not pushing acts that could & probably should have headlined at the time: Korn, Manson, Slipknot prior to 09 etc. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

^This is going into silly buggers territory but Download announce them as headliners in March and Faith No More self confirm for R&L in April (dated links below) so for month they had "credit" for not even their first UK show back. This also doesn't really change they weren't headliner sized in the first place, it was even debated at the time on this forum, I found the comment if Def Leppard could headline then Faith No More can funny.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/09/090422b.shtml

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/09/090302e.shtml

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/113199-faith-no-more/

Like I said they self confirmed incorrectly, swiftly deleted it & were officially confirmed after Download took place: 

http://www.thrashhits.com/2009/06/faith-no-more-re-confirm-reading-and-leeds-festival-2009-appearances-via-tshirt/

Sure they're not the biggest headliner they've ever had, but they didn't seem wholy out of place to me in a previous pool that included: Offspring, Lostprophets, Feeder, Audioslave etc. Andy went out of his way to make the FNM reunion happen (look it up), so to suggest the organisers panic booked Slipknot because of the other two headliners was just incorrect. 

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Like I said they self confirmed incorrectly, swiftly deleted it & were officially confirmed after Download took place: 

http://www.thrashhits.com/2009/06/faith-no-more-re-confirm-reading-and-leeds-festival-2009-appearances-via-tshirt/

Sure they're not the biggest headliner they've ever had, but they didn't seem wholy out of place to me in a previous pool that included: Offspring, Lostprophets, Feeder, Audioslave etc. Andy went out of his way to make the FNM reunion happen (look it up), so to suggest the organisers panic booked Slipknot because of the other two headliners was just incorrect. 

You're proving my point by putting them on par with Feeder and Lostprophets lol. At least Faith No More would move down the card rather than keeping them in a headliner spot like Def Leppard.

30 minutes ago, jump said:

You're proving my point by putting them on par with Feeder and Lostprophets lol. At least Faith No More would move down the card rather than keeping them in a headliner spot like Def Leppard.

Not really because your original point was that the organisers were desperate because of the other two headliners. My point was that one of those headliners the lead booker had spent months convincing to reunite to play hence they clearly thought they were worth it & the other was a well established MOR band playing on site for the first time in over two decades. There wasn't anything more to it than that. 

I watched the FMM set again the other day and it was SO good. That was definitely a big booking back then, even more so considering the headliners they were left with the year before in 2008. Def Leppard was a big booking too and went down a storm. The only problem is that their day essentially created the designated dad rock that has pretty much been a staple of Download weekend ever since. 

• Upvote 1

Won that competition to be in the Kerrang and Andy Copping Zoom call. Its released this week I think and here is what he said:

- Artists have first refusal to 2021

- Billie Eilish wouldn't be booked due to being too pop (someone actually asked that)

- He would think of co-headlines (said once wasnt really emphasised)

- Future of Download relies on people getting behind new bands even if people dont like them.

- Pool of bands to bump up are BMTH, Parkway Drive, FFDP. (Usual people he says but doesn't bump up)

- Loves the Angry Copping account.

- The bump ups he has made have been successful (Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Biffy Clyro, MCR)

- Loads of artists wanna play 2021, first point also.

- Artists very cooperative with DLTV and Maiden surprised him with the hour of footage as they hardly do things like that.

- Artists are being booked for later editions if they cannot do 2021.

- Got the job through knowing a lot about music and working his way up through DJing and talking to people, promoting, saying who people love to dance to the most and was picked up by DL.

- A drive in type event will be announced within the next few days. 

If I remember any more I will post. Something to get your teeth into.

about the future of Download, there's still a lot of bands that could headline within the next 10 years.

All bands that already headlined

Iron Maiden
Audioslave (Done)
Linkin Park (Done)
Metallica
Feeder (Don't know why they ever headlined, will never do it again)
Black Sabbath (Done)
System Of A Down
Tool
Guns N'Roses
My Chemical Romance
Kiss
The Offspring (Got down on the lineup, don't know if they can headline again)
LostProphets (Done)
Faith No More (Same as Offspring)
Def Leppard
AC/DC (Done?)
Rage Against The Machine
Aerosmith
The Prodigy (Done)
Rammstein
Avenged Sevenfold
Muse
Biffy Clyro
Ozzy Osbourne (Done)

Big acts that could headline but never did

Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters
Green Day
Blink-182
Queens Of The Stone Age
Bon Jovi

Bands that could be bumped soon

Bring Me The Horizon
Five Finger Death Punch
Parkway Drive
A Day To Remember

Bands that could be bumped later

Ghost
Architects
Sabaton (?)
Greta Van Fleet (?)

We know that things can happen, big bands could broke up from out of nowhere (Linkin Park, The Prodigy) and a lot of possible "future headliners" could never do it (BFMV, Machine Head and Steel Panther were called future headliners once).

• Upvote 1